Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameron Crowe is useless - PJ 20 Letdown

• 21-09-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Went to liffey valley last night with some mates to see PJ 20.

Disaster of a film. Brushed over the drummer situation in 1 minute. Timeline was a complete mess. Never got into how the songs came about, studio footage, no interviews with ex members, hardly any interviews with bands at the time chilis, AIC, etc
    Christ I would have made a better film out of youtube clips. And the head on Jeff Ament with his HT hat. He came across as a complete d*ck. He talks of integrity when the truth is he would have sold his soul to make it in Glam Band 'mother love bone'. Chris cornell got as more airtime then some band members.

Cameron (Almost famous puke) Crowe hasn't a notion how to make a film like this. They should have got the guys who did 'Some kind of monster' to make it.

Missed opportunity.

P.S
    Oh andSlane was my first PJ gig and I have traveled abroad to see em to. So don't question me being a fan. Though I know the sheep will be out in force.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Harsh words there. It was about Pearl Jam, not the Seattle scene.

I thought it was a great job for what it was about.

The band came across as being normal guys, who knew they were very lucky to have experienced what they have been through.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

[QUOTE
    Disaster of a film. Brushed over the drummer situation in 1 minute. Timeline was a complete mess. Never got into how the songs came about, studio footage, no interviews with ex members, hardly any interviews with bands at the time chilis, AIC, etc
    QUOTE]

Not trying to be smart but how long did you expect the film to be? What would you have left out to get in the interveiws with ex members, other bands etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

You seem to be in the extreme minority. Any PJ folk I've talked to and pretty much everyone here seem to be of the same mind. It was a great film and done extremely well. But you can't please all of the people all of the time. Then again, I enjoyed Almost Famous too.

Really can't see how Jeff came across as a dick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Irish Man

[QUOTE
    QUOTE]

Not trying to be smart but how long did you expect the film to be? What would you have left out to get in the interveiws with ex members, other bands etc.

I am not going to nit pick 2 hours. If you saw it in liffey valley you could tell everyone felt the same. Why did everyone just trudge out. It does not flow.
    If it is a Pearl jam film and not a seattle scene flick then why talk about Kurt Cobain so much. Slow dance. Was that crowes centre piece. And it is sickening to hear them saying he was their guide. Give me a bucket.
    Where was Dave Abbruzzese. He was integral to there flow in the beginning.
    I really cant get over how bad it was.

NothingMan wrote: »
    You seem to be in the extreme minority. Any PJ folk I've talked to and pretty much everyone here seem to be of the same mind. It was a great film and done extremely well. But you can't please all of the people all of the time. Then again, I enjoyed Almost Famous too.

Really can't see how Jeff came across as a dick though.

He is a hypocrite. They all are. No respect for the past.
    Drummer thing annoyed me. And why does cameron crowe have to get his face into it. Hanging out at Stones house. Eddie getting emotional over Jeff seemed like he acted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Irish Man wrote: »
    He is a hypocrite. They all are. No respect for the past.
    Drummer thing annoyed me. And why does cameron crowe have to get his face into it. Hanging out at Stones house. Eddie getting emotional over Jeff seemed like he acted it.

I was surprised that the drummer scenario was essentially glossed over but the way it was done was funny, if brief. There wasn't always amicable splits with the drummers and maybe they rather say nothing then something not very nice.

I honestly don't see where you get the "no respect for the past" opinion tbh. I was in liffey valley and about 1/4 exited at the credits and the screen was mostly full until the end of the credits.

Look. I love Pearl jam. I met Eddie and Mike in dublin last time they were here. And they were cool. Though Eddie didn't want to have a pic taken ha ha
    But to do a documentary on them of this magnitude and promote it as such, just doesn't live up to what it could have been.

The drummer thing was humurous, but disrespectful. Dave A should have been interviewed. I think a non biased film maker would have done a better job. Christ, there manager helped produce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I know the sheep will be out in force.

