Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil HD remakes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

You're held up in a house filled with angry, murderous and infected Spanish villagers with pitchforks and a near invincible chap with a chainsaw. You're out of bullets.

I'm pretty sure you'd consider jumping out a window, considering your concept of reality has well and truly been rejected some time ago.

If memory serves, the first time i jumped through the window into a summersault roll was near the start, and there was nothing chasing me at all, so yeah, i call BS, if it was a once off thing and last resort, then yeah, forgivable, be able to do it at will is silly. And im just using the window scene as an example, there are many other stupid sequences. Do i really need to go through the game and make a list for you?

Also, do it in real life, you will break your neck, throwing something to break the window and then jump down to your feet is plausible, he sumersaults the mutha ****a's with ease...

Again Johnny, its one of many things that pissed me off, add them all up and you got yourself a different game with the same name, dont even get me started on the mercenary who could travel faster than you and sell a ****ing arsenal out of his jacket... :rolleyes:

I USED THE WINDOW AS A FOOKING EXAMPLE!!!!!!! YOU HAVE LISTED OTHER BS I ALSO HATED!!

Just look at it, nothing chasing him and look at the fall he does without hurting himself at all, stupid stuff really..

EDIT: Just realised HE DOES A ****ING DOUBLE SUMMERSAULT!! the what should be zombies in front of him should have held up a piece of paper with a 10 on it not an axe, LOL

Yes Zombies and parasite controlled people do not exist, i know this, im arguing about the story of RESIDENT EVIL.. And the fact they ditched the ongoing story, 4+ games of zombies, the walking dead, to give us a gun totting rip off version of the tommy knockers/dagon..

And Shadow is making alot of sense people, your just not getting it, its like the fishsticks joke all over, just get it man !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yeah res 3(my least fav of the classics) did feel like a DLC or an add on for Res 2, part of what made the old resident Evil games scarry was it was easy to die due to bad controls, turning around slowly on the spot and camera switches, same deal with Silent hill. Res 4 controls were much more natural and worked out well, only issue I had with it was like others, the story and removal of zombies, I love when games make references to older games, thats why I liked Soul reaver, Code veronica and silent hill 3 so much. I think I got more from those games than newcomers would. Resident Evil did evolve but the is no reason not to have Parasites and Zombies in the same game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I seem to remember Claire or Steve jumping out of a window two storeys in the air and taking a monster out matrix style in code veronica.

Think i recall the CUT scene you're referring too, if memory served, he ****ed himself up badly doing it ;) He was packin twin uzies if im not mistaken, again, a cu scene and a one off, jumping out high windows became so frequent in resi4 it was as normal as walking through doors..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Here we go, 18 seconds in:

Yeah res 3(my least fav of the classics) did feel like a DLC or an add on for Res 2

Funnily enough it was meant to be an add on disc for Resi 2.

Landing on his feet into a roll, i could do that, and not that high up either, and it was a cut scene, not in game play :)

Leon does a summersault out the window and lands into a roll, thats landing on his back/neck, and he could do it on alot of windows..

Again, this window thing is not my main gripe, just something i pointed out that you guys decided to go manic over above all of the other points i made..

• Advertisement

Apologies, most of my "just get it bit" wasnt aimed at you, i edited the **** out of my post and got some paragraphs crossed. I was basically saying Shadows trying to say the same thing I'm saying with regards to the jump from zombies to the parasites. I'll edit again, derp, sry was in town for a few Guinness when i got back and wrote that ;D

Agreed, i just wanted more closure on the Resident evil story that was running up until that point, it just seemed like such a cop out story wise. I wanted to see some Umbrella big wigs catch a virus so i could blow the crap out of them, then they could have dissolved umbrella based on that and then done the parasite angle :)

As lets face it, they nuked racoon city to cover up their tracks, what was the point of doing that and then dissolving the company anyway?? :( Something to ponder.

Anyway your right, threads been derailed enough..

Booo down with Resi 4 and re-releases!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Boo indeed. I downloaded a texture and lighting pack for Resi 4 on the PC, and a button replacement mod since I'm using a 360 controller and it already looks a lot better than the stupid re-release. And there's so much more I can do with it aside from just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Boo indeed. I downloaded a texture and lighting pack for Resi 4 on the PC, and a button replacement mod since I'm using a 360 controller and it already looks a lot better than the stupid re-release. And there's so much more I can do with it aside from just that.
    Any chance of a screenshot for comparison purposes?

penev10 wrote: »
    Any chance of a screenshot for comparison purposes?

