Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General consensus on RA in upcoming budget

Options
  • 21-09-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Saw other posters talking about rent allowance in another thread and it got me thinking. What is the general consensus on whether or not RA will be cut in December's budget? And if they do cut it, do you think it will be drastic enough to drop the price of rents considerably?

I am seriously hoping for a massive cut in the RA to bring rents to what they should be in the Dublin suburbs. Looking to move next summer so a drop in rents would be a bonus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Monife wrote: »
    And if they do cut it, do you think it will be drastic enough to drop the price of rents considerably?

I am seriously hoping for a massive cut in the RA to bring rents to what they should be in the Dublin suburbs. Looking to move next summer so a drop in rents would be a bonus.

I doubt rents will drop. Tenants will just be expected to pay more themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The landlords dole

I think it'll be cut but not by much.
    Too many landlord and friends of landlords in the Dáil

Couple with 1 child or one-parent with 1 child get up to €930 a month in Dublin

Rates here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html
    That's who working people are competing with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

mikemac wrote: »

I agree.

Rates here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

I almost cry every time I read that webpage.
    I pay my rent and then go and have to pay other peoples too.
    If I had my way they'd scrap RA, and turn ghost apartment blocks in to workhouses and soup kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

The landlords dole

Too many landlord and friends of landlords in the Dáil

Couple with 1 child or one-parent with 1 child get up to €930 a month in Dublin

Rates here

No idea what will happen with this really. At at guess it will be cut a small amount, say 5-10%.

It should really be totally reformed to reflect more detailed location. Big difference between renting in Finglas and renting in Glasnevin in terms of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

You will not qualify for Rent Supplement if you are in full-time employment (30 hours per week or more). (In the case of couples, if one of a couple is in full time employment, both are excluded from claiming Rent Supplement).

This bit REALLY gets my goat! So a childless single person can get over €500 RA but a couple, where one person is in employment, aren't even considered! What happens if the other loses their job and the remaining worker is on minimum wage? And people who's main life objective is to sit on their ar*e and bear 20 children, get everything for nothing.

I agree with you guys on this one though, unfortunately, that rent allowance will be cut slightly, but not enough to benefit anyone.

• Advertisement

Monife wrote: »
    This bit REALLY gets my goat! So a childless single person can get over €500 RA but a couple, where one person is in employment, aren't even considered! What happens if the other loses their job and the remaining worker is on minimum wage? And people who's main life objective is to sit on their ar*e and bear 20 children, get everything for nothing.

Not a fan of cursing but yes, it is fvcking disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Agreed, given that rent is linked to RA and that house prices are still inflated. I think the government are afraid that dropping RA will lead to a drop in rent, which will lead to more landlords becoming insolvent. Which may lead to another drop in house prices as well as increased pressure on the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Zamboni wrote: »
    If I had my way they'd scrap RA, and turn ghost apartment blocks in to workhouses and soup kitchens.

But then where would the poor grow their spuds?

Knasher wrote: »
    Agreed, given that rent is linked to RA and that house prices are still inflated. I think the government are afraid that dropping RA will lead to a drop in rent, which will lead to more landlords becoming insolvent. Which may lead to another drop in house prices as well as increased pressure on the banks.

So lets keep borrowing to prop the whole croc of sh1t up :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That is a real issue though. For those in government, they would know more landlords than tenants and at this stage rent supplement is propping up rents throughout the country. Maybe I'm just cynical.

It has'nt been cut since June 2010, so it's well overdue for a trim. I'm also hoping for a massive cut. Maybe I'll send Joan a reminder email about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

People should email their local representative about this, or email Joan Burton. A vital issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It'll come down and bit but It won't come down much I think. It'd be like punching themselves in the face for politicians. Half the renting population gets support from the government so it'd be a huge dent in support if they cut it too much.

People aren't protesting on the streets all that much so the public seems cozy enough with the current costs in the country.

It's a big voting percentage and nobody is really protesting all that much about it. So with all that in mind, I doubt it'll come down alot.

Advertisement