Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil HD remakes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice comparison vid. Looks like a port of the GC version, so I was wrong there. It's still not a fair comparison since he is recording the GC version in AV composite when it should be recorded in component or RGB to give the best picture without the colours looking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nix wrote: »
    I love how nobody is arguing my points, quietly agreeing or just cant be arsed ?

Jumping down shadowhearts throat enough for a simple misinterpretation of when he played the game, he was talking about the hooded chanters i predict which were redic! Give it a rest!

And chainsaw guy was about the only challenging thing in the game that i can recall and thats only cause they put you in a small pit with him, kinda reminded me of being stuck in the room with the clawed blind guy from code veronica who charged ya based on sound movements.. nothing new there, and he was very stopable, never chopped my head off in story mode, he did to my friend though who then handed the controls to me :P

He may have been hard, if i didnt have a crap load of shotgun shells i picked up off the hordes of aggro Spaniards prior :rolleyes:

Thx m8.

I am not even arsed to answer there anymore. As it feels like explaining ff7 hardcore fanboy, that it's a good game, but it was not perfect.

I said it before in this thread: it's not an RE game. Call it: resident banana arcade. Change Leon name in to Noel etc. You would get totally new IP.

Even if it was a good game, it was not RE game.

Problem is some posters having trouble to understand my point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As it feels like explaining ff7 hardcore fanboy, that it's a good game, but it was not perfect.

And Resi 1-3 are perfect? I think the gameplay mechanics in Resi 4 are far, far better and smoother than the ones in the dated earlier games. Sure, there's not as many 'jumpy' scares (not exactly the most inspired way to inspire horror in an audience anyway), and I'll fully admit Capcom settled on a different sort of atmosphere to the cramped corridors of one (even if plenty of levels in RE4 heavily and affectionately homage the earlier style - most notably the 'secret lab' excursion). I'm not belittling the successes of the early games - who didn't jump at the zombie dog through the window? - you just seem to be viewing them through rose tinted glasses and ignoring the dodgy puzzles, combat and movement mechanics.

No, we're not. We're just strongly disagreeing with your points. There's a difference. No need to condescend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The universe of resident evil is so banana's and absurd they could have introduced aliens and I wouldn't have blinked an eyelid. As for the gameplay change, the old resi games are definitely very different from Resi 4 but that old play style at the time was getting stale and the series would have died if capcom didn't change things up. The old games definitely have a different style but if Resi 4 was like the old games I don't think the series would still be around today due to poor reviews and sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I am not even arsed to answer there anymore. As it feels like explaining ff7 hardcore fanboy, that it's a good game, but it was not perfect.

I said it before in this thread: it's not an RE game. Call it: resident banana arcade. Change Leon name in to Noel etc. You would get totally new IP.

Even if it was a good game, it was not RE game.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    You don't even hand forward an arguement, just your own opinion and brand it as truth - I don't see how it's not a Resident Evil game just because the 'virus' and it's 'victims' are now a completely different concept (with same results and more control).

Honestly, put some meat on your debate and maybe people will understand you. As it stands, all I'm reading is "I think RE4 isn't RE and it's crap and it's about magic so w/e"

ShadowHearth I don't agree with you however I could kind of see where you were coming from and regarding what RopeDrink said above, I put forward a better argument for you (see post 47) then you yourself have. People won't underatsnd your point unless you make it.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As for the gameplay change, the old resi games are definitely very different from Resi 4 but that old play style at the time was getting stale and the series would have died if capcom didn't change things up. The old games definitely have a different style but if Resi 4 was like the old games I don't think the series would still be around today due to poor reviews and sales.
    I also said all of this in post 47, did you all have me on your ignore list?
    (insert whatever light-hearted emoticon is necessary to show that this is in jest and I'm not actually angry... ;) that'll do)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

As previous posters have mentioned, Capcom knew the RE formula was going stale and tried to freshen things up from RE3 onwards (hence making a direct comparison of 2 and 4 is unfair).
    • Code Veronica added the dodge maneuvre to help liven up turgid combat as well as introducing 3D backgrounds.
    • Zero (an underrated game imo) removed the antiqauted items / chest mechanic and tried to innovate with some co-op mechanics.
    • The Outbreaks tried to go for more practical puzzles and obviously had the online features.
    These games didnt exactly set the world on fire either critically or financially thus proving to Capcom that minor tweaks weren't going to cut it. The more radical approach to change taken by them with 4 was probably entirely necessary if the series was to continue.

