Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky tv how to move forward with complaint

Options
  • 20-09-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Sky tv have been overcharging me for a long time over an issue that was previously made out to be the fault of my phone line. It transpires now after a couple of years that the issue could now actually be the box and not the phone line after all.

Through all the calls I made to Sky about this issue, it was never once suggested to me that the fault could be with the box and therefore no suggestion was made to me regarding either a call out for repair or even a replacement. I'm now being told that if I want either of these then I would have to pay extra.

I have called and complained many, many times, I have been told that someone would contact me but this has never happened. I called again today and was told that someone would call me back but nothing.

No one is listening to me and I'm tired of trying to fight my corner, so my question is, how do I proceed further? Sky is based in the UK so do I have to contact some sort of consumer agency there or can I do it in Ireland? I want to cancel my account but not before I get some sort of recognition and refund.

Any help that anyone could give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

From any dealing I have had with Sky I seem to think they don't give too much back via phone or email for that matter. Have you tried writing a letter, it may make your case stand out more. Sky should be registered in Ireland I'm sure they are. The national consumer agency would tell you that and let you know if a small claims procedure is an option. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Redmal wrote: »
    Sky tv have been overcharging me for a long time over an issue that was previously made out to be the fault of my phone line. It transpires now after a couple of years that the issue could now actually be the box and not the phone line after all.

Through all the calls I made to Sky about this issue, it was never once suggested to me that the fault could be with the box and therefore no suggestion was made to me regarding either a call out for repair or even a replacement. I'm now being told that if I want either of these then I would have to pay extra.

I have called and complained many, many times, I have been told that someone would contact me but this has never happened. I called again today and was told that someone would call me back but nothing.

No one is listening to me and I'm tired of trying to fight my corner, so my question is, how do I proceed further? Sky is based in the UK so do I have to contact some sort of consumer agency there or can I do it in Ireland? I want to cancel my account but not before I get some sort of recognition and refund.

Any help that anyone could give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent a complaint in to Sky about 7 years. Followed it up for about 3 and just lost patience. Still waiting on their response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ring them up and tell the agent you wish to cancel your sky subscription because of the ongoing problem which they have never sorted out. You should be put through to their detentions team who may be better able to sort the mess out? Ask them for an address in Ireland that you can send written details of the complaint to.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Tazium

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Ring them up and tell the agent you wish to cancel your sky subscription because of the ongoing problem which they have never sorted out. You should be put through to their detentions team who may be better able to sort the mess out? Ask them for an address in Ireland that you can send written details of the complaint to.

It actually sounds better than retentions! Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

I called the National Consumer Agency today and they told me that I would have to go through the ECC (for anything European because they are actually a UK based company). I called Sky again today to find out why no one called me yesterday, I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere but my rant felt good.

The ECC told me to get as much information regarding my issues with Sky together that I can and forward the lot on to them so I hope this is a sign that I'm going to get something positive out of this. Thanks for the help and just to reiterate, I really hate Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sky ireland are based in Ireland so you should be dealing with the Irish small claims court afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

That's what I thought but the fella from the National Consumer Agency said that I had to go through the European Consumer Centre because they are a UK based business even though they have offices in Ireland. I'm not sure why they have offices in Ireland if that is the case. It's probably my money that's been paying for them!

The ECC is Irish, they just fight all your European battles for you the same way the National Consumer Agency does for your Irish ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Sky are an utter disgrace, I missed one direct debit team in about ten years and was cut off, without any notification. I phoned up a month ago and asked for somebody to call me back but surprise surprise nobody has.

Im going to cancel my direct debit after I get a different provider in and let them swing !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Here is what I would do for the present;

1. Get out my copy of the contract with Sky.

2. Find the address of Sky in the contract and their proper name under which they are contracting with you. I expect that they should have a registered business or trading address in Ireland even though they are a UK company.

3. Many contracts will usually specify the country whose laws will apply to it. e.g. this contract is subject to the laws of the Republic of Ireland.
    Check that point.

4.Write a detailed but coincise letter of complaint setting out the actual problem and the timeline of events e.g. when you phoned and so on. Tell them in clear language that if there is no resolution within 10 days you will issue legal proceedings without further notice.

5. Send that letter by registered post so that there is no doubt about it having been received. You can track registered post on the internet and print off confirmation of the date on which it was received.

Advertisement