Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a really hard water area

• 21-09-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey

I live in a hard water area, and as such, after 2 years my shower has co completely crapped out, also my washing machine now takes a walk around the untility room anytime I put on a wash :(

So I figure, I need to start softening my water, before it completely ruins the pipe work or something.

Has anyone added a water softener to their house? Did they use a chemical softener, and hardware softener? Roughly what cost is something like this.

I have no idea about this, so starting to google it, there are really alot of options Im not sure about.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭polc07

Hi Oxygen Temp
    got a Culligan ( brandname ) installed under sink connected to mains about 7 months ago, as had isue with hard water, shower ruined . It cost in total €700 but that also included installing a new shower we had bought ourselves . I'd say about € 620 in total .two bags of salt for €15 in local plumbing shop, last nearly two months .It was a local plumber that installed this for us I know there are companys out there that do it all but they seem to be too expensive . Definately reccomend it, the difference in unbelielable. Hope this helps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

polc07 wrote: »
    Hi Oxygen Temp
    got a Culligan ( brandname ) installed under sink connected to mains about 7 months ago, as had isue with hard water, shower ruined . It cost in total €700 but that also included installing a new shower we had bought ourselves . I'd say about € 620 in total .two bags of salt for €15 in local plumbing shop, last nearly two months .It was a local plumber that installed this for us I know there are companys out there that do it all but they seem to be too expensive . Definately reccomend it, the difference in unbelielable. Hope this helps ?

Thanks polc, is does help. $700, I was afraid it was going to tbe something costy like that (I would probably get my shower replaced as well). :(

Maybe I can claim it back from the water taxes I will apparantly be paying next year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

We had very hard water, ruining the showers, washing machine etc.
    so though friends recommendation we got these in to sort it out. http://www.galwaywater.ie/home
    Its about 8 years ago and we have never had a problem since.
    The water is soft and clean, all you have to do is keep it toped up with salt costing about @8 a bag
    and it uses about 8/10 bags a year but thats it, no other cost at all.
    I think it was about €900 but i could be way off, its a long time ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Phoning around thos now. None of them offer installation payments. Does anyone know of a company that do offer installation payments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

We had a similar system to Polc07 installed in the UK.. Was a fantastic job, and fixed all the issues...

I had previously tried both the magnetic and electical systems on the inlet pipe with no success... both proving to be a complete waste of money..

With the salt based systems you may need to do some plumping work if you have an american type fridge with ice machine.. the addition of salt to the water apparently stops ice being made, so that needs to be connected before the Culligan unit.

We also had the house plumbing acid flushed which did a great job of clearing out the years of limescale that had built up blocking pipes.. It cost us £50 and was money well spent.. Only downside was we did get some immediate leaks which needed to be fixed as the removal of the limescale on joints had left some gaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

If you do get a salty machine, be careful if there is a baby in the house, as you will need to bypass the machine to get water for baby use only, as the 'salted' water cannot be used.

Advertisement