Sure its pandering to the desires of the greater demographic and yes us diehard fans would've kept buying the same trek through different parts of Raccoon city until even we got fed up of the place, but ultimately RE4 was a neccessity and fortunately it turned out to be an excellent game in it's own right (regardless of what series it belongs to)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm the only one jumping on him

Rediculous? Yes because hooded zealots being infected with a parasite is clearly balls to the wall compared to, say, a zombie virus mutating plants into giant shambling bloodthirsty killers :confused:

There were others jumping on him for the magic biz, and yes redic, not with the plausability of both stories, but the jump from science/zombies to worshipping/bugs for no reason at all.

They pretty much ditched the ongoing story from resi 0, 1, 2, 3 and CV and just dissolved all of that and made another BS story up with the same characters. There was no gratifying closure on the continuing story through those games, like they weren't arsed to think of a fitting end to it or werent arsed paying the same writers to provide a continuation/end so decided to rip off another horror story instead.

And Johnny were not arguing the game mechanics, just the story/style of game. We welcome the other changes, the perspective from leon, the new aiming system, monsters surrounding buildings and smashing through windows, finding ammo, basically realistic survival in those instances, NOT dishing out round houses, jumping out of windows like its supa easy, LOOTING bullets/grenade rounds from poor townsfolk in rags, im just going from memory here, im sure id find many other flaws in the game..

They could have introduced new puzzles with the new way of aiming and kept true to how the game played prior and they could have kept true to the survival horror aspect of the game, instead of going for balls to the wall action.

And they could have atleast wrapped up the previous ongoing resi story instead of going "many years had passed and umbrella dissolved and were gonna change the whole story and have Leon go from rookie cop to bodyguarding for the presidents daughter" in the space of five fookin years, and that job just so happens to be involved with another different virus/parasite outbreak???...:rolleyes:

Supa lame if ya ask me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

The thing I liked about RE4 was the over-the-shoulder view of running around and shooting zombies/ infected. Controlling Leon felt like controlling a powerhouse as it was usually pretty easy to line up multiple headshots on a group of enemies as they sprinted toward you and then slowed down to a casual stroll as they got closer.

However there were then sections of tension like (spoiler tags for that 1 guy who hasn't played it yet :) )
    being chased through the village by a chainsaw wielding freak with a bag on his head, being under siege in a house by torching wielding maniacs, getting locked in rooms with those wolverine-claw giants, fighting groups of cult members in a medieval castle
    and a lot more. Enemies were thrown at players a lot more in this then in any previous Resident Evil game and Leon was equipped to deal with them in a fun-to-play manner.

What previous Resident Evil games had that was absent from RE4 was fear for the character you controlled. In the first game Jill/ Chris were all alone in a spooky mansion. Ammo was scarce and enemies were a lot more lethal. You had a gun, then a shotgun but you never knew when your ammo would run out and if, in the next room, was a stash of bullets, or a room of zombies. Jill and Chris were a lot more vulnerable and players felt it.

As I mentioned above, RE4 Leon was a powerhouse and after 6ish games of taking it slow, the higher level of action was welcome.

The fear for oneself was taken out of RE4 and replaced by new, more action based gameplay. As I said before, a natural progression for what otherwise may have been an unpopular more-of-the-same kind of game that would not be getting a re-released for the millionth time this week.

I think this is essentially what ShadowHearth wanted to say but it came out "Wut, n0 z0mb13z?" ;)

Damn it! Now I wanna play through Res E 4 again! :D

penev10 wrote: »
    As previous posters have mentioned, Capcom knew the RE formula was going stale and tried to freshen things up from RE3 onwards (hence making a direct comparison of 2 and 4 is unfair).
    • Code Veronica added the dodge maneuvre to help liven up turgid combat as well as introducing 3D backgrounds.
    • Zero (an underrated game imo) removed the antiqauted items / chest mechanic and tried to innovate with some co-op mechanics.
    • The Outbreaks tried to go for more practical puzzles and obviously had the online features.
    These games didnt exactly set the world on fire either critically or financially thus proving to Capcom that minor tweaks weren't going to cut it. The more radical approach to change taken by them with 4 was probably entirely necessary if the series was to continue.

Sure its pandering to the desires of the greater demographic and yes us diehard fans would've kept buying the same trek through different parts of Raccoon city until even we got fed up of the place, but ultimately RE4 was a neccessity and fortunately it turned out to be an excellent game in it's own right (regardless of what series it belongs to)

Well TBH CV would have done alot better if they released it across all platforms, they released it on the Dreamcast of all consoles and on PS2 a few years later. Same with zero, released only on Gamecube, both consoles which didnt do good sales wise for themselves. Notice how they dont do that anymore and release it on all consoles.

