Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm having IVF in India

Options
  • 21-09-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi I'm 51 and I'm having Ivf with donor eggs in India.The clinic is fantastic and the doctors and staff provide caring ,personal treatment. Sadly,I had an ectopic with twins in March,but my partner and I are returning soon because we know they will give us the baby we long for.The clinic's success rates are amazing and are delivering many babies for couples all over the world through surrogacy,so I know they are great at what they do.They have a Facebook page and have interviews with ABC and CNN.IVF is also a lot cheaper than the UK and the packages include everything from drugs to scans and treatment.I have a friend from NZ who had failed IVF attempts in NZ,Spain and got pregnant on her first attempt in India and her twins are now 9months old.Please feel free to ask me any questions,cos I know how hard this journey can be x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Hi,

I have a few questions about your story, and not because I'm TTc myself, but just because I'm interested (I'm a midwife) I hope that's ok?

Are you from India yourself?

Are you using Indian donor eggs?

Does it really work out cheaper when you take into account travelling expenses and accommodation costs?

What will you do if it doesn't work out on the first attempt? Will you consider adoption? Fostering? Surrogacy?

And please don't think I'm being rude or judgemental in asking you this, but is your age not a factor that might make you think twice about IVF? At 51 the odds are stacked against you, and the risks are quite high being pregnant later in life. I found at pregnancy tough going at 26, it really isn't kind on the body! And my god do you need alot of energy to entertan a toddler! Now my 66 year old mother in law is probably fitter and has more energy than me so I'm not saying that just because you're that bit older that you're not able for a child. I suppose I just want you to be aware that you really do need to be a youthful 51 year old who is very fit and healthy!

I'm very sorry about your recent pregancy loss. Good luck with your journey, I hope it works out well for you and your partner. Keep us updated on how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 feliztjb

Hi Crazy Cat
    We are British,but are lucky enough to own a property in Spain and that's where we met 3years ago.My partner is 47 and we are physically and mentally younger than our years.I am an infant teacher(infant and ASD),so I know from first hand experience how demanding little ones are and ASD children can be extremely challenging,so I am very aware.Both of us spent many years running or going to the gym and that keeps you in great shape.My friend from NZ is 50 with twins and she's loving it.What's important is that although we found each other late in life(after bad relationships) we know we want the chance to make a family...and we will make fantastic parents.I have travelled and taught all over the world and my partner has done everything from own his own property business to manage an Indian restaurant ,so we live outside the box and are definitely not text book material.This age concern really depends on the individuals .We would love to adopt a young infant ,but we are too old,but in the UK not too old to continue working until we are 70!!
    Yes, we are having Indian donor eggs and sperm.
    From my last 3 cycles I have ben pregnant twice,so fingers crossed.
    Firstly my age restricts me having IVF in the UK,as seen by many clinic as too old and yes it is very expensive ,as you know,but the most important thing about the clinic in India is that it's so personal and the care and time I have received is amazing.After my ectopic op I had 24hour care and no infections.A friend of mine went into a hospital in the UK with fibriods and her bowel was torn and she caught an infection and had to stay in for 3weeks and I've read many similar stories.I commend the NHS because I know you do an excellent job and accidents happen ,but the doctor who performed my ectopic op is the same lady who is doing my IVF and knowing her expertise really helped me through that crucial time.as you can imagine.
    We plan to return to Spain ,once I am pregnant because it's a safe and beautiful place to bring up children.
    Thank you for your kind wishes x

Tell me to sod off if I'm being too nosey, but I'm really interested in your story! Thank you for your last post and for being so open about everything.

I understand why you would choose to use donor eggs given your age, but why the donor sperm also? Does your partner have known fertility problems? Also when using donor sperm and eggs (and this is going to sound really stupid) do you choose a donor from a type of catalogue like you might see on the telly?

Am I right in thinking that you have had 3 rounds of IVF with this clinic, 2 of which have resulted in pregnancy which unfortunately have not progressed? That really is a great success rate! How many rounds do you plan to have? Do you have a back up plan in case the time comes that you say enough is enough? (please god that won't happen!) But each loss must be very physically and mentally draining on you? I had 2 miscarriages so would understand the physical and mental effects first hand of a loss, but after going through assisted conception it must be alot harder!

Also, how do your friends and family feel about everything? Surely you miss having them around for support while you are in India? Do you have family in Spain? It really is a beautiful place. My grandparents actually live there!

Anyway, thank you again for your last post and sorry if i'm being too intrusive, but I really am intrigued! And again, best of luck with it all :)

Hi.I'm a very open minded person and you have to be able to explore all avenues in life to sometimes achieve your dream.I've never really done anything the easy way and I've always been challenged in all areas ,so this has only helped to mke me a stronger person.Each obstacle,each heartache just makes me more determined.He who dares wins...life is a process of growth;spiritually,mentally and phyically.
    My partner had a vasectomy quite a few years ago,as his ex wife didn't want children,so we need to use donor sperm.We have tried using his sperm(taken at source) but this did not result in a pregnancy.
    The ladies who donate their eggs are all medically screened and their eggs have already resulted in successful pregnancies.You can see a profile.These ladies are selected very carefully and it's not like a catalogue.Yes,the clinic has amazing success rates.Dr Kiran is doing this procedure all the time for IVF treatments and surrogacy and most of the surrogates fall pregnant on the first or second attempt.I've stayed with couples who have had their babies this way,so I personally know what great work the doctors do and this keeps us going...
    My friends are very supportive.One of my teacher friends has a cousin who had IVF at 52 and now twins ,so it's not that uncommon.My dad came round to the idea ,because he knew how happy it would make me,but sadly died while I was in India.My mum gives me no emotional support and never has.My partner's mum also died during treatment and his dad lives in Spain and is happy for us. I really miss my partner when I am in India,but I have made many friends and my partner and I see it as our second home now.The care and support I receive from the clinic helps enormously,because it's so personal.I stay in the clinic's apartment,that has a live in nurse who has become my very good friend.
    Spain is a great place for the elderly and many Brits retire there I imagine your grandparents love it.We love the Spanish way of life,the UK can be so stressful.We are very lucky to have our home there.
    How long have you been a midwife? It must be very rewarding to help to bring babies into the world,although I can imagine it must be quite stressful at times x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smc_lvc

