Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Dealers: Free health check, yeah right!

• 21-09-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭

So the lovely Skoda main dealers have been losing so much sleep in over the possible poor health of a lot of Skoda cars out there they are offering free health checks!

Call me cynical lads but ffs do they think we're thick! Any idiot who goes into a main dealer with a relatively old car for a "Free Health Check" deserves to have their money taken from them.

Free health check but you need work done on this, that and the other...revenue generating via scare mongering.

Isn't the NCT a f**king health check that we're already forced to pay for? :mad:

In a separate area, Dentists are offering free mouth cancer scans...right, no mouth cancer but you need three fillings and a root canal...few grand please!

</cynical rant>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

ya of course they are trying to get work out of it. it would be stupid to think they are not. but i dont see how you have to get the work done there.. surly there is no part of the offer stating if they find something wrong you have to leave it with them to get fixed?

so (for example) i go in with my 10 year old fabia, they tell me x,y and z needs to be replaced. i say thats grand thanks ill get back to you, get into my car and drive out.. the check up was free and i didnt give them any money. so why do i deserve to have my money taken???

there are people, and we see it regulary here in 'i got ripped off' threads who will take them at their word (sure they are a main dealer after) get the work done there instead of pricing around in a few places. you cant blame skoda for that, as the old saying goes, if you see a donkey, get up and ride it!!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Or you could use it to diagnose possible problems, purchase your parts separately, and get a independent to install them. It is free after all, and I assume you don't have to proceed with any work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

So the lovely Skoda main dealers have been losing so much sleep in over the possible poor health of a lot of Skoda cars out there they are offering free health checks!

Call me cynical lads but ffs do they think we're thick! Any idiot who goes into a main dealer with a relatively old car for a "Free Health Check" deserves to have their money taken from them.

Free health check but you need work done on this, that and the other...revenue generating via scare mongering.

Isn't the NCT a f**king health check that we're already forced to pay for? :mad:

In a separate area, Dentists are offering free mouth cancer scans...right, no mouth cancer but you need three fillings and a root canal...few grand please!

</cynical rant>

Yes, they are putting a gun to your head and emptying your wallet:rolleyes:

You really are compaining about nothing here tbh.

It's free, it may highlight a problem you don't know about but there isn't anybody forcing you to pay dealer prices to rectify them. And as an aside, the Skoda dealer I use are cheaper than my local indie for a service;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ah jaysus lads, will ye loosen up FFS!
    I know they are not forcing money out of us, I'm just having a good old fashioned rant!

EPM which Skoda do you use? The two nearest me are very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

MarkR wrote: »
    Or you could use it to diagnose possible problems, purchase your parts separately, and get a independent to install them. It is free after all, and I assume you don't have to proceed with any work.
    A lot of these offers have small print I would doubt that they would check your car without getting any money off you. Its to draw in customers and I would guarantee you if you take up their offer they will get money off you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Of course its for revenue generation..... thats what businesses do!

I don't think they are being cynical in the offering, lots of businesses do it.
    "free consultation" is a common means of getting ones foot in the door (so to speak)

A lot of these offers have small print I would doubt that they would check your car without getting any money off you. Its to draw in customers and I would guarantee you if you take up their offer they will get money off you.
    if they get 10 people in im sure 1 will leave the car in for work. its nothing new. offers like it have been around for years.

</cynical rant>

In fairness if it catches one case of cancer early than it's worthwhile, you can always tell the dentist you don't want the fillings or the root canal done at the moment :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness if it catches one case of cancer early than it's worthwhile, you can always tell the dentist you don't want the fillings or the root canal done at the moment :)

true, pity they never did it during the boom times, think of the cancers they would have caught then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If your only checking your car every 2 years (or 1 for cars older than 10) then you mostly likley do need someone else to check you car for you.

• Advertisement

If your only checking your car every 2 years (or 1 for cars older than 10) then you mostly likley do need someone else to check you car for you.

it's a general comment in a general rant. Personally I do the basics myself and have an indie check her out at regular intervals for other things.

it's a general comment in a general rant. Personally I do the basics myself and have an indie check her out at regular intervals for other things.

Does the indy charge? If it's a Skoda your Skoda dealer are offering free health checks, might be worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

It sounds very fancy but its simply an electronic version of a normal vehicle inspection that would be carried out by any decent garage when a car is in for a service or whatever. And is exactly the same as any garage that offers a free 5 point check/nct check or whatever.

Instead of noting the condition of your tyres/brakes/bulbs etc etc on a piece of paper you enter them in a PDA which you can give the customer a print out of the items noted rather then a hand written check sheet.

A major Dublin based independent service chain use the exact same system as do many dealers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Same one as I use :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AdvPit is advertising "Free Winter Check" which means "oh you need new tyres etc" but tbh, it's a free check and you're under no obligation to buy so why not?
    They might catch something you've missed and you can then sort it there/somewhere else/yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lots of talk

Lads, they have passed the simple test in my eyes. The mother went to the dealer in ballybrittas this morning, health check done ''took 30 mins''!. Full report and quote for work needed given no money changed hands.

The car needed a CV boot good got a good price so she is going in on Friday for it. Does exactly what it says on the tin

Tarrants in Banteer. Full service, ALL filters (some on request) and I also got brake fluid changed, lights aligned and still had change from €230 with a nice detailed invoice and a big wet Skoda stamp in the service book. Tried a local Indy who quoted €200 just for the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

EPM wrote: »
    Tarrants in Banteer. Full service, ALL filters (some on request) and I also got brake fluid changed, lights aligned and still had change from €230 with a nice detailed invoice and a big wet Skoda stamp in the service book. Tried a local Indy who quoted €200 just for the service.

For a laugh, you should try and throw your Octy in to another Skoda dealer for the free health check :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

and a big wet Skoda stamp in the service book.
    :D

R.O.R wrote: »
    For a laugh, you should try and throw your Octy in to another Skoda dealer for the free health check :pac:

Booked in with Pilsen for tomorrow;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

There is no doubt, some dealers do try to take you for a ride with these health inspection things though.

A new Audi dealer in South Dublin rang my father up for a recall which turned out not to be one at all in the end. They just wanted to take the car in and tell him what was wrong with it in the hope that they would be able to take him to the cleaners. I think the quote they gave him was something ridiculous like two grand to fix all the things they found which were supposedly wrong. They also broke the glovebox in the process (although he has pushed them to replace it and it is booked in to have it done at their expense).

The car was only serviced in May and has done probably less than 2k since, but they even said it needed an oil change would you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

The clue is in the name - FREE - Health check... As other posters said there is nothing that a dealer should be doing anyway when they service your car to give you a full report on any other items that need attention or may need attention in the future.

Its all about upselling but sure isn't that what every good business should be doing to stay operating. You get the health check and decide if you want to go ahead with any work that may need to be done or at least you are informed as to what items need attention.

why

why would you change the brake fluid?

because its a servicable item. recomended to be changed every 4 years in my car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It absorbs moisture over time, reducing its efficiency and leading to corrosion in the braking system.

Anan1 wrote: »
    It absorbs moisture over time, reducing its efficiency and leading to corrosion in the braking system.
    But it is a sealed system. I have had many cars and never changed the brake fluid in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

But it is a sealed system. I have had many cars and never changed the brake fluid in them.

The brake fluid heats up during driving. It should be changed every 2 years actually.

That means it doesn't need to be changed so.

Brake fluid becomes less effective over time due to heat and its hydroscopic nature. Its not a completely sealed system either, brqake fluid resevoir caps have tiny hole/valve to release excess pressure if it happens.

If a car is being service properly it should be having the h2o level of the brake fluid checked every service and on some marques(vw for example) there is a section in the service book which has to be completed for the periodic brake fluid changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

I left an '07 primera in to Mooney's two weeks ago for a health check (One of the citydeal things for 29 quid)

The car was going for an NCT and has a noise that i can't figure out from the left side.

(Hear the sound from this link - http://www.inoc.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=65303&posted=1#post65303)

This was what attracted me as i had only just bought the car and it was due a service.

So this is the list of what was supposedly included.

Top up of engine oil (1 litre of oil included)
    > Top up of brake fluid (left in at or near the minimum level and not topped up)
    > Top up of power steering fluid
    > Top up screen wash (left in at or near the minimum level and not topped up)
    > Comprehensive tyre checks
    > Tyre rotatations
    > Wheel balancing (Steering wheel still vibrates at 100 kmh so doubt that was done)
    > Check lights (headlights, sidelights, indicators, brake lights, registration plate, fog lights)
    > Check battery
    > Headlight alignment
    > Check all wipers for worn rubber and proper screen cleaning capability
    > Detailed brake examination (Fluid was left in at or near the minimum level and not topped up)
    > Full exhaust check

So when i got it back i was told it needs a service (€209)
    Plus wipers all round (€49)
    Investigate the noise(€90 per hour)

I had a spot of internal rust appearing under the rear passenger seat which they looked at under warranty. (they say they cleaned it down and schulz'd the area))

So i asked was the noise investigation not part of the service and was told no.

After that performance i won't be returning to them. I would have expected something like a noise investigation to have been included in a service

• Advertisement

I would have expected something like a noise investigation to have been included in a service

It would depend on how much investigation is required.

If the noise was coming from inside the gear box or timing chain housing for example, they aren't going to start stripping down things to find the problem as part of a normal service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

It would depend on how much investigation is required.

If the noise was coming from inside the gear box or timing chain housing for example, they aren't going to start stripping down things to find the problem as part of a normal service.

Thanks Nissan Doc,

But I would have expected them to look over the suspension/wheel bearings/CV Joints etc (All the external stuff) and then say it needs further investigation and would cost extra if nothing was found.

Primera's P12's have been around since '02 so i would have a realistic expection that there would be a good chance of this being a problem that has happened on previous cars and they would be somewhat familiar with it.

Seen as the car had not been with them previously (nor had I but two years ago my wife bought an '05 Honda Jazz from them) as the car came from a louth previous owner i thought they might have been somewhat eager to grab the service work, and take a physical look as part of a service and then ask for permission to investigate further at an additional charge if it was needed.

As it's not stopping the car from running safely at the moment i'm not going to spend 90 quid an hour on top of a service.

I know your well respected over on the INOC, but so far I'm not happy with this Main Dealers work.

(http://www.inoc.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=3636)

Thanks Nissan Doc,

But I would have expected them to look over the suspension/wheel bearings/CV Joints etc (All the external stuff) and then say it needs further investigation and would cost extra if nothing was found.

Primera's P12's have been around since '02 so i would have a realistic expection that there would be a good chance of this being a problem that has happened on previous cars and they would be somewhat familiar with it.

Seen as the car had not been with them previously (nor had I but two years ago my wife bought an '05 Honda Jazz from them) as the car came from a louth previous owner i thought they might have been somewhat eager to grab the service work, and take a physical look as part of a service and then ask for permission to investigate further at an additional charge if it was needed.

As it's not stopping the car from running safely at the moment i'm not going to spend 90 quid an hour on top of a service.

I know your well respected over on the INOC, but so far I'm not happy with this Main Dealers work.

(http://www.inoc.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=3636)

When I read your post I missed the indication that it was a suspension noise as opposed to something more in depth.
    Anything that would cause a knocking noise in the suspension should be something that would be checked for in a normal service I agree. I'd love to see their justification for spending an hour or more trying to find a worn suspension part.

There are some suspension parts which have to be checked with the weight on the wheels(4 post lift) and some which can be checked with the wheels hanging(2 post) so this is where things can be missed if not getting checked thoroughly.

On an aside about these vouchers/offers etc. I think the biggest problem for garages offering these (speaking from direct experience) is that in the vast majority of cases, as is even evident by some responses in threads like this, people buy their cheap voucher or whatever and come into the garage assuming that you are going to screw them in order to make the vouchers worth while. Its the sad case that when cars on a voucher come into my garage I am almost hoping that I won't find much wrong, because if you find loads of faults, you are actually much mess likely to get the work as 80% of the time the customer says thanks and leaves thinking they were right and then go and tell all their friends about the 'catch' of getting the cheap/free check or service or whatever so you can't win:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Agree 100%.

I find its the same when you get a new customer in with approx 60k on the car. The last thing I want to be doing is turning around and handing them a list (which in most cars, around 60k is when tyres, brakes etc may start to go).

On these free checks aswel, its not just the upsell their after. If you can get customers in the door, who are not regulars, you get a larger customer database, with potential further down the line for further contact. Its just standard buisness!

Advertisement