Outbreak.. Is that the shooter? with the gun? that was poo.

The on going Zombie story from Resi 1/2/3 veronica and zero got wrapped up in Resi 3 though with
    the nuking of racoon city
    . Similar happened in Veronica. You can't get more final than that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And Johnny were not arguing the game mechanics, just the story/style of game. We welcome the other changes, the perspective from leon, the new aiming system, monsters surrounding buildings and smashing through windows, finding ammo, basically realistic survival in those instances, NOT dishing out round houses, jumping out of windows like its supa easy, LOOTING bullets/grenade rounds from poor townsfolk in rags, im just going from memory here, im sure id find many other flaws in the game..

They could have introduced new puzzles with the new way of aiming and kept true to how the game played prior and they could have kept true to the survival horror aspect of the game, instead of going for balls to the wall action.

Wait, wait, I won't hear a bad word about the jumping out of windows mechanic. Rarely has jumping out of windows felt like such a rewarding decision.

As for the story, I've only played one to completion and bits of pieces of 2 and 3, but it's not like the story is high art by any stretch. Many of the characters and ideas (Umbrella etc...) of the previous games are back in 4: it clearly takes part in the same universe, albeit a different part of it.

I also quietly admire Capcom for disposing of zombies just before every other game decided to add them. Well ahead of the curve in that regard, even if the infected are hardly much of a stretch from zombies.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The on going Zombie story from Resi 1/2/3 veronica and zero got wrapped up in Resi 3 though with
    the nuking of racoon city
    . Similar happened in Veronica. You can't get more final than that.

No,
    there was the whole chasing down of Wesker which lead off from CV and the whole mentioning of Umbrella's main base of operations being set in Europe, CV was Claires continuation and we were lead to believe that Leon would follow chase to the main umbrella branch in Europe.
    Thats when they copped out and gave us Resi 4's supa lame story.

So Leon went from "We must stop umbrella to, hey ill get a job working security for the president instead" :rolleyes:
    Wait, wait, I won't hear a bad word about the jumping out of windows mechanic. Rarely has jumping out of windows felt like such a rewarding decision.

Jumping out of a window into something to break your fall, yeah, jumping out of a window 2 stories up and landing into a roll, will break your neck, i dont care who ya are >=(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Outbreak.. Is that the shooter? with the gun? that was poo.

No you're thinking of Dead Aim.

If you love old-school RE games you really should track them down for PS2. You play different scenarios in Raccoon City during the events of RE2 & 3 using different characters with individual abilities. Very SURVIVAL horror.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_Outbreak

Jumping out of a window into something to break your fall, yeah, jumping out of a window 2 stories up and landing into a roll, will break your neck, i dont care who ya are >=(

I think you're ignoring the key point here.

And that's that jumping out of a window and rolling your way to safety is ****ing awesome. Reality be damned.

I regularly jump of high rise buildings into bales of hay.

As for the Outbreak games, I've only played the first game but for the love of god stay the hell away from the first game if not the second one. It's horrendous unless you have a fetish for 40 second load times everytime you open a door.

I think you're ignoring the key point here.

And that's that jumping out of a window and rolling your way to safety is ****ing awesome. Reality be damned.

Your ignoring my whole point on the matter, jumping out of windows may look cool, doesnt mean it should be added to the game.. heck why not give him a jetback with twin mounted gatlin guns so he can wizz around blowing the crap out of everything? That would be supa cool, no ? :rolleyes:

As long as a feature is fun and not jarring in the universe then I'm all for it. Jumping out of windows and surviving is hardly the craziest thing to happen in the Resi universe.

Your ignoring my whole point on the matter, jumping out of windows may look cool, doesnt mean it should be added to the game.. heck why not give him a jetback with twin mounted gatlin guns so he can wizz around blowing the crap out of everything? That would be supa cool, no ? :rolleyes:

You're held up in a house filled with angry, murderous and infected Spanish villagers with pitchforks and a near invincible chap with a chainsaw. You're out of bullets.

I'm pretty sure you'd consider jumping out a window, considering your concept of reality has well and truly been rejected some time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I do kind of agree that jumping out of tall buildings is kind of a cheap way of escaping zombies. Makes it too easy tbh

I'm honestly perplexed that anyone would be so bothered by such a well integrated gameplay feature.

