Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lawn assistance

Options
  • 21-09-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi there, we have an area that we need to add topsoil and seed with grass asap. See pic below showing one area - we used roundup weeks ago yet we still got all this growth coming through. Problem is now we have top soil arriving in 3 days and are leaving the country couple of days after that till xmas, so is there any advice on a quick solution. I dont need it to be perfect , just decent enough when we get back, We have someone who will water the new lawn over the next few weeks. I guess its not worth spreading more weedkiller, then laying the topsoil, then couple days later thrown down the seed or will that just result in dead grass...

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-RP_Zmr1pCRMjY3NzdlZGItNzMxMi00OWMyLThmZjYtYWQwYzUzNjA5NzQy&hl=en_US

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

The area doesnt look too big. Get a tray of beer in, ring some people, got a few hoes and clear the weeds. Spread the topsoil and seed and enjoy your break. You will get weeds with a new lawn anyway so don't worry to much about that now. Sort it out with weed killer in late spring next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I agree, weed killer is just temporary. Get out the biggest rooted weeds, spread your topsoil and sow the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Thanks lads - I wish it was just that area, thats just about 1/6 of the area..Should I leave the smaller uprooted weeds to die - I have hoe'd an area already and raked the larger ones up but its hard to get all the smaller weeds I uprooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Ideally yes. Chances are most of them are annual weeds from seeds on the wind, so a quick surface hoe will cut them down and they will probably just die. But if you havn't the time to collect them up then just go ahead and put down the soil and seed and tackle the problem next year with a weedkiller and regular mowing.

Advertisement