Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new road junctions on bellevue road

Options
  • 21-09-2011 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I have observed the construction of new road junctions on bellvue road for the past 6 weeks and am appalled at the length of time that this work is taking. Are they new crossings necessary? 2 have been completed in 5 weeks and now the council are moving to continue with further crossings. Looks like they could be there till Christmas. This road is over 30 years old and the crossings have been satisfactory for all of that time. In times of austerity and shortage of funds I am astonished that WCC has found funds to undertake this unnecessary work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

IMO, the crossings here were not fine. Footpath edges were frayed and broken with large chunks of concrete/slabs sticking up from the path, very easy to trip around there. Granted it does seem to be taking a while, but I welcome it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Well it makes things a lot easier for people with disabilities crossing those junctions. Is there tactile paving there now? I can't recall. There wasn't beforehand anyway. Thinking about it now I gather there is going to be a new path going in up at Church road where they're also doing work and it will give a consistent path from there down the town.

I'm curious about how long this has been in the pipeline though, for all that work they're doing on church road when the harbour isn't finished it might be a bit mad if there's going to be trucks going up and down there again to undo whatever they're doing.

Maybe it could have been put on the long finger while they sorted more pressing issues or maybe I'm not seeing some bigger picture. Anyway I think where the stop line is at the junction coming out of Heathervue is way off and doesn't give enough visibility given the speeds some people travel at on Bellevue road.

I also think there has to be a better roadwork traffic management system for up at the junction of Bellevue and Church Road.

But what I can do eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

vinpaul wrote: »
    I have observed the construction of new road junctions on bellvue road for the past 6 weeks and am appalled at the length of time that this work is taking. Are they new crossings necessary? 2 have been completed in 5 weeks and now the council are moving to continue with further crossings. Looks like they could be there till Christmas. This road is over 30 years old and the crossings have been satisfactory for all of that time. In times of austerity and shortage of funds I am astonished that WCC has found funds to undertake this unnecessary work.

Council funds are allocated at the beginning of the fiscal year and if not used by the end of the year they will receive less in the following year, hence all the works going on from now till December.

The work done on the Kilcoole road above Charlesland is superb with a clean wall and a fantastic view out to the sea, plus people are employed, all good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There is (or probably was at this stage) tactile paving at the Doctor's surgery at Heathervue. Can't say it was in great condition. Pavings elsewhere are shocking. I hope they do repair the paths between junctions and not just look to be doing something.

With regards the lenght of time - it's the county council conumdrum, twice the amount of staff for double the time! What's the bet it doesn't even adhere to the Site Development Guidelines for road junction design issued by the DOE. :rolleyes:

It'd be nice to see more litter bins - pity the council couldn't do any work, like erect a waste collection unit (a bin), on the Charlesland SAR.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement