Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been mugged, robbed or burgled?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I was robbed in work when I stupidly left my wallet in my bag in the staff room. Someone took 50 quid out of my wallet but left everything else. I'm quite glad I don't work there anymore but I wouldn't exactly find it traumatic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Myself I've been lucky so far.
    A friend got her handbag nicked in Barcelona when we were out drinking. Amazing thieves, one guy distracted her for a second while the other reached around her and got the bag. I was sitting next to her and didn't cop until a few mins later that it was gone. Fortunately it didn't have much stuff in it.
    Morale: don't trust anyone in Barcelona :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

biko wrote: »
    A friend got her handbag nicked in Barcelona when we were out drinking. Amazing thieves, one guy distracted her for a second while the other reached around her and got the bag. I was sitting next to her and didn't cop until a few mins later that it was gone. Fortunately it didn't have much stuff in it.

Barcelona is terrible like that.

I was coming back from a club over there and a guy was handing out flyers (should have wondered at 5am)

He handed me one, was nowhere near me and for some reason I checked and wallet gone. I shouted at him and he just said "You got me" and handed it back

Still get shudders about that

Also twice mugged with syringes in Dublin CC... Horrible experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Had my purse stolen in a pub once at Warren st in London.

A few weeks earlier my friend had hers stolen there, so we were all being extra vigilant. Some thieves are masters at their trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Attempted mugging on Mary St when I was about 13/14. 3 of us walking down the road, two guys come up behind us, tell us to keep walking down to the laneway. One mate decides no fncking way, tells the "muggers" that he's going into the next shop. So the mugger panics, tells us to sit down on a windowsill in front of a shop. Again, same mate, "No, fnck off, I'm going in here". Mugger panics again, punches my mate in the face and the two of them ran off.

They didn't sound like scumbags, and one mugger did all the talking while his mate stood there petrified, so we reckon they were probably D4 types trying their luck with getting a bit of extra cash. They weren't much taller than us, so probably no older than 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Came home late one evening, myself the missus and the daughter who was only a baby at the time. I was carrying her, so brought her straight up to bed, the missus went into the kitchen and shouted at me that the back door glass was smashed and the door opened, i came down and had a look but nothing was gone, even though there was cash on the kitchen table. Had a look out the back and found a welders hammer and a butchers knife, must have came home right at the second they were coming in and they legged it.
    Literally a few seconds later and we'd have walked in on them in the house, armed with a hammer and a knife - could have been a completely different story. Fúcking scumbags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Seachmall wrote: »
    Mugged = Physical confrontation on the street (or wherever) where they take stuff.
    Robbed = Something taken without your knowledge.
    Burgled = Someone breaking into your house and taking stuff.

I'm guessing anyway.

And no to all 3.

Actually a robbery is a theft committed with the use of force. A mugging would fall under this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭McNulty737

Yep, yeah and yes unfortunately.

Mugged when i was around 7, got a few whacks over the head with a big stick and had money stolen. Again when i was around 12 - tennis racket stolen. And when 13 me and two mates where jumped by around 12 knackers and took a quick beating + had football robbed = mugged twice and attacked/robbed once - all three incidents in the same park (peoples park, waterford).

Had car broken into and laptop stolen from it around 7 years ago = robbed.

And had apartment burgled and painting i paid 300 quid for stolen from it. = burgled.

Also had bike stolen from house a few years ago.

I absolutely hate scumbags, and waterford is one of the worst cities in Ireland for them, dangerous ****hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I love how all of the internet nerds are like ****ing rambo when somebody tries to rob them. Either these posters are exaggerating or are very lucky. If you were to try some of the heroics outlined in this thread you'd most likely get a knife in the throat.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

snotboogie wrote: »
    I love how all of the internet nerds are like ****ing rambo when somebody tries to rob them. Either these posters are exaggerating or are very lucky. If you were to try some of the heroics outlined in this thread you'd most likely get a knife in the throat.....
    Why do you have to be a nerd to use the internet? Its not the 90s anymore everyone has a laptop, Pc or phone dumbass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

Why do you have to be a nerd to use the internet? Its not the 90s anymore everyone has a laptop, Pc or phone dumbass.

Does that mean he is an internet nerd, because he is on the internet too?

Have never been mugged, robbed or burgled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ya focus on that part of my post :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Old house was broken into a few times when I was a kid thanks to the family of drug addicts nextdoor.

Two different shops in the North Inner City were held up a good few times when I was working there,scariest was when a fella poured petrol everywhere and threatened to light it if we didn't give him the money,the other ones were syringes and a lad with a lump hammer.We always gave the money over.

Was held up at knifepoint by two eastern european lads a few years ago off O'Connell Street,only had €10 and my phone on me though.

I've no luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

No, thank God!

*Touches wood*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

biko wrote: »

Barcelona & Madrid = muggings & pickpocketing.

remember coming out of an irish bar on a stag over there and notice there was about 10 greasy looking fcukers hanging about outside, they kept walking up to the drunken folk staggering out of the pub trying to shake their hands while at the same time kneeing the back of their knee (to make your leg wobble) once off balance they were pickpocketing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I was mugged in London. TBH, it's a right of passage when you're in London. It's the first sign that you have truly arrived in the English capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Somebody tried to break into my house a while back. We hadd cctv at the time. It showed them trying the windows at the front o the house and then trying the back patio door. Then it showed my doberman running at full speed towards them from the garage. It was very satisfying to watch them fleeing. Even more so when he got one of their arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

Yeah I was mugged once in Carlow at 3 o'clock in the day.

I also saw two guys throw a broken pogo stick at one of my friends for no reason. A Large and heavy lump of metal. He was lucky that it hit the guitar on his back because it was headed for the back of his neck otherwise. Smashed a big hole in the guitar though.
    They then started puching people who walked past and said they were going to burn down the Xtra vision we were all outside.

Advertisement