You're surrounded in a room. The only escape route is a window. Is that really such a cheap mechanic :confused:

How that would stand out as unrealistic in a series full of zombies, mutants, giant bosses, secret underground labs, using 'herbs' as healing supplies, briefcases as inventories, guys with entire stores underneath their jackets, golden eggs and all manner of other absurdities is beyond me...

• Advertisement

I'm honestly perplexed that anyone would be so bothered by such a well integrated gameplay feature.

You're surrounded in a room. The only escape route is a window. Is that really such a cheap mechanic :confused:
    It's not a question of realism at all. My favourite bit of RE4 is the first 'area' where the entire village is up in your s*** because you're constantly under threat. But it quickly diminishes all tension when you can easily escape out of a boarded up house under siege by flipping out the window. It should just be a little more difficult than that. Or perhaps recklessly jumping out of the top floor could incur some damage.

It's a minor thing but I do think the game would be better that way.

So we can have 7/8 foot tall monstrosities, lickers, walking killer plants etc but insectoids is out of the question? First one I ever saw was in RE1 funnily enough for all it's 'plausability' over RE4... And the worshipping thing? Las Plagas practically left all victims with all human motor functions & memory, hell you can see them conversing with eachother on multiple occasions they were still just a husk / host for the parasite inside... So yeah, I don't see any big deal of a whole castle full of Saddler worshipping Zealots 'worshipping' or chanting away - Infact it enforced the mindlessness of them even more rather than took away anything.

Sure they talk, use weapons, work in packs, eat, piss, shit but at the end of the day they're barely any better than zombies which was the whole point of why Wesker et al wanted the sample - It was pretty much the Virus from RE1/2/3 plus the ability to control. And yeah, swap bugs for mutants and you've got, what? Resident Evil / Biohazard!

Trust me, even I with all my arguements would have preferred classic zombies over Ganados or for the story to have remained in Raccoon City much like the older games but as people have said, it'd all get very stale for anyone other than the absolute die hard fanatic. Kinda gutted the RE1 Remake wasn't available for PC without emulation :confused:

I even made my own mod to mank/bloody up the Ganados and remove all their speech to make it more zombie like - Other people made mods to remove all weapons from Ganados entirely - If you can bypass or suspend memory of cutscenes, you've pretty much got zombies in the RE4 engine but thats just PC exclusive features that don't really add much weight to it all, as great as it is.

Anyhow, have some Madonna & RE4.

Jesus m8, your ability for ignorance and missunderstanding is just fascinating.

I don't know how much easyer I need to explain:

Starwars - fiction

Lord of the rings - fiction

Starwars has a ground to stand as it something that really might happen if events X and Y will play out.

Lord of the rings can newer happen as it's it magic, faith, cultism, fairytales.

Nix understand what I am trying to say, a good few lads here understand what I am trying to say, but it's really unbelievable how you deny it.

Alot of fans love RE for survival and mechanics of managing your supplies. Re4 scraped all that and introduced arcade style liniar levels, grannies randomly droping ammo for machine guns, gold?!

Nix explained it all very good. My English is not great, so I can't explain everything perfectly.

If you like re4, then good luck to you m8. Enjoy it. For people like me ( not many as I can see) it was the death of horror survival game. Add death of silent hill and we have feck all horror survival games left over. Dead space 1 was great, but I already read, that they are aiming at re5 style for dead space 3...

OK, come on. Star Wars has psychic knights with laser swords. That shizz can't be explained with anything other than 'magic'.

Or midichlorians, rather.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    OK, come on. Star Wars has psychic knights with laser swords. That shizz can't be explained with anything other than 'magic'.

Or midichlorians, rather.

Oh god, i will just stop here. I cant properly explain that. I am just tired people take it to litterly and jumping on my throat. Just read what nix says. He explains it better, but even then it's a battle with windmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

Anyone know what CV is looking like? Can't wait to play it, never did before.

EDIT: Just seen it's not released yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

After reading this thread I'm going to have to play RE4 again later. Feck yiz!

A wizard did it.

[/thread]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

After reading this thread I'm going to have to play RE4 again later. Feck yiz!

Somewhere in the world, Capcom employees/ Directors are high fiving each other:)

I seem to remember Claire or Steve jumping out of a window two storeys in the air and taking a monster out matrix style in code veronica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

penev10 wrote: »
    Code Veronica added the dodge maneuvre to help liven up turgid combat

Dodging was introduced in RE3, but was absence from CV. This seemed like a massive step backwards, but it was because the two games were in development at the same time.

CV was originally going to be RE3, with RE3 being a side-story, but Sony kicked up a fuss that they wanted all of the numbered RE titles, so Capcom did a switcharoo.

Advertisement