Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festival Rumour 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

Mushy wrote: »
    You are crazy:-P

So I am then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

would you think there is any chance of Rammstein playing some of the european summer festivals around June (like RIP/RAM). Their schedule takes them up till the end of May when they finish the north american leg of their tour. any chance?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

382859_291265647583574_136817386361735_846864_482006141_n.jpg

Looks like Machine Head wont be headlining any festivals anytime soon . Only sold 5000 tickets for Wembley which holds 12,000 (Kinda reminds me of 30 Seconds To Mars in the O2 in dublin 2 years ago)
    These are certainly exciting times for Machine Head. They managed to follow up The Blackening with an equally stunning record, which penetrated many lists as a highlight of heavy metal in 2011 including our very own Thrash Hits Top 20. Tonight they play Wembley Arena, not as second fiddle to the likes of Metallica or Slipknot, but as headliners in their own right. Hopefully…

Six things we found out when we went to see Machine Head at Wembley:

1) Let’s be honest here – most Devildriver fans would have come anyway to see Machine Head, so in that respect they were a good booking. The more bang for buck, the more bums on seats, so to speak, but it’s hard to feel enthusiastic about a band that have very little substance beyond the hype and epitomise how generic modern metal can be. This isn’t helped by Dez Fafara’s tendency to be very static on stage, and tonight’s performance does little more than just satisfy the die-hards on the front row. And what of Darkest Hour…

2) This tour has essentially ruined Machine Head’s chances of headlining a festival and moving up into regular arena tours. No one has ever doubted their ability to headline Brixton Academy or support Metallica at the O2 Arena, but if they want to prove they are ready to become a major league metal band like Slipknot did a few years ago, they need to deliver. With Download Festival booker Andy Copping watching intently from the side of stage and a Facebook campaign, the pressure sure is on for Machine ****in’ Head. Sadly, it’s ****ing empty in here and there are rumours that this tour has lost promoters a total of £250,000. OUCH.

3) Machine Head are going to be stuck playing to the same 5,000 fans for the rest of their career. To sell 12,000 tickets, the promoters and booking agents really should’ve focused more on the line-up and value for money. Announcing Bring Me The Horizon right from the start was seen as a bold move in the UK but Machine Head tour very regularly with BMTH peers, Suicide Silence across the USA. BMTH don’t sell that many fewer tickets than Machine Head in the UK so would’ve commanded a decent fee in exchange for bringing fans. Sadly, young BMTH fans will be less likely to be able to afford a £30 ticket to see their favourite band playing with Machine Head – a band that hasn’t really translated to a younger audience yet, and won’t ever whilst charging those kinds of prices.

4) Bring Me The Horizon always knew this was going to be a tough tour. It was inevitable they would be getting bottled heavily (even by their standards), though these dates also presented them with a great opportunity – the chance to win over some of their biggest doubters and Machine Head fans are probably only second to Slayer fans in their scepticism toward new music. Luckily, Oliver Sykes is a ****ing hero, as exemplified by this incredible quote.

“This song’s called, ‘I’m On Tour With Your Favourite Band So Suck My ****ing Dick.’”

Cue: applause. More, please. More… Anyway, judging by the size of the circle pit at the end of the set, BMTH won over more than their fair share of new fans and toured in luxury. At least it was a success for them.

5) It was all going so well, until at the very end of the set, images of fans looking emotional holding messages like, “Machine Head saved my life” are projected behind the band. Whilst we would never doubt the impact their music has had on people, it’s a bit much for a heavy metal concert and closer to a Michael Jackson level of self-indulgency. Shamone.

6) With seven albums under their belt, Machine Head can play a two-hour set that is absolutely rammed to the rafters with heavy metal anthems. Who can deny the power of ‘Davidian’, after all? Anyone with an average interest in this genre would be familiar with at least half of tonight’s setlist – and that says a lot about how important Machine Head are today.

3/6

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Factory Floor playing Forbidden Fruit according to band member tweet. https://twitter.com/#!/nikvoid/status/147011387997163520

• Advertisement

378914_10150618298913765_248188228764_11808745_1048824679_n.jpg

385159_10150526182905600_271730225599_11076474_1889638784_n.jpg

Linkin Park, and Soundgarden have now been confirmed for next summer's Rock am Ring, and lead a host of new acts to be confirmed for the German festival.

U.S. rock group Linkin Park are set showcase their new studio album and play the first time in five years at the twin festivals of Rock am Ring and Rock Im Park.

Also confirmed today are Chris Cornell's Soundgarden, Canada's Billy Talent, disco-rockers Gossip, and The Offspring, who are all confirmed as German exclusive performances.