I am so happy, feliztjb, to have stumbled on your post. My husband and I also married later in life (37) and have been trying for 3 years to conceive. Two miscarriages from natural pregnancy, several failed rounds of IUI and two failed rounds of IVF. The conclusion at 42 is that my egg quality is poor. We are exploring adoption, but I still have a hunger to bear a child. We are now considering the previously unexplored path of egg donation. Debating the merits of egg donation in India versus several other countries outside of the US where we live (...and where IVF is now cost prohibitive to us-- first rounds of treatment were covered under old insurance, but no longer under new plan). Can you share the name of the clinic where you are receiving treatment and any advice as to how best to select an Indian clinic? There are so many out there and I'm not sure how to evaluate. Also, what costs were involved in your treatment thus far? Thank you for sharing!

• Advertisement

Hi there so sorry to read about your unsuccessful journey so far,it's a tough ride ,isn't it? Sometimes ,you just can't plan your life as you would like it and I believe better late than never.
    We had the same problem when we started researching.We definitely wanted to go to India,but there are so many clinics out there.We were lucky to be able to meet Dr Kiran and Dr Samit before we went ,as they were attending an ESHRE conference.The clinic is the Kiran clinic in Hyderabad.They have a website,so you can check it out.They also have a Facebook page with photos and stories of couples all over the world who have had treatment there.Their website also has interviews with CNN and ABC news and Wall Street journal.So you can see they have an excellent reputation.You would need to contact them to find out a price,as this depends on individuals needs ,but an IVF cycle costs around 5,000 USD and this includes everything from consultations,scans,treatment and drugs.The most important thing for me is how personal the treatment is.I see the same doctor and she's very thorough,very professional and very easy to talk to.She's been doing this for over 30years.We trust these doctors and that is so important and we are confident that they will help us to have our baby.I hope this helps x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 semipermanent

feliztjb,

This is a bit off topic, but how did you find the experience of going through and side effects of IVF? I was considering being a surrogate but I'm not sure about going through IVF...

Hi there that's a wonderful thing to do,to carry a baby for someone who can't.
    I think the main concern with IVF is OHSS.This is when the ovaries can be stimulated excessively inorder to produce eggs,which are then used in IVF.As I am using donor eggs and am going through the menopause I don't have to go through this procedure.As a surrogate you would probably be using the biological mother's eggs or donor eggs,so you would also not go through this.Your periods would obviously need to be regulated so that you didn't ovulate when the embryo was being transferred into you.I take a drug to build up the blood in the lining of my womb,which is oestogen based and has also helped to alleviate the symptons of menopause.Just before embryo transfer and up until pregnancy test(2weeks later) you will have daily progesterone injections /pessaries to help sustain the embryo.Please note this is my experience and I am not a doctor ,so I would recommend you seek medical advice.Apart from rather sore hips(as these shots are oil based) I had no side effects.Do you already have children?I'm sure there are many women out there who have gone through the surrogacy proceess and would be happy to help you x

How are you getting on feliztjb? Where in the process are you at the minute?

Hi cat lady how are you? I'm planning to go back after Xmas now.I'm taking Progynova to keep my uterus in shape,so having monthly bleeds.I'm also having acupuncture and herbal tea to increase my blood flow and I'm walking for one hour a day...oh and eating Brazil nuts LOL.I meet up with another lady once a week who is around my age.She is also having IVF at the same clinic.We met in India and have become good friends...it all helps! x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 curlysue48

Hi Feliztjb...Hope you get this, How are you? How did everything go with your IVF in India? I'm 48 and have tried 3 IVFs with only one resulting in chemical pregnancy, now my partner and I are thinking of going to India where we hear its cheaper, we too are from the UK.

Please any updates will be greatly appreceaited.

All the best!

Hi Sue I had 3 pregnancies with the Kiran Infertility Centre in India,but sadly miscarried.We are now in the process of doing surrogacy.They are a fantastic clinic.Feel free to ask me any questions. x

• Registered Users Posts: 2 curlysue48

Hi Feliztjb,

Sorry to hear about your miscarriages and the pain you must have gone through, I pray you have a smooth painless surrogacy. Did they find out what may be causing the miscarriages? I have had 2 hysteroscopies to remove scarring and plus i have small fibroids which docs keep telling me should not interfere with TTC..also When you did the IVF with donor egg where you able to see pictures of the donors?

How long did you have to stay in India for IVF? did you start your medications before going to india?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to have an idea of what to expect before i go.

Thanks and Best wishes

xoxo

Hi Sue .You need to be in India about 2weeks and they can ship the drugs to you.The clinic has photos and profiles of all the donors.They have a Facebook page and a world wide reputation.Thankx for your support x

Advertisement