Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing of rejected forum request threads

Options
  • 21-09-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭

Before I begin, I just want to not that I am not arguing against the decision to reject any forums in particular.

I believe that when new forum requests are rejected, that the thread shouldn't be immediately moved to a location where they can't be posted to by "mere mortals". My main reasoning for that would be so that the people who had originally supported the forum could then use the thread (which they would have likely followed) to perhaps throw up a quick post or two to decide if and where to post their related subject instead, so that in the future the subject activity elsewhere could be used as a stepping stone for a future separate forum request.

I ask this from my experience following the rejections of Japanese Interest/Culture and Bacon. In JI/C part of the decision said that given there were already the Japanese Languages forum and the Japan Region forum, then posting should go there, however no-one has done that since there was no general consensus between the forum supporters that they would take the topic to one of those locations, hence both those forums remain dead.
    A similar subject for the recently rejected Bacon, now I do not know where to go to discuss it with the others - do I have to search in Beer Guts, Food and Drink, or even somewhere more obscure like Nutrition? When the onus is on the user to find out where to go on their own after having their gateway of communication severed, it can be intimidating especially if the forum search doesn't give any useful results.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just check with the mods as you would any other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Leaving the forum request thread open after the decision has been made will only clutter up the Request forum.
    If you feel the need to carry on a thread of conversation then create one in a closely linked forum (Japan Region or BGRH in the cases you cited - as long as it's within the charter). Then PM anybody you feel may have been interested from the Request thread.
    If the topic is of interest then thread will gather momentum.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

there has to be a cut off point at some stage. Its easier to do it straight away and avoid arguments than leave it open for a period of time and have to wade through argumetns against the decision to get to the additional suggestions.

OldGoat's suggestion is a good solution.

As far as clutter, if its left open then a forum suggestion that has been discussed and rejected could end up bumping a new forum suggestion off the front page and cause users not to see it as easily. As a result a possibly good suggestion could fail to get the required support before the deadline is reached.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Your beloved Bacon Forum got rejected. Live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Alright, yea. I know that it is easiest to move them to the archive forum immediately - which essentially closes them - since most people's first instinct will be to "rebel against the cause". Just thought I'd ask :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement