Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast free Brown Bread

Options
  • 21-09-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a nice recipe for Yeast free brown bread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

This is my mothers recipe for brown bread and I think it's fantastic :)
    Brown Bread

1lb brown flour
    1/2lb white flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp bread soda
    Handful of porridge oats or crushed bran flakes
    Handful of mixed seeds
    2 oz butter
    1 tblsp. sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 pt. buttermilk
    2 tblsps. treacle (warmed)

Heat oven to 200C and oil two loaf tins (2lb size). Sift the flours into bowl with baking powder and bread soda. Rub in butter and stir in seeds, porridge oats and sugar. Whisk eggs and add buttermilk. Add to dry mixture to a wet consistency. Lastly add the warmed treacle and divide between the two tins.

Bake for ten mins then turn down the oven to 180C for a further 35 mins. Leave to cool and then remove from tin and wrap in a tea towel.

Halve the ingredients to make just one loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have been using this recipe for awhile now and I love it.

1/2 lb wholemeal flour
    2 tbsp porridge oats
    2 tbsp bran
    2 tbsp wheatgerm
    4 tbsp mixed seeds plus extra for top
    1 dessert spoon brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
    1 egg
    1/2 tbsp treacle
    1/2 tbsp oil
    375 ml buttermilk

Combine the dry ingredients. Add the egg, oil and treacle. Add half the buttermilk and mix. Add more buttermilk until the mixture is wet but not runny. Put into a loaf tin. Sprinkle seeds on top. Bake at 185C for 45-50 minutes.

Advertisement