Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple Of Jtag Questions

Options
  • 21-09-2011 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some new fans for my Jtag, i currently have some Talismoon fans in there, but they are very loud (i have them at 80%)

Are there any good fans that are really quiet i could get to replace the ones i have?

Also, i took my dvd drive out of the console to help air circulation etc, but now the power light inside the light halo keeps flickering on and off all the time... is there a way to stop that? it's a little bit annoying. Not as big a deal as the noisy fans though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Sorry for been a bit off topic but I was looking at getting the talismoon fans for my jtag. Do you find they cool the console down any better than the stock fans? The stock fans are ridiculously noisy when turned up to any level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Talismoon fans are a gimmick you'd maybe shave .2 .3 of a degree from overall temperatures, they look pretty but thats about all they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

justryan wrote: »
    Talismoon fans are a gimmick you'd maybe shave .2 .3 of a degree from overall temperatures, they look pretty but thats about all they do.
    Cheers, Ive read as much from other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If you took the DVD drive out did you put a jumper wire on pins 4 and 6 of the DVD Drive power header? When there is no connection between these two pins the console believes the DVD drive is ejecting which results in a nice flashing green power light :)

Why do you have the fans so high? I set my stock JTAG fans to 60% of max, and they're loud enough but definitely bearable. I can always knock them back to stock (around 40%) to reduce the noise if I'm watching a DVD or whatever. The smaller the fan, the faster it must spin to produce airflow. Faster fans = higher noise. So you have three real solutions - reduce fan speed and cope with higher temps; add more (bigger?) fans, reducing the need to have two mini-fans going at crazy RPMs; water cooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

If you took the DVD drive out did you put a jumper wire on pins 4 and 6 of the DVD Drive power header? When there is no connection between these two pins the console believes the DVD drive is ejecting which results in a nice flashing green power light :)

I didn't do that at all! that's my problem there then. What's the best way of doing that? will i have buy something or can a homemade solution be used?
    Why do you have the fans so high? I set my stock JTAG fans to 60% of max, and they're loud enough but definitely bearable. I can always knock them back to stock (around 40%) to reduce the noise if I'm watching a DVD or whatever. The smaller the fan, the faster it must spin to produce airflow. Faster fans = higher noise. So you have three real solutions - reduce fan speed and cope with higher temps; add more (bigger?) fans, reducing the need to have two mini-fans going at crazy RPMs; water cooling.

I have the fans up high cos it's a Xenon and i'm trying to be careful with it. The CPU and GPU temps are at 60c as soon as it's turned on. Although they don't seem to go much higher than that when i'm doing some gaming (i've exited out of games and checked the temp and they've been at 65c ish. The fans aren't too loud at 60 - 65% so maybe i'll try that and see if there's much of a difference... How hot is too hot, while we're on the subject?

Cheers for the answers anyway TV!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I didn't do that at all! that's my problem there then. What's the best way of doing that? will i have buy something or can a homemade solution be used?

I have the fans up high cos it's a Xenon and i'm trying to be careful with it. The CPU and GPU temps are at 60c as soon as it's turned on. Although they don't seem to go much higher than that when i'm doing some gaming (i've exited out of games and checked the temp and they've been at 65c ish. The fans aren't too loud at 60 - 65% so maybe i'll try that and see if there's much of a difference... How hot is too hot, while we're on the subject?

Cheers for the answers anyway TV!

To stop the flickering light you just need solder a wire joining the two points

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

justryan wrote: »
    To stop the flickering light you just need solder a wire joining the two points

^-- This :) You can solder a piece of wire between the two. You can twist some very thin wire around the two pins because they're close together too which is fine for temporary testing but I'd go with a soldered wire to be sure it won't ever move and short something :)

As far as temps go, the lower the better but there's a noise trade off as you're acutely aware of. Around 80C would be my own personal limit on what I'd find acceptable, though I'd start getting curious around 70-75C about why they were so high. 60-65C is fine for a Xenon, sure my Jasper is around 50-55C :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

60-65C is fine for a Xenon, sure my Jasper is around 50-55C :)

Damn you and your better technology....:)

Advertisement