Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

http://www.rathdownmotors.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201136204331247

Does this look like a good deal?

Would this car be heavy on petrol?

Probably not hectic, heavy car/small engine combo.

Base spec, so no extras worth talking about. 9995 seems very pricey for that spec/year/engine combo

Also, personal rant, I pass by Rathdown Motors every couple of weeks, why the hell do they have "€xx,xxx New" on all the cars on the lot?? What has that got to do with anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Also, personal rant, I pass by Rathdown Motors every couple of weeks, why the hell do they have "€xx,xxx New" on all the cars on the lot?? What has that got to do with anything

Agreed.

Maybe they like to scare the customers looking at new cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

It clearly shows the saving you are making by buying the car from them... Second hand and however many years after it was actually new...

I shall also take the undercoat sealant and the extended Warranty please sir! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

low power.priced way too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Buy an A4 with any other engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I drove an A4 yesterday with that engine in it and it was perfectly acceptable, you'd wonder have the people in here who say it's a slow and crap every actually drive the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Of the cars in that segment of the market (A4/Merc Cxxx/BMW 3xx), you will find that the vast majority of Audis are diesel, I wouldn't touch a petrol A4 because you will find it very hard to sell and the 1.6 would be impossible to offload. If you really like Audi you should go for a 1.8 or 2.0.

Look up any Audi dealer website and check their list of used A4s, you will be hard pressed to find a petrol model. If you want a midrange petrol saloon, buy a C180, you should get a good deal these days on an 06 because it's the older model.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/C-Class/180-K-Ma/201130203552424/advert?channel=CARS

coylemj wrote: »
    Of the cars in that segment of the market (A4/Merc Cxxx/BMW 3xx), you will find that the vast majority of Audis are diesel, I wouldn't touch a petrol A4 because you will find it very hard to sell and the 1.6 would be impossible to offload. If you really like Audi you should go for a 1.8 or 2.0.

Look up any Audi dealer website and check their list of used A4s, you will be hard pressed to find a petrol model. If you want a midrange petrol saloon, buy a C180, you should get a good deal these days on an 06 because it's the older model.

No, that's bad advice. We (The Irish) base our used car, and new, purchases on engine size. A 1.6 A4 will sell ten times quicker than a 2.0 petrol one.

Also, of A4's, simply on carzone, 20% of them are petrol. There's a market for petrol cars, I don't know why everyone suddenly thinks that diesel is the be all and end all, when in reality, it's not.

Also, of A4's, simply on carzone, 20% of them are petrol. There's a market for petrol cars, I don't know why everyone suddenly thinks that diesel is the be all and end all, when in reality, it's not.

That's a ratio of 4:1 in favour of diesel in the case of the Audi A4. In the case of the C180 and BMW 3-series there are more petrols than diesel.

Q.E.D.

In my mind selling a petrol Audi A4 would be like trying to sell a manual E200.

• Advertisement

That's a ratio of 4:1 in favour of diesel in the case of the Audi A4. In the case of the C180 and BMW 3-series there are more petrols than diesel.

Q.E.D.

In my mind selling a petrol Audi A4 would be like trying to sell a manual E200.

Yes, manual E200's sell to.

The reason why there's so many more petrol Mercs about in 06 years is because there was a huge cost difference to buy them new, and most people who bought C180 bought bog spec ones just to get the badge. It's only since 08 and the tax/vrt changes that people started to buy the diesels! Same with the 3 series, and even at that most of the diesel 3 series and C-class would be English imports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Crap spec and crap engine, go for the 1.9TDI or the 2.0TDI or if you want petrol get a 1.8T, I've driven the 1.6 and it just feels cheap. So not a hope in hell would I pay €10k for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Diesels are nice new but as they get to that 3+ year old it is time to look at petrol. Any older diesel are smelly noisy and have lots of potential problems. You would have to be doing big miles to justify one. That 1.6 petrol engine should be reliable and easy to maintain and refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bringbackbt

Whatever you do, make sure its not an 05/06 2.0 TDI. The BLB engines from 05/06 are a load of ****e as a design flaw in the oil pump balancer shaft causes massive problems.

