Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build Blog - http://bauneyselfbuild2011.blogspot.com/

Options
  • 21-09-2011 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if i'm allowed or if this is the right location for this post but anyways.

I've started a self build in rural Mayo and i'm going to post to it as regularly as possible. My house is a story and a half, 300 sq meter. This excludes a 70 sq meter garage with front and back garden. I intend to put in underfloor heating upstairs and downstairs and to use a geothermal heating systems.

I will describe what and how i am building the house and will post photos along the way.

Please feel free to ask me questions along the way if you want.

Here is the link to my blog

http://bauneyselfbuild2011.blogspot.com/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

On your blog would you mind giving an introduction:
    • to the plans,
    • reasons for certain style,
    • orientation,
    • kwh/m2/ per/year, ie what your BER and PHPP calc's are telling you
    • who is helping you,
    • are you retaining there services through the build,
    • how much you expect to spend and how much you think you will save by going the self-build route, + why not keep an account of your actual time spent on the build so you can compare with having some else do it at the end
    • what energy consumption you expect,
    • what heating systems you propose,
    • how 'green' you intend to be,
    • what is your own background ie how much of a learning curve this will be
    • what building structure you decided on and why,
    • how far from amenities you are.. how mnay miles from your current employment will you be etc.
    you know like a introduction....
    too many of these blogs are frankly (with all due respect to the blogers) rarely give enough detail to help anybody else make the important decisions like should i go self-build/ is it worth it etc.. and the only way to that is to give as much detail as possible as honestly as possible with as many figures/data as possible.

intro, middle/problems, conclusion. otherwise you'll forget the s**te stuff by the time you get to the end...

best of luck with your build, and i look forward to seeing the blog progress:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

We'll keep an eye on you so!!:D where in Mayo are you? in case I am passing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

Near Partry in the south of the county.

Advertisement