Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UV tattoos

Options
  • 21-09-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

hey I want to get a super nerdy uv tattoo but does anyone have them, i am guessing that they have to be quite basic? am i right?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

They can be as complicated as you like but if they will involve other inks be aware that those inks may block some of the light both from reaching the ink and the light that the ink in turn generates, as such making the glow under UV dimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TurningLights

...a full back tattoo with some lines coming across my waist and stomach but I really like the look f UV tats too. I haven't seen a large UV yet...

[IMG][/img]fb2886a442b94de9f6d3_5.jpg fb2886a442b94de9f6d3_16.jpg

like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

cool thanks,

i want a nerdy "dark mark" (yes from harry potter) in UV so it only glows under uv light... i think it'd be hilarious... now off to london to find an artist

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

more or less every tattoo shop i've seen, even ones that have UV ink, will do everything they can to turn you off the idea due to the posssible long term effects of UV inks.
    there is just not enough info on it yet.

normal inks can be shady (excuse the pun) enough as it is without ink that glows under uv light.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Alan b. wrote: »
    normal inks can be shady (excuse the pun) enough as it is...

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I asked around a few tattoo places about uv ink last year and they were not that enthusiastic about the stuff. I think it's just that it hasn't been tried and tested for very long. I got the impression it was gimmicky.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Alan b. wrote: »
    more or less every tattoo shop i've seen, even ones that have UV ink, will do everything they can to turn you off the idea due to the posssible long term effects of UV inks.
    there is just not enough info on it yet.

normal inks can be shady (excuse the pun) enough as it is without ink that glows under uv light.

Most of the UV stuff around nowadays is quite safe.It doesnt "glow" in the dark.It just reacts to UV light.Its like a cotton white t-shirt.Thats not harmful yet it "glows" in the dark (well under UV)

None of the inks nowadays contain phosphorus or any other harmful chemicals as they did in the past.Peeps used to take those day glo markers and make ink out of them.Now that was dodgy as fook as they contain phosphorus etc thats carcinogenic.
    I personally have tried some and it is harder to work with than normal ink as you need uv constantly on while using it--quite hard on the eyes tbh and I think that puts artists off using it especially for larger pieces.

It also heals almost invisible which kinda takes away the point of a tattoo now doesnt it??

Its a fad to be honest and I personally think its either finished or almost finished.

Advertisement