Trust me i've been bitten along with a fair few others. Try the google and see what you get.

The reason why there's so many more petrol Mercs about in 06 years is because there was a huge cost difference to buy them new, and most people who bought C180 bought bog spec ones just to get the badge. It's only since 08 and the tax/vrt changes that people started to buy the diesels! Same with the 3 series, and even at that most of the diesel 3 series and C-class would be English imports.

Sorry, don't agree. The point you're making about the effect of the VRT changes in 2008 is certainly true for cars like the BMW 520 where the diesels suddenly dropped in price and now outsell the petrol models but there has always been more diesel than petrol A4s.

Taking 2006 which was two years before the VRT changes and which is the year of the car the OP is looking at, on carzone.ie the stats are as follows...

A4 Diesels represent 76% of the total 2006 cars on sale
    BMW 3-series diesel is 35%
    C-class diesels are 11%

I don't understand the point you're making about people buying bog-standard spec. on the C180, the A4 the OP is looking at is also bog-standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I drove an A4 yesterday with that engine in it and it was perfectly acceptable, you'd wonder have the people in here who say it's a slow and crap every actually drive the car?

I have driven a few 1.6 Audi's in years gone by, and they are cr@p. The 2.0i is much better than I expected, but the 1.8T is the Petrol to go for (without going in to stupid tax territory)

Strangely, I thought the 1.6 Petrol Mondeo that I picked up from someone before Christmas was fairly decent. I've driven a few recently too (over fairly short distance though) and they are no-where near as bad as most people think. Most of the recent ones have been knocking on the door of 200,000km too.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭eggerb

Drove both the 1.6 and the 1.8T when I was in the market for one. There was a noticeable difference in performance. Second hand, you probably won't find much of a price difference. Motor tax difference is €137 p.a. I'd wait for a 1.8T or look into the diesels.

Sorry, don't agree. The point you're making about the effect of the VRT changes in 2008 is certainly true for cars like the BMW 520 where the diesels suddenly dropped in price and now outsell the petrol models but there has always been more diesel than petrol A4s.

Taking 2006 which was two years before the VRT changes and which is the year of the car the OP is looking at, on carzone.ie the stats are as follows...

A4 Diesels represent 76% of the total 2006 cars on sale
    BMW 3-series diesel is 35%
    C-class diesels are 11%

I don't understand the point you're making about people buying bog-standard spec. on the C180, the A4 the OP is looking at is also bog-standard.

I didn't say the VRT effected the A4's but it most certainly effected the Mercedes and Bmw.

@ROR I have one here, drives perfect, nothing wrong with it at all. Considering the Tdi is only 1.4 seconds faster to 60, if one wasn't doing big mileage I can't see why you'd pick one over the diesel.

(Also, I must point out I'm not arguing the fact that it's way overpriced)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It will probably go for ever, and if it breaks could be fixed with a hammer, but get more than 2 people in it, and you really have to wring it's neck to get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

1.6 A4's are utter ****. There is absolutely nothing that can be said in their defense. The people who bought them new were misguided.

• Advertisement

We Ive driven them and it is acceptable if you feel the 1.6 petrol in the mk 1 avensis is also acceptable. Its certainly not an engine anyone should be considering buying in an A4. The 1.9tdi & the 1.8T are stunning by comparison. The 1.6 is completely dead and fuel comsumption is not great given that it has to be abused to get anywhere.

mickdw wrote: »
    We Ive driven them and it is acceptable if you feel the 1.6 petrol in the mk 1 avensis is also acceptable. Its certainly not an engine anyone should be considering buying in an A4. The 1.9tdi & the 1.8T are stunning by comparison. The 1.6 is completely dead and fuel comsumption is not great given that it has to be abused to get anywhere.

Can't agree with that fuel consumption being ****e agreement, everyone says that about every car with a 1.6. My father had a 1.6 Passat for 4 years, it was a lovely car to drive and in no way was it horrible on fuel. The 1.8T (which my mother currently has in a TT she struggles to get 30mpg out of it, averages around 26mpg around town, that's real world figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Can't agree with that fuel consumption being ****e agreement, everyone says that about every car with a 1.6. My father had a 1.6 Passat for 4 years, it was a lovely car to drive and in no way was it horrible on fuel. The 1.8T (which my mother currently has in a TT she struggles to get 30mpg out of it, averages around 26mpg around town, that's real world figures.