"Why are sheep afraid?"

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

"Why are sheep afraid?"

Have you ever met a sheep...scared of everything. Especially stupid replies :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I take your point about the Drummer thing, but who knows maybe they didn't want to be involved in it, there may have been a very good reason why it was done the way it was.........

as for the "If you saw it in liffey valley you could tell everyone felt the same."
    nope - couldn't tell that at all, I left during the credits, I leave during the credits in all films, I will see them again when I get the DVD, why would I stay till the end of the credits, I was knackered and up early this morning so I left - doesn't mean i didn't enjoy it........

with anthing like this you aren't going to please everyone, just never going to happen, too many ways to do it, too many interpretations of things that happened and why, but personally I thought he did a decent job of it, it's certainly a million miles better than Some Kind Of Monster (again in my opinion).....

• Advertisement

NIBBS wrote: »
    I take your point about the Drummer thing, but who knows maybe they didn't want to be involved in it, there may have been a very good reason why it was done the way it was.........

as for the "If you saw it in liffey valley you could tell everyone felt the same."
    nope - couldn't tell that at all, I left during the credits, I leave during the credits in all films, I will see them again when I get the DVD, why would I stay till the end of the credits, I was knackered and up early this morning so I left - doesn't mean i didn't enjoy it........

with anthing like this you aren't going to please everyone, just never going to happen, too many ways to do it, too many interpretations of things that happened and why, but personally I thought he did a decent job of it, it's certainly a million miles better than Some Kind Of Monster (again in my opinion).....

A million times better than some kind of monster?...get a grip. I like Pearl jam more but SKOM is not a fanboy trip.
    PJ 20 is an all out lick arse fest. Crowe wasted an opportunity with all the access he got to make a stellar flick. Its a promo film for blinkered fans. No meat to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Read this thread over the Cameron Crowe insult more than anything to with Pearl Jam, more of a Soundgarden fan myself.

Cameron Crowe would have been very passionate about this project and I would be disappointed to know the mad a bogs dollox of it. I will definately watch it now .

Why would the Chilis have been in it? They werent Grunge.

So can I ask exactly what a sheep is classed as in your post?

Nea wrote: »
    Read this thread over the Cameron Crowe insult more than anything to with Pearl Jam, more of a Soundgarden fan myself.

Cameron Crowe would have been very passionate about this project and I would be disappointed to know the mad a bogs dollox of it. I will definately watch it now .

Why would the Chilis have been in it? They werent Grunge.

So can I ask exactly what a sheep is classed as in your post?

Sorry, but your vocabulary is terrible. I don't know what you are on about. Grunge? What about grunge? Whats does 'he mad a bogs dollox of it'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I apologise profusely for omitting the letter e, it should have said made a bogs dollox.

As profanities as not acceptible on most forms I used spoonerism to make a point
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism.

As far as I remember the term Grunge was the genre title given to mainly Seattle bands of the alternative/rock/metal persuasion in the early 90's, am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

On a side note, whats with your boner for Dave A? If they talk about one drummer they gotta talk about them all and i'm sure they had to keep the running time in check. Dave A was a great drummer but to be honest I'd be more a fan of Krusens work on the 1st album... So simple but so effective.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Lovely Lovely spam.

On a side note, whats with your boner for Dave A? If they talk about one drummer they gotta talk about them all and i'm sure they had to keep the running time in check. Dave A was a great drummer but to be honest I'd be more a fan of Krusens work on the 1st album... So simple but so effective.

Can we not have boners for great drummers? :P
    Be honest...Dave Krusen did a job. Dave A elevated it and his stint with the band produced some of there greatest gigs and albums. Could they not include an interview with him?
    I would much prefer a less biased take on the band then Crowes version. Too sweet for me.
    Though Stone and Mike come out great in it.