The new additions also include Skrillex, Jack Black's Tenacious D, Deicide, M.I.A., Dick Brave & the Backbeats, Guano Apes, Donots, Lexy & K-Paul, Kasabian, The Subways, Enter Shikari, Motorhead, Marilyn Manson, Machine Head, Killswitch Engage, and Opeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Nice work on the line-ups. Mind if I ask where you get the info from? Any good sites out there for UK, Europe or indeed Irish festival line-ups?

Thinking maybe Twitter a good option to keep on top of this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Efestivals is a good port of call. I use the Download festival forums as it will cover all areas. Guesswork/logic applies lots too.

Read today Evanescence are doing RAR/RIP.

Soni twitter posted this

@Sonisphere Sonisphere

Back to work tomorrow, this was the last thing on my desk in 2011. http://twitpic.com/826900

Posted Image TwitPic
    50 minutes ago via TweetDeck

487380240.jpg

• Advertisement

Tomorrow eh? Strong bets are on Van Halen.

Tomorrow eh? Strong bets are on Van Halen.

Yea its looking like that . Hopefully they dont drag the announcement to long though . I think they will need to announce 2 headliners (eg Van Halen and RATM) and some strong other acts to get some good sales in asap . I know if they get VH it will sell a good bit of tickets but they will need to catch up on DL

UGLY KID JOE to Sweden Rock Festival this summer! Remember this song?

Refused confirmed for Groezerock

From DL
    Monday’s announcement will come in two parts. You’ll get 14 bands. Including three sub-headliners. Bring the noise…

The Cure have announced they will be headlining a string of European Festivals this Summer, with Germany's Hurricane & Southside Festivals and Sweden's Hultsfred Festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

The Cure have announced they will be headlining a string of European Festivals this Summer, with Germany's Hurricane & Southside Festivals and Sweden's Hultsfred Festival.

Nailed on for EP i'd say

Scuzz at 9pm are showing hours worth of bands in which one of them will be headliners for Sonisphere

From Download
    The first of tonight’s two announcements will be done on Zane Lowe’s BBC Radio 1 show. Make sure you tune in from 7pm.

The rest of the bands on tonight’s announcement will be revealed on Daniel Carter’s show around midnight. Who are you hoping for?!

Prodigy
    Chase & Status

Metallica
    Biffy Clyro

Black Sabbath

Soundgarden
    Chase and Status
    Biffy Clyro
    You Me At Six
    Tenacious D

All added to Download

Wonder what video it'll be for Soni headliner...gonna have to be a big one, cos Download is looking very good.

Wonder what video it'll be for Soni headliner...gonna have to be a big one, cos Download is looking very good.

So far on Scuzz they have showed Van Halen , Paramore , Tool , Rage Against The Machine , Rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

So far on Scuzz they have showed Van Halen , Paramore , Tool , Rage Against The Machine , Rush
    Paramore? I will lose all respect for that festival if this were true . . . .

Paramore? I will lose all respect for that festival if this were true . . . .

Yea but if Sonisphere spend a lot of their budget on 2 big headliners they would be cheap enough (although they would be a terrible headliner)

I think all 3 headliners for the festival will be shown over this hour

Foo Fighers on now (still think they will do Reading and Leeds)

Foo's playing now. Damn would they just announce it already!!! My feeling is Van Halen will play one of the nights

Avenged Sevenfold on now (i think give them 1 more album and they will ready to headline)

I think so far the headliners will either be Van Halen , Rush , Tool or RATM

8) Faith No More and 9) Kiss

3 more to go and speculation can commence!

Oh god there was rumours that Evanescene were to do Download , hopefully they dont don Sonisphere instead (especially headline)

Iron Maiden on now??? Please god no repeat headliners again

Oh god there was rumours that Evanescene were to do Download , hopefully they dont don Sonisphere instead (especially headline)

Iron Maiden on now??? Please god no repeat headliners again
    Wasn't there some contract when Sonisphere first started between Metallica, Maiden and the festival that one of those bands would headline the festival for its first few years? (Ie one year Metallica, the next Maiden etc)

Wasn't there some contract when Sonisphere first started between Metallica, Maiden and the festival that one of those bands would headline the festival for its first few years? (Ie one year Metallica, the next Maiden etc)

Yea i know both bands have something to do with the festival , but i thought i read somewhere that the 3 headliners (would'nt have had headlined Sonisphere before)

Blink just finished off the hour

So I have no idea who will headline, only things I can say is:

Blink will be in UK at the time on their own tour which still is not fully sold out so I cant see it being them.
    Faith No More could be a sub-headliner at most, just they dont seem to be headlining material to me.
    A7X finishing up Nightmare album cycle in April/May and taking time off after . . .

• Advertisement

Fozzy tweeted
    The wait is over! HUGE Fozzy announcement this Wednesday!!! Stay tuned...!

Advertisement