Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What graphics card?

Options
  • 20-09-2011 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Having serious trouble deciding, coming from two 9800GTX 512MB in my Dell XPS so whatever I choose will be a major overhaul!

Mainly want to be playing Skyrim on the best possible settings. My options are

Asus Radeon 6970 2GB

Asus GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB

It'll probably be about two years before I have the money for a brand new card so I'd like the best performance and staying power possible.
    Also I'm extra keen on the GTX because I'd get Arkham City for free:cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The 6970 is better but the 570 is usually cheaper to make up for it. TBH it really depends on where you're ordering from and what price they are at. If they are both the same then I'd get the 6970. If the 570 is €40-€50 cheaper then its probably better value. If its somewhere in between it depends on how much you'd like the free game :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What pc is it?

I presume some dells quad core, 4gb ram etc?

I would guess it's very simlar machine to my xps420 if you have 8800gtx in it.

You got 8800gtx so you should have 425 power supply. Don't be fooled by dell power supplies, they might look like low psu, but they are little monsters inside.

I had 8800gt in my one, so my psu was 375. I got 6870 few months ago. It works perfect. Recommended psu for this card is 500.

If that's the quad core dell I am thinking of, then there is no point for you to go with higher then 6870. I got it, amd I cam say it's being bottlenecked by the system already. Anything higher then this gpu is a waste of money.

Gtx470 will take more power then 6870, but they are both similar performance.

I hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

What pc is it?

I presume some dells quad core, 4gb ram etc?

I would guess it's very simlar machine to my xps420 if you have 8800gtx in it.

You got 8800gtx so you should have 425 power supply. Don't be fooled by dell power supplies, they might look like low psu, but they are little monsters inside.

I had 8800gt in my one, so my psu was 375. I got 6870 few months ago. It works perfect. Recommended psu for this card is 500.

If that's the quad core dell I am thinking of, then there is no point for you to go with higher then 6870. I got it, amd I cam say it's being bottlenecked by the system already. Anything higher then this gpu is a waste of money.

Gtx470 will take more power then 6870, but they are both similar performance.

I hope it helps.

Hey man, no I'm doing a whole new build, I meant that the laptop I currently have, has two 9800GT's in it :) Dell XPS M1730. For sale if anyone is interested

Advertisement