Can we not have boners for great drummers? :P
    Be honest...Dave Krusen did a job. Dave A elevated it and his stint with the band produced some of there greatest gigs and albums. Could they not include an interview with him?
    I would much prefer a less biased take on the band then Crowes version. Too sweet for me.
    Though Stone and Mike come out great in it.

Thats the problem though... they'd need to speak to them all in fairness. I wouldn't bee too hard on Croe though. He had 1200 hours of footage to go through and wind it down for a cinematic audience. I'd imagine either the directors cut or future editions will have more in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Please report spam when you come across it. Don't quote spam posts as they just end up having to be tidied in addition to the spam posts getting deleted.

Thanks to those of you who do take the time to report spam. It is much appreciated!

Malice wrote: »
    Please report spam when you come across it. Don't quote spam posts as they just end up having to be tidied in addition to the spam posts getting deleted.

Thanks to those of you who do take the time to report spam. It is much appreciated!

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Have you ever met a sheep...scared of everything. Especially stupid replies :confused:

Er... "Why are sheep afraid?" was a slogan on one of the Vs. tourshirts, hence my putting it in quotation marks.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Baaaah!

Sounds like you wanted it to be Foo Fighters 2 Pearl Jam - Back and Forth.

Malice wrote: »

Will do in future mate.

jenizzle wrote: »
    Baaaah!

Sounds like you wanted it to be Foo Fighters 2 Pearl Jam - Back and Forth.

Never seen it mate. So cant comment.
    But I don't deny i would like it a little more edgy. Behind the music-esque(though I am not mad about Behind the Music)

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Thats the problem though... they'd need to speak to them all in fairness. I wouldn't bee too hard on Croe though. He had 1200 hours of footage to go through and wind it down for a cinematic audience. I'd imagine either the directors cut or future editions will have more in it.

The quadruple dvd box set might be better lol
    If I had 1200 hours of footage I would have made a stellar flick...and I don't make films :D

The quadruple dvd box set might be better lol
    If I had 1200 hours of footage I would have made a stellar flick...and I don't make films :D

To be fair try sitting in a cinema for 1200 hours. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Did anyone else mis-read the title as "Cameron Cain is useless"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I would imagine Academy Award winning film maker and Pearl Jam fan of 20 years Cameron Crowe requested interviews with previous band members.

Boom didn't say much either did he?

It was a great film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I went to see it in Liffey Valley too and as far as I'm concerned I really enjoyed it and have already purchased the DVD :)

SKOM was a documentary filmed in a short period of time. PJ20 is as far as I'm concerned a celebration of PJ's music over 20 years with some talking thrown in.

I LOVED it......it brought me back to some really happy times in school and to when it was all new. Saw PJ in Hyde Park last year and they are still as good as they ever were...which is really fantastic.

The message I got from the film was that seattle was full of people in bands who were all friends and supported eachother...they even say that clearly in the film so to question why Chris Cornell was in it so much says to me that someone missed that message....if kurt was alive or andy wood....they would have been in the movie too.....although PJ may not have existed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Fi H wrote: »
    I went to see it in Liffey Valley too and as far as I'm concerned I really enjoyed it and have already purchased the DVD :)

SKOM was a documentary filmed in a short period of time. PJ20 is as far as I'm concerned a celebration of PJ's music over 20 years with some talking thrown in.

I LOVED it......it brought me back to some really happy times in school and to when it was all new. Saw PJ in Hyde Park last year and they are still as good as they ever were...which is really fantastic.

The message I got from the film was that seattle was full of people in bands who were all friends and supported eachother...they even say that clearly in the film so to question why Chris Cornell was in it so much says to me that someone missed that message....if kurt was alive or andy wood....they would have been in the movie too.....although PJ may not have existed!

I watched it for the first time last night, and the above post sums it up for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

a great movie..... Really enjoyed it.... Dunno what "others" expect though ! :confused:

its shown on bbc3 /4 fairly often !! ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement