Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Studio 2010 Dreamspark, Error when installing?

Options
  • 20-09-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

I keep geting the Setup Failed error when trying to install Visual Studio 2010 pro which i downloaded form Dreamspark.
    It dl'ed as a .iso, so 1st i mounted it virtually, no success.
    Then i extracted the files from within the .iso, manually ran the setup file, same error.
    Btw, i running Windows 7 virtually within Mac OSx.
    I tried installing it on my home machine before on Windows 7, still didnt work. Il take a screenshot tomorrow of the error to show, but does anyone have a solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Sounds like it's corrupt maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

mcw92 wrote: »
    1st i mounted it virtually, no success
    Define "no success". Did you get an error message?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

mcw92 wrote: »
    I keep geting the Setup Failed error when trying to install Visual Studio 2010 pro which i downloaded form Dreamspark.
    It dl'ed as a .iso, so 1st i mounted it virtually, no success.
    Then i extracted the files from within the .iso, manually ran the setup file, same error.
    Btw, i running Windows 7 virtually within Mac OSx.
    I tried installing it on my home machine before on Windows 7, still didnt work. Il take a screenshot tomorrow of the error to show, but does anyone have a solution?

The error message would be a help....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭mcw92

Just an update on this :
    I've attached a screenshot of the error screen.
    Also, I'm installing it on a Virtual Windows 7, could that be why?

57eca.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Did you click on "View Error Log"?

Can you post that?

• Advertisement

Did you click on "View Error Log"?

Can you post that?

Attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

It's saying that F# couldn't be installed. The only meaningful error message is regarding disk space. You mention using a VM to install the software, how much space is free?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You can do a custom/advanced install and de-select components that you're not going to use to save space. Things like F#, C++ and SQl Server Express are good candidates if you're not planning on using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

looks alike a corrupt installer If you have another machine you could try the installer on it to see if thats the issue. Otherwise you may have to download it again. Oh one thing on the extract that you did - have a quick check and make sure the files extracted are full names not "name~1.exe" etc

As regards the disk space check that you at least have a 3gb (just a guess but the more the merrier) free where you are installing to and also that the system disk has plenty of space

If space is an issue cut out some oth the components you won't be useing (you can allway install again later if you ned them) :) Best of luck

Ok update on this.
    I created a new Virual Machine with Loads of HD Space, Tried installing, SAme Error Again.
    Tried Running 3 Ways, Mouted ISO, .exe from folder, and DVD.
    SAme Error all the time.
    I installed a XP Virtual Machine and Installed it on that, it worked.
    So ive given up the the 7 Virtual Machine and moved to XP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Actually counds like it might be a UAC problem. Did you try disabling UAC or running it as administrator?

Advertisement