Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a Leisure Battery

• 21-09-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47

I've recently bought a 1984 VW T25 and went out to buy a replacement Leisure battery for it.

It's a brand new battery, so I know it works, but I can't get anything to run off it, not even a light.

I haven't got a clue about the wiring system of the van, but I do know that the electrics run fine off the mains.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might need to check to see what's wrong?

I'm probably not doing something very simple but I can't see where the wires run from the leisure battery.

There is a circuit breaker in the van, but that seems to be just for the mains.

There are also a few sockets and switches about the place which I have no idea of their function.

I suppose my first question is should the lights work as soon as the leisure battery is connected, or is there a switch that needsa to be flicked first.

If not, then the power is not running to my lights, so what would you reccomned as a next step?

Very Frustrating.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Have you a multimeter? You need to check the battery voltage , regardless of it being new . Then check the bulbs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 steveod

I don't have a multimeter, but it says 12v on the side of the battery.

What would I be looking for on the multimeter?

that the battery is charged , and that the power is getting to the bulbs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

steveod wrote: »
    I suppose my first question is should the lights work as soon as the leisure battery is connected, or is there a switch that needsa to be flicked first.
    Is there a zig type unit in the van? If not, could it be possible there are seperate 12v and 240v systems, and the lights you're trying don't actually operate off the leisure battery? Is there anything that'll definitely be 12v that you could try - e.g. a cig lighter socket in the rear, a submersible pump for a tap, a fridge/ coolbox with 12v and 240v switch?

Macy, what is a Zig Unit? Will I find one at the end of the LB live wire? Where would a zig unit be located? I have a switch on the dashboard. just next to the steering column, which doesn't seem to do anything. Might that be it?

The battery is definately charged, so had a root around in the back and followed the cable from the circuit breaker panel to the lights in question (and to the water pump and some sockets) and then followed the cable running from the circuit breaker to the 240v supply source.

At no point is this circuit joined by any other cables so it looks like my shiney new leisure battery is doing feck all except sitting there looking all shiney and new.

I suppose the next thing is to work out is where the wires running out of the leisure battery actually go to.

Once I've found the end of these wires I might have a better idea of WTF is going on.

Incedentally I found some wires running from the LB down to the engine where they were connected (well half connected) to a thing called a "Battery Charging Siren" never heard of one of these but assume it goes off when the battery is dead, hence the previous owner disconnecting it, and it not making a sound when I reconnect with new battery.

Am I right?

• Advertisement

I think I'm getting somewhere. My understanding is that the Leisure Battery runs to the secondary fuse box, no?

There is a fuse box on the T25, in front of the passenger seat, above the glove compartment. Is that it?

Macy, I've just seen a picture of a zig unit. I definately don't have one of those.

take spme pics of the battery area , and the inside of the van , and we may be better able to help you .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Steve,
    The Zig unit is names after the company that make it. It's a glorified battery charger and a few switches....

The way most campers work is you have 12V DC for everything, lights pump.... then a 240V AC hook-up that goes to trips then to the fridge, a socket , sometimes a light and then to the Zig to charge the battery.

The battery is charged in two ways, by a split charge relay when the engine is running. When the engine is off the relay disconnects it from the engine battery, when it's running both batteries are charged from the engine. Then when you hook up to the mains the battery is charged by the Zig, if you set the switches correctly.

Is your camper factory built or a home conversion, if it's a home conversion then who knows how it's wired, maybe go back to the seller and get a run through or phone them

Advertisement