Here's a few:

Screen 1
    Screen 2
    Screen 3

Game won't run on 1920 x 1080 though, highest resolution I could get was in that screenshot. I'm sure I could get it higher if I tinkered with the game's files in its directory though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Biggest flaw with the PC version is that it uses video clips for the cutscenes rather than the in-engine stuff from the Gamecube :confused:

Biggest flaw with the PC version is that it uses video clips for the cutscenes rather than the in-engine stuff from the Gamecube :confused:

Yeah, and the video clips are horribly done too. Look like they're straight out of the PS2 version.

Also got the game up to 1920 x 1080. Use fullscreen to take a look at this new screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I played Code Veronica on PS2 years ago but never bothered playing it right the way through as, at the time, I was bored with same old same old style.

However would it be worth giving it another go? While I think 1600 is still expensive I no longer have an original copy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Have they managed to patch in working mouse support? And i mean proper working mouse support?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played Code Veronica on PS2 years ago but never bothered playing it right the way through as, at the time, I was bored with same old same old style.

However would it be worth giving it another go? While I think 1600 is still expensive I no longer have an original copy.

It's got one of the stronger narratives of the old resi games although it's my least favourite. I'd say it's still worth another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Have both games. Picked up Code Veronica in CEX for a couple of quid and well worth the money as I had forgotten how good the old style of Resi is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I loved Code Veronica X when it came out. Still have the PS2 version lying around here somewhere, might have to crack it out for a bit of nostalgia :D.
    I cant really comment on Resi 4, as CV-X was the last of them that I played apart from a demo of Resi 5 which I didnt find particularly good.

All in all these new HD remakes dont really seem worth it. As has been said before a HD remake of 1-3 would be much better but I cant really see it happening and if it did, Capcom would probably change a few things around, (probably to the detriment of the game)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's got one of the stronger narratives of the old resi games although it's my least favourite. I'd say it's still worth another go.

I concur, with pretty all of the above! I'm not sure why, but it lacked the charm of the first three games. Still a great game though, it's particularly challenging at the start (due to lack of ammo) and there are tough but memorable boss battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Was RE4 15e last night for a time on PSN?

(20e now)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i was going to get it but then i read it wasnt even a hd remake it just had the resolution pumped up to hd proportions :( these games are still fresh in my mind anyway so im not really interested in buying some of them again.

I would jump on re2 tho im not sure if that is on the store havent checked.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Was RE4 15e last night for a time on PSN?

(20e now)

It (and CVX) are a more appropriate price for PS Plus subscribers:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-23-50-percent-off-resi-hd-remakes-on-psn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Mr. K wrote: »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-23-50-percent-off-resi-hd-remakes-on-psn

The fact they're being called remakes bothers me slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr. K wrote: »

Ah yeah I know that but people were saying last night that they went up for 15e rather than the expected 20e.

Can't see that now though. Mistake maybe.

noodler wrote: »
    Ah yeah I know that but people were saying last night that they went up for 15e rather than the expected 20e.

Can't see that now though. Mistake maybe.

I saw that it saw €15 on the main page, but when I clicked in it said €20. Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

After reading all this about Res E 4, I'm feckin' dying for a game of it. M PS2 and all it's games are back in Louth, so I don't have access to it. Then, there it was staring at me from the Xbox dashboard. I thought "socre!"
    ... You can imagine my disappointment when I noticed there was no option to download the demo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Steve Burnside, the twins, the awful voice acting (even for RE, atrocious) and the fact that Claire is easily the most uninteresting character in the entire series ruined CV for me. The worst RE in my opinion.

RE4 was and still is a masterpiece.

RE5 was ruined by the awful AI. Too much action, no zombies be damned. Couldn't give a ****.

RE1/Remake, RE2 and 3 are four of my favourite games of all time.

Steve Burnside, the twins, the awful voice acting (even for RE, atrocious)

I was actually just thinking about this myself earlier. That "guns are better than people" scene was cringe-worthy, to say the least.

I felt CV was one of the best resident evils and a true showcase for the dreamcast, the story was great at the time and felt like a true continuation from part one, old favorite characters coming back. The dreamcast also had the best console version of Res 2 ported straight from the WinCE PC version, much less compression in the digitized backgrounds and the character models where better with fluid 60fps movement, but beware this good version was released by virgin in Pal regions and there is a lazy port done by Capcom themselves which is almost identical to the PS version.

Just mooching through the games marketplace there on Live. Looks like Res E: Code Ronnie is now available too. Also costing a whoppin' 20quid.

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »
    Just mooching through the games marketplace there on Live. Looks like Res E: Code Ronnie is now available too. Also costing a whoppin' 20quid.

I know:mad: Really they should have just packaged them together like they did with Final Fight and magic Sword, 20 quid a pop just doesn't cut it.

Advertisement