Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad ripoff

Options
  • 21-09-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Just went to buy a second hand iPad from cex shop on Liffey street the price was 425€ I asked could I look at the 16 gig wi fi only, thinking it was an iPad 2 but to my horror it was an iPad 1, hmv sold the last of theirs off for 399 brand new. Anyway. I google cex uk store and low an behold 16 gig iPad 1 is 325£ or about 375 euro.
    Anyway I didn't buy it and now I guess I'm just blown off steam.
    End rant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

£325 is €400 at today's exchange rate and you would pay commision on top. Vat is higher here, and p&p plus insurance would make it MORE expensive to buy in UK. Ipads may be expensive due to demand but the price quoted here relative to the example you gave in UK is not a ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 murphageegee

not accoreding to XE. com the give the most accurate conversions on line and it is
    325.00 GBP = 371.274 EUR British Pound Euro 1 GBP = 1.14238 EUR 1 EUR = 0.875365 GBP

and im just saying we pay more then britain for same item same shop, nothing to do with me wanting to buy an ipad in britain, i'd rather spend my money in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

you again havent factored in VAT and the numerous other increases that might not be the shop but government related etc.

davo10 wrote: »
    £325 is €400 at today's exchange rate and you would pay commision on top. Vat is higher here, and p&p plus insurance would make it MORE expensive to buy in UK. Ipads may be expensive due to demand but the price quoted here relative to the example you gave in UK is not a ripoff.
    did you read my post?
    what the hell are you talking about????

Jagle wrote: »
    you again havent factored in VAT and the numerous other increases that might not be the shop but government related etc.
    again... i dont care its 325 in london, i care that a year old ipad is dearer now by 26 euro then a year ago brand new. and the fact that if i lived in london i could buy it today for €371 euro today, also rend in their london stores is much higher then rent in dublin..
    425 euro for i second hand ipad is a ripoff,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

not accoreding to XE. com the give the most accurate conversions on line and it is
    325.00 GBP = 371.274 EUR British Pound Euro 1 GBP = 1.14238 EUR 1 EUR = 0.875365 GBP

Your maths are fine but you forgot one thing.

You won't get STG£325 for €371.27.

You will pay fees to whoever you use and €400 is a more realistic figure.

Anyhow, back on topic, if they can get that price for one (and indeed other items they sell) then let them off as it may be the difference between them staying in business of not.

There is a point where it stops being a bargain for the customer and starts being a loss making situation for the supplier and there are too many places in a "race to the bottom" price-wise at the moment which will end up with even more places having to shut and even more people laid off.

And I'm not missing your point, I do see it's still expensive here, but some places have no choice if they want to survive and pay the rent / rates / etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

again... i dont care its 325 in london, i care that a year old ipad is dearer now by 26 euro then a year ago brand new. and the fact that if i lived in london i could buy it today for €371 euro today, also rend in their london stores is much higher then rent in dublin..
    425 euro for i second hand ipad is a ripoff,

well you dont know the rent rates, costs of staying in business, insurance, costs of workers salaries etc.
    bottom line is if its too expensive dont buy, why are you getting and ipad1 when ipad 3 is out in January

Cerbera wrote: »
    Your maths are fine but you forgot one thing.

You won't get STG£325 for €371.27.

You will pay fees to whoever you use and €400 is a more realistic figure.

Anyhow, back on topic, if they can get that price for one (and indeed other items they sell) then let them off as it may be the difference between them staying in business of not.

There is a point where it stops being a bargain for the customer and starts being a loss making situation for the supplier and there are too many places in a "race to the bottom" price-wise at the moment which will end up with even more places having to shut and even more people laid off.

And I'm not missing your point, I do see it's still expensive here, but some places have no choice if they want to survive and pay the rent / rates / etc
    i accept your point.
    but the thing that upset me was the €425, i was thinking around that money for an ipad 2 second hand and around 6 months old, ipad 1 cant be worth more then €350 second hand and they are out a good long time now too so battery and wear and tear would be an issue in these second hand devices, just to be clear, this was a pre owned used grade B ipad #1, surley no one can say €425 is not a ripoff??????

Jagle wrote: »
    well you dont know the rent rates, costs of staying in business, insurance, costs of workers salaries etc.
    bottom line is if its too expensive dont buy, why are you getting and ipad1 when ipad 3 is out in January
    ah i will wait for the new one now jagle, i just can belive the cost of the old ones, keep their value longer then gold ha ha ha ha

A ripoff is where in a consumer's opinion, that a vendor is charging too much and is making "excessive" profits.

Firstly, the XE.com rate is a "trading" rate, ie. banks/investment companies etc who trade large currency volumes trade at these prices. The rate you get from a bank/bureau/credit card will be lower.

Secondly, the UK market is considerably bigger and has more competition than here, they shift larger volumes of goods so can afford to offer bigger discounts.

Thirdly, as stated the UK has a lower vat rate than here.

Forthly the cost of doing business is higher here though hopefully this should be falling.

Fifthly there is a supply/demand issue, there may be more ipad1's available for sale in the UK than here so prices are lower, this is simple economics.

Lastly, if you feel you want to purchase it in the UK at £325, buy it with your credit card, see how much p&p along with the lower exchange rate and insurance costs to ship and electrical item here, not to mention if something goes wrong with it and you have to send it back rather than walking down to the local electrical shop.

I know this is your first post but you would be amazed how often threads like this have been discussed here, where there are relatively small price differences between items here and abroad and where there may be no decernable profit difference between the two vendors.

Incvidently, the price of gold fluctuates and is very expensive at the moment, would you consider the purchase price of this a ripoff?

• Advertisement

ok, so end of the day... do you feel €425 for a second hand used ipad 16gig wifi only is a fair price considering €399 is what apple sold them for new?

What you or I feel is a "fair price" for an ipad is debatable, personally I would not buy one, but that does not mean you are being ripped off by the seller in Dublin considering that the going rate for a second hand ipad is universally high. A limited edition Aston Martin may have cost £20k forty years ago but costs €200k now because there is a consumer demand for the product. That's the nature of supply and demand, simples.

just seen this in bargain alerts posted by one of the lads...
    For those interested...

Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB (first generation)

€279.00

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FB...co=MjEzNzcyOTk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

How on earth is this a rip-off? The shop is not forcing you to buy it, they have not hidden the price, they have not conjoled you to buy it or anything if the sort. They have put a price on it and it may or may not bd the price someone will buy it at - but its no way whatsoever a rip-off in any sense of the word whatsoever.

ask the lad who pays €425 for the ipad 1 does he feel like he got a good deal or would he had rathered gotten a refurb off apple for €279 and see who feels ripped off... and that my friends is the essence of a ripoff..............

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

That my friend is an 'idiot' rather than ripoff....

Advertisement