Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocks of wood?

Options
  • 21-09-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm a history teacher and I want to teach the kids about tree ring dating using actual tree rings. Only prob is, i'm new to dublin and haven't a clue where i'd get a decent piece of wood. I'm also not too keen on breaking into the local park tonight with an ax! Any ideas? Perhaps a carpenter's workshop or something. I don't have my own transport so would have to be reasonably central. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I spotted some pieces of wood from a felled tree in Kennilworth Square (D6) the other day but didn't get a close look to see if it's possible to pick it up and walk away with it.
    I'd just contact the park ranger in the Phoenix Park and ask him if he's have a suitable piece of wood for what you want!
    http://www.phoenixpark.ie/visitorinformation/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Sundew wrote: »
    I spotted some pieces of wood from a felled tree in Kennilworth Square (D6) the other day but didn't get a close look to see if it's possible to pick it up and walk away with it.
    I'd just contact the park ranger in the Phoenix Park and ask him if he's have a suitable piece of wood for what you want!
    http://www.phoenixpark.ie/visitorinformation/

That's a great idea sundew. I wonder if he gets many calls from randomers looking for blocks of wood?! Thanks

Einhard wrote: »
    That's a great idea sundew. I wonder if he gets many calls from randomers looking for blocks of wood?! Thanks

Probably not but it might add some colour to his day ;)

To be honest I regularly walk around the phoenix park and have seen lots of branches/cuttings etc so might be worth driving up in the car, parking up and heading out for a walk.

Just got three off the forestry dept in UCD. Nice and thin too, so won't have to lug half a forest into school tomorrow!

That's great that UCD sorted you out.
    Best of luck with the ring counting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Einhard wrote: »
    Just got three off the forestry dept in UCD. Nice and thin too, so won't have to lug half a forest into school tomorrow!

The world is indeed a small place. That was me who gave them to you. I hope they come in handy.

Yi Harr wrote: »
    The world is indeed a small place. That was me who gave them to you. I hope they come in handy.

Damn, my top secret boards identity has been rumbled!! You'll have to swear to keep my true identity to yourself. :D

Thanks a million for helping me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

I wasn't sure whether or not to post for fear of ruining mine but don't worry what happens in the forestry department stays in the forestry department.

If you want any more info or if I can be of any more assistance let me know.

Advertisement