Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed from Digiweb to Eircom??

• 21-09-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just ordered Eircom broadband. 8mb line, unlimited d/l. Setanta sports.
    Use of wifi hotspots for my smartphone.
    Price is 35/month

I'm with Digiweb atm. 8mb satellite, 30 gb rollin 30 -day limit (gets slower at around 34 gb) I'm hovering around the 32-34gb mark, can't get down. I've heard that some companies charge when you go over, digiweb just drip feed.
    Price is around 45/month

Connection is free.

My question is, is there any hassle switching? With digiweb since 08. And, is this a good deal. I'm in Navan and UPC won't be here until next year.

I have a week to change my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Just remembered that Eircom don't like customers using torrents? Is this true?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well for starters Eircom don't offer unlimited download (no matter what the sales rep may tell you) as all their packages got limits )Fair Usage Policy)...

Secondly keep in mind it is a limited time discount of 6 months (after that it goes full price), the wifi is only for 2011 etc. as per the package you signed up for.

Nody wrote: »
    Well for starters Eircom don't offer unlimited download (no matter what the sales rep may tell you) as all their packages got limits )Fair Usage Policy)...

Secondly keep in mind it is a limited time discount of 6 months (after that it goes full price), the wifi is only for 2011 etc. as per the package you signed up for.

Thanks for the reply.
    Well I wouldn't expect total unlimited, just more than 30gb /month. I read someone mention about 250gb allowance? thats 8 X my current allowance.

Also, I was told that it was 25/ month for the first 6, then 45 for the next 6. works out at 35/ month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Just remembered that Eircom don't like customers using torrents? Is this true?

yes it is 3 strikes and they cut you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

gustafo wrote: »
    yes it is 3 strikes and they cut you off.
    In theory, perhaps this is a possibility. In practice - it's extremely doubtful and you'd have to be either really stupid or totally cursed for it to happen. This forum would be alive with threads about if it were happening regularly and from a cursory glance it appears that it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Also, I was told that it was 25/ month for the first 6, then 45 for the next 6. works out at 35/ month.

I think that price excludes line rental, as I've not seen the NGB advanced being priced that low, ever. Add €25 a month to what you quoted above and it sounds more realistic.

There is no comparison between DSL and Satellite though, it will be a vast improvement.

jor el wrote: »
    I think that price excludes line rental, as I've not seen the NGB advanced being priced that low, ever. Add €25 a month to what you quoted above and it sounds more realistic.

There is no comparison between DSL and Satellite though, it will be a vast improvement.

Well he said my house was one of the chosen 'few' that could avail of this offer. He also said that the line rental was free.

Ordered the broadband/ phone package on Tuesday. Tried to cancel today, (worried about torrents), and they can't cancel it until I receive my account no, which I don't have yet. They are sending it out. Guy on the phone was rather curt.
    So I have to wait until they send me out an account no, to ring them back, to cancel?
    Apparently they activated my phone line yesterday. And if I don't use it, I won't get billed.

Maybe I'm too cynical. But I just don't trust them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement