Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student visas

Options
  • 21-09-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone has info on student visa's for NSW, I think it's my last option to stay in the country after being messed around by a company with sponsorship.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this visa and what are the cheapest courses to do. And where do I start....

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pros: Can stay on the the country. Look for sponsorship. Progress to residency.
    Cons: Expensive to maintain. Only work 20 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I was wondering if anyone has info on student visa's for NSW, I think it's my last option to stay in the country after being messed around by a company with sponsorship.

I thought experience and a degree or trade was needed to be sponsored?
    what was your basis for trying to get sponsored? why can't you use that skill to seek sponsorship with another company?

what was your basis for trying to get sponsored? why can't you use that skill to seek sponsorship with another company?
    Because seeking sponsorship takes time, and the OP obvious is running out of time if he is refering to his last chance

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Mellor wrote: »
    Because seeking sponsorship takes time, and the OP obvious is running out of time if he is refering to his last chance

Yes I am running out of time, I am an electrician and was going to be sponsored by a company I worked for the last six months. Then all of a sudden they changed there minds.

So I don't have many options or much time left, and I don't want to go home for the winter.

Is it possible to go from a WHV to a holiday visa without leaving the country as i wish to travel around the country before I go home for the Irish summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I dont think so. Otherwise visa runs wouldnt be done. There are various Capoeira (Brazillian martial arts) and Business Cert courses available for around 1300 per quarter (though this doesnt include initial fees like the student visa fees, sometimes mandatory health insurance and "registration fees"- another money bleeder basically- how its costs 300 odd quid to print up an ID and send off some forms I dont know).

If you are on ABN does the 20 hour limit apply? Technically speaking when writing an ABN invoice, even if you have agreed to work for x amount per hour, cant you just put down your work as "daily rate?"

*: The chances of any of this actually being checked are slim to none, its more out of curiousity than anything as to whether ABN makes you a law unto yourself- after all ABN lacks many of the features of regular labour law- minimum wage, breaks, holidays, maximum working week etc etc, its all on the self employed person to give themselves these rights, even though in truth most ABN lads here are employees in all but name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

That's just paying 6000 Grand a year to stay in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Zambia wrote: »
    That's just paying 6000 Grand a year to stay in the country.

Surely it's better than going back home to sit on my arse. I will be working ABN and trying to save as much cash as possible.

Just looking for info on courses and applying etc.

If you are going to spend the cash at the end it would be nice to have a skill that gets you PQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Losing a leg is better than going home. The OP, wisely, sees the student visa as a stop gap to stay here legally while he tries to find an employer to sponsor him. While I dont know about requests for sponsorship visas in terms of them asking how many hours per week you had worked, I do know for a fact that illegal lads who have secured de facto spouse visas whilst illegal have had little to no quereying regarding who they worked for, how many hours, tax/ ABN contributions etc etc regarding the time they were illegally here. One lad I know, whilst running entire sites with loads of lads under him, told them he was living hand to mouth for 4 years mowing lawns for a few dollars per hour and a free lunch via Gumtree ads- immigration believed it. It is pretty bizarre that when applying for a pathway to residency the Aussie government wouldnt demand to know who you worked for and why you havent bothered paying tax but hey, its Australia :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Losing a leg is better than going home. The OP, wisely, sees the student visa as a stop gap to stay here legally while he tries to find an employer to sponsor him. While I dont know about requests for sponsorship visas in terms of them asking how many hours per week you had worked, I do know for a fact that illegal lads who have secured de facto spouse visas whilst illegal have had little to no quereying regarding who they worked for, how many hours, tax/ ABN contributions etc etc regarding the time they were illegally here. One lad I know, whilst running entire sites with loads of lads under him, told them he was living hand to mouth for 4 years mowing lawns for a few dollars per hour and a free lunch via Gumtree ads- immigration believed it. It is pretty bizarre that when applying for a pathway to residency the Aussie government wouldnt demand to know who you worked for and why you havent bothered paying tax but hey, its Australia :pac:

Sounds like a bunch of pub talk to me...

• Advertisement

MOD NOTE

Damo this sort of post is against the charter see below
    charter wrote:
    Threads were people are asking how to fool immigration or if they should lie to the authorites will be locked. Posters who encourage people to do anything dodgy or illegal as a way in to Aus/NZ will be infracted and/or banned.

We are all well aware this stuff goes on. We are also aware it works out for many but the charter is there to respect the countries we are now living in. If you post anymore stuff along the lines of "Sure work/stay illegally it be grand I know lads that have" I will have to ban you for good.

If you are on ABN does the 20 hour limit apply? Technically speaking when writing an ABN invoice, even if you have agreed to work for x amount per hour, cant you just put down your work as "daily rate?"

Of course it still applies. You know this.
    THe law is work a max of 20 hours per week, it doesn't matter how you are paid for this

Advertisement