But the TT has it mapped probably with a larger turbo and freer exhaust system outputting 180 or 225bhp. The A4 version is only 150. Also the quattro system in the TT cant help consumption figurers as well as other silly things like Audi putting no off switch on the mirror heating, with them on all the time!

I know what I get too. I had a TT. Wouldnt do 30 mpg. I got about 35 mpg out of the 1.6 A4 over the few days I had it. Considering 180 bhp versus 100bhp approx, thats crap mpg for the 1.6

lomb wrote: »
    But the TT has it mapped probably with a larger turbo and freer exhaust system outputting 180 or 225bhp. The A4 version is only 150. Also the quattro system in the TT cant help consumption figurers as well as other silly things like Audi putting no off switch on the mirror heating, with them on all the time!

Still, I have a 150 Golf gti last year and it was no better on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

Dave147 wrote: »
    Crap spec and crap engine, go for the 1.9TDI or the 2.0TDI or if you want petrol get a 1.8T, I've driven the 1.6 and it just feels cheap. So not a hope in hell would I pay €10k for one.

Avoid the 1.9, a dog of an engine. My wife had an '05 SE 1.9 for 3 years. 105bhp and 5 speed= zero refinement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I had that engine in a lighter car and the fuel economy was horrific for the power available. Its a reliable engine though but the gearbox used with it can be troublesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Dutchie wrote: »
    Avoid the 1.9, a dog of an engine. My wife had an '05 SE 1.9 for 3 years. 105bhp and 5 speed= zero refinement.

True but its much more reliable than the 2.0 TDI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I didn't say the VRT effected the A4's but it most certainly effected the Mercedes and Bmw.

@ROR I have one here, drives perfect, nothing wrong with it at all. Considering the Tdi is only 1.4 seconds faster to 60, if one wasn't doing big mileage I can't see why you'd pick one over the diesel.

(Also, I must point out I'm not arguing the fact that it's way overpriced)

Sorry LM but in these cars it's not about 0-60 times. Mid-range torque and pull are far more important a place where the diesel A4 hammers home the 1.6...

I agree it is overpriced for a 5 year old base spec Audi for 10k is a joke..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

wrong reg 'TN'........
    When it comes to premium cars better to have a 'D'reg - plus wrong engine! in this future world of diesels! reckon this particular Audi would be difficult to move on in a few years time...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

V Eight wrote: »
    wrong reg 'TN'........
    When it comes to premium cars better to have a 'D'reg - plus wrong engine! in this future world of diesels! reckon this particular Audi would be difficult to move on in a few years time...........

Total hogwash! On an A4? Maybe on an A8 or R8 or something like that but on an A4 - you are mad my man! :D

wrong reg 'TN'........
    When it comes to premium cars better to have a 'D'reg ..................

A 1.6 A4 is not a premium car.

166man wrote: »
    Sorry LM but in these cars it's not about 0-60 times. Mid-range torque and pull are far more important a place where the diesel A4 hammers home the 1.6...

I agree it is overpriced for a 5 year old base spec Audi for 10k is a joke..

I still find it perfectly acceptable to drive, have you driven one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

wrong reg 'TN'........
    When it comes to premium cars better to have a 'D'reg

This has to be trolling?

I still find it perfectly acceptable to drive, have you driven one?

Thankfully not and I don't ever intend to. My point was that comparing 0-60 times is pointless 90% of the time especially with a petrol and diesel Audi A4..

• Advertisement

Thankfully not and I don't ever intend to. My point was that comparing 0-60 times is pointless 90% of the time especially with a petrol and diesel Audi A4..

I've driven both, I'd be perfectly happy with either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

VolvoMan wrote: »
    wrong reg 'TN'........
    When it comes to premium cars better to have a 'D'reg

This has to be trolling?

