Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing from china (small scale at moment) few questions

Options
  • 21-09-2011 7:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hi,

relative newbie to this forum and at moment am trying to diversify in income with little initial outlay, but also to see if I can make something better for myself over the next few years.

At moment I am looking to import 100 units of seasonal item from china item cost is quite low per unit $3.20 US Dollars inclusive of shipping via Fedex to my door. The company I am in talks with have good feedback and have been in operation multiple years.

My current idea for this year is to bring in a small amount to test the market. I want to see if i can move items and at what price and am willing to gamble being stuck with them for the sake of 100 items. The item in question is a Ice Shoe.

If my test purchase works out my plan for next year is to bring in 3000 plus units accross a few different product lines, which will bring things to an entirely new level, and possible problems.

For this initial order being shipped via Fedex I understand that I will have to pay.

1. import duty unsure of rate of item
    2. vat at 21%
    3. Possible fee to fedex administration or whatever they call it.

am i missing anything at the moment, and if i am missing anything plain obvious i would appreciate someone pointing it out.

thanks for your help

neonitrix

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 248 ✭✭I love Joan Burton

neonitrix wrote: »
    Hi,

relative newbie to this forum and at moment am trying to diversify in income with little initial outlay, but also to see if I can make something better for myself over the next few years.

At moment I am looking to import 100 units of seasonal item from china item cost is quite low per unit $3.20 US Dollars inclusive of shipping via Fedex to my door. The company I am in talks with have good feedback and have been in operation multiple years.

My current idea for this year is to bring in a small amount to test the market. I want to see if i can move items and at what price and am willing to gamble being stuck with them for the sake of 100 items. The item in question is a Ice Shoe.

If my test purchase works out my plan for next year is to bring in 3000 plus units accross a few different product lines, which will bring things to an entirely new level, and possible problems.

For this initial order being shipped via Fedex I understand that I will have to pay.

2. vat at 21%

am i missing anything at the moment, and if i am missing anything plain obvious i would appreciate someone pointing it out.

thanks for your help

neonitrix

Your missing everything except that you will ultimately be responsible if you sell a crap/broken product to the public, and difficult to get your dough back from the Chinese, risky risky risk risk

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

the shipping price seems far too low

not when they are shipping from dodge central population: you

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Your missing everything except that you will ultimately be responsible if you sell a crap/broken product to the public, and difficult to get your dough back from the Chinese, risky risky risk risk

If it was an electronics item I just would not be even thinking of importing it from china, but it isnt electronics and I am happy with the quality.

I personally cant see how i am going to sell crap or broken product to the public, I have 2 pairs of the products which were bought last winter from the same manufacturer that we worn each day of the bad weather while walking and both pairs as as good as they were out of the package day 1.

They are of simple design with what seems like little room for failure / fault.

This has all come about because others have seen me walking around on ice and snow while wearing these last winter and have been asking me to organise pairs / mulitple pairs for them.

I have researched the company i am thinking of buying from and hear good feedback.

but am keen on any other input.

tks

neonitrix

If it was an electronics item I just would not be even thinking of importing it from china, but it isnt electronics and I am happy with the quality.

I personally cant see how i am going to sell crap or broken product to the public, I have 2 pairs of the products which were bought last winter from the same manufacturer that we worn each day of the bad weather while walking and both pairs as as good as they were out of the package day 1.

They are of simple design with what seems like little room for failure / fault.

This has all come about because others have seen me walking around on ice and snow while wearing these last winter and have been asking me to organise pairs / mulitple pairs for them.

I have researched the company i am thinking of buying from and hear good feedback.

but am keen on any other input.

tks

neonitrix

2 pair is not indicative of what youd get, them crafty buggers might throw in duds into the mix of your big order knowing you wont check them all

• Advertisement

this is something i am checking into at the moment tbh, when i asked the only answers that i am getting is that product price for 100 units has greater margin to cover postage. They are coming back to me with 100 unit weights and i will enquire with international couriers / dhl / fedex etc about delivery costs involved.

ie: 100 units 3.20 per unit inclusive of postage
    1000-1500 units 1.50-2.00 per unit, havent tied them down to exacts yet.

They are supplying a few uk parties with products I am waiting on a return from one who is bringing in a simular product line and is selling on the ebay market. he is willing to speak with me about his dealings with them.

2 pair is not indicative of what youd get, them crafty buggers might throw in duds into the mix of your big order knowing you wont check them all

I understand that, but cannot see how anything is ever imported from china if its all dodgy.

neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimmyv

I am an "actual" importer from China unlike our doom monger friends on here.....I find the chinese courteous,professional,punctual,competitive among other things crucial to a business relationship.
    e.g from my last shipment of 11,000 electrical products we had 3 failures that were replaced within 1 week at the suppliers expense....WARRANTY!!
    The only mistake you've made is telling everyone what you intend to bring in as your idea can be now copied by other business people - remember in business "stealth in everything" you should discuss such things in private with people close to you with a business background not loudly on Boards.ie IMO.
    Anyway good luck to you and remember every major successful figure was knocked in the beginning - "I do today what others won't so I can achieve tomorrow what others can't"

jimmyv wrote: »
    I am an "actual" importer from China unlike our doom monger friends on here.....I find the chinese courteous,professional,punctual,competitive among other things crucial to a business relationship.
    e.g from my last shipment of 11,000 electrical products we had 3 failures that were replaced within 1 week at the suppliers expense....WARRANTY!!
    The only mistake you've made is telling everyone what you intend to bring in as your idea can be now copied by other business people - remember in business "stealth in everything" you should discuss such things in private with people close to you with a business background not loudly on Boards.ie IMO.
    Anyway good luck to you and remember every major successful figure was knocked in the beginning - "I do today what others won't so I can achieve tomorrow what others can't"

Il have two fleshlights please how much i like very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I think this market has already been taking care of tbh Every man and his dog is selling them at the moment.

I can buy these from €5.20 from a import company in Dublin (Ozark Global), and that's them making a very good margin I'd imagine, so considering what your paying for them I don't think your price is that good at all.

In my opinion you need to be making upwards of AT LEAST 60% margin on this stuff to make it worthwhile with the risk involved etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hi,

2. vat at 21%

thanks for your help

neonitrix

Hello Neonitrix,

I probably would need a little bit more info in order to do the customs classification. If the items you are looking at are (primarily) made from rubber, then the rate of import duty would be 2.5%. Feel free to post again or PM me.

For samples it is oke to leave the arrangements with your supplier. It appears the costs are economical if they can land them at your door for Us$ 3.20 per pair. The duty will be calculated over the Cost Insurance Freight (CIF) price. VAT will be levied over the foregoing plus duty.

Your probably would have to pay FEDEX an administration fee of around € 10 / € 15.

For larger quantities I would strongly recommend that you get an FOB price from your supplier and NOT to leave the (Ocean) shipping arrangements with your supplier. If you search the term "China Import Service Fee" you will see a number of threads where people have been very badly caught out. The chinese shipper will always get a very low rate for his shipments. But the difference - with penal interest and high local handling costs - will be recovered from you before you can take release of the goods. I know that larger orders will be some time off, but be ware. Check shipping costs from this side with Irish based forwarders.

Let me know if there is anything I can assist you with.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Hi Neonitrix,

The main problem I see for you is where are you going to sell this product. Id imagine ebay will be stuffed full of these things if we get another bad winter.

I wouldnt pay too much heed to the doom mongers. At worst you get a batch of duds but your spending very little money and its a learning experience. Once you start importing its very hard to turn back:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

The price seems very steep for this item. I can buy them cheaper from one of my importers than you are by going direct...a lot cheaper!

Your paying a price that a retail store would intend on paying for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

Was surprised, but I saw them for sale in Dunnes Stores today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 La Flama Blanca

The item in question is a Ice Shoe.

I'd buy 6 pairs right now if you had them.

Advertisement