Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else just gone back to work?

Options
  • 21-09-2011 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Just started a new job this week. Had lost my previous job when I was 4 months pregnant last May and only had few temp contracts after until I had my daughter, looked after her for the past 11 months and kept looking for work, waiting for the right thing to come along.
    Last week found out I was pregnant again :)! And got a part-time job, 4 days/week.

Completely confused in my own sentiments!!! Delighted to get work, get out of the house and have some conversations with other adults, but I missed my darling so much and I've only done one day.

Consolation; I know it is temporary, as in a few months time I will be off again to look after the 2 babas, and I tell myself I must enjoy it because after no2, we won't be able to afford me going to work so I must try and enjoy it for now

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am back since Monday:(
    It was so hard going back after my 1st but her creche was a 2 minute walk from work. This time the girls are at home and I miss them.
    I like the bit or peace and quite and being able to go out for lunch and not have them hanging out of me but it is way easier to be at home with them.
    Congrats, it must be so much easier going back pregnant cause at least you know it is not forever.
    I came back on a 3 day week last time and kept it this time so at least tomorrow I will be home with my beautiful girls again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thinnyminnie

Im back full time 7 weeks now and I hate being back. Cant get used to it at all. BTW.....where did you find a 4 day week job advertised?? Im looking and looking but just cant find anything like it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

*Mod Note*

Abbreviations such as DD etc are not permitted on this forum. Please take the time to read the charter to familiarize yourself with the guidelines. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

hi, im due back to work monday week and im sick at the thoughts of it. my son is 8 and half months old an ive been off work for about ten months now... i no he will be in the best of care with the child minder but i soooo dont want to go back to work, not cos im lazy or anything but i feel i am going to miss him so so much....hope it wont be as bad as i m expecting it to be:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It won't I promise :) Its tough at the start and the tiredness is unbelievable but it gets easier by degrees until it seems like you've been juggling both forever. That's what it feels like for me and I'm only back 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 bubski

Im back almost 2 months now and I was orginally dreading it, but its been fine
    In fact im enjoying it!! Plus my job is pretty basic anyway

It will be fine - i think the worst thing is people constantly telling you how hard its going to be leaving baby....like you dont know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I've just started a course after being out of work 2 years. I had part time christmas job last year but only in evening, missing Elisha like crazy but she's loving creche and spent two weeks settling in. Her speech has come on so much since she started she is 18 months so it is a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I went back in April, I lasted about 3 weeks before I asked to go part-time. I really didnt realise how much I would miss her.

Some shifts I wouldnt see her for 3 days as she slept from 8 to 9am.

Now I work mostly 2-10 etc, much better.

Just listening to Tom Dunne talking about this at the moment really makes you think how hard it is.

I have to say when a pregnant girl in work asked me how bad was it coming back, I told her to save up and try stay off work till her baby was 1.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

2nd week back and it is terrible:(
    It is not much easier the 2nd time :(
    Hopefully in a month or 2 it will all seem less awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Sorry to hear that Moonbeam. I'm back 5 weeks now; I still can't believe it. On sunny days like this I really miss maternity leave because we'd spend the day in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I gave up work when I had my daughter as it was no longer an option for me to commute such a distance to work every day combined with the cost of childcare.

I have recently gone back to college to finish my education and have left my 9 month old with a childminder. I was fortunate enough to get a woman I have known all my life and would consider to be like a second mum to me so I trust her absolutely with Ella. I still have my rough days but it is not so hard as I expected. I know how very lucky I am to have her and it has undoubtedly made leaving my little girl a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

First week over now. Its not so bad, the worst was the 3 days in a row, which meant I only saw my little one for about half an hour in morning and half an hour in the evening. But now my days are pretty much spread out so it might be easier again.
    Actually I find that going to work is a welcome break and much less demanding than staying at home so I would not brand any stay at home lazy at all!!! Ideally I would do less than 4 days, but since its only for a few months it will do fine.
    Thinnyminnie, I had to look in a completely different field to get part time work, there is not that many about you are right. So I had to make a decision and look what were the part-time jobs out there and most of them are in shops so thats what I went for.
    Juggling the childminders is the trickiest now, cant use creche because of hours of work, and I have 2 childminders to play around my and my husband's unpredictable schedule. Going not too bad so far!

Advertisement