I wouldn't be caught dead without a Dublin or maybe Wicklow reg in the city but that's just me!
    As for the car if youre not in need of any great power the 1.6 is a bit slow and I don't think 30odd mpg is 'crap'. The 1.6 doesn't really go wrong Sister had it in her A3 (non fsi 3dr) for 7years now and all it's needed was oil changes and a timing belt.
    But 10k for that car is too much - no extras and a terrible colour.

I've driven both, I'd be perfectly happy with either.

Of course each to their own! Maybe it is acceptable enough but 10k for one is mad though for what it is..:)

heate wrote: »
    I wouldn't be caught dead without a Dublin or maybe Wicklow reg in the city but that's just me!............

I had a WH reg car when I was a rep, covered Munster so was grand, had to cover a few sites in Dublin when a colleague was out sick. Some pure skanger wannabe hardman Dub spa in a Micra shouts out the window at me move you f***ing muck savage, I was in a lane where you could go straight ahead or left, green arrow for left was on but a red for straight ahead.

Lots of the Dublin folk don't like the muck savages I reckon.

Of course each to their own! Maybe it is acceptable enough but 10k for one is mad though for what it is..:)

As I said before, I wasn't debating the price :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

I wouldn't be caught dead without a Dublin or maybe Wicklow reg in the city but that's just me!.

Which City ?
    Cork, Limerick, Galway, Belfast, Derry etc. ?

3/4 of Irish people don't live in Dublin.

In areas outside Dublin, D reg can sometimes signify an auction bought / ex hire car / finance repo, so its no great shakes either to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Monty. wrote: »
    I wouldn't be caught dead without a Dublin or maybe Wicklow reg in the city but that's just me!.

Which City ?
    Cork, Limerick, Galway, Belfast, Derry etc. ?

3/4 of Irish people don't live in Dublin.

In areas outside Dublin, D reg can sometimes signify an auction bought / ex hire car / finance repo, so its no great shakes either to be honest.

Obviously Dublin and not Belfast - I'm aware 3/4 Irish people don't live in Dublin - although I think something like 2.25m live in Leinster itself.
    I was just pointing out that having a non Dublin reg in Dublin an attract unwanted attention - from exactly the people you don't want paying any attention to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Have to agree with Limerick Man.
    Have a Passat with the same engine (1.6 petrol) and find it more than adequate.
    Petrol consumption is not that great and I get the same mpg as Mazda 1.8 petrol.
    But as someone said it here if there is more than 3 people in the car, it will struggle a bit to accelerate quick enough (on motorway).
    But otherwise I find it more than adequate.

P.S. I found that engine to be quite rev happy and that it likes to be revved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lets not start this reg thing again. Buy the car not the reg plate. Just because a car was registered in a certain county doesn't mean it spent anytime there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

point is, the car is for sale in Dublin, so - say to dealer 'nice Audi but not comfortable with the country reg!' I reckon this statement could lead to a discount - Likewise if you are in TN buying a D reg the same tactic would work - that's just the way things are!!!

VolvoMan wrote: »
    This has to be trolling?

I have to agree. I would be very choosy on my regs. Preferably D only for neutrality. Annd Im not from D

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lets not start this reg thing again. Buy the car not the reg plate. Just because a car was registered in a certain county doesn't mean it spent anytime there.

Unfortunately in this country if you buy one you buy the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I went from a 120bhp 1.6 to a 200bhp 2.0L. To be completely honest once the novelty wears off it's not much of a big deal. True there's a great buzz from flooring it in 2nd or 3rd and being pressed into the seat bit regular day to day driving and flying to 60 isn't your think the 1.6 Audi wouldn't be a disaster at all. Maybe overtaking with people in the car would be a bit of an issue but it will still go forward if you drop a gear or two...

It would appear all these other posters think otherwise...

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=51522

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have driven one too and I found it grand. You see according to this forum unless your car has a power to weight ratio of a supercharged Lotus elise its dangerously slow. You are practially a rolling hazard on a motorway.

I think it's more from the fact that people judge from what they've read rather than what they've actually driven.

Just mentioned it to my cousin, he had one back in 00, a 1.6, put up 75,000 miles on it in 1.5 years and said it was perfectly acceptable, and wasn't bad on juice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement