Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re new loading pen

• 21-09-2011 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I was thinking of making some sort of loading pen at a bit of land away from the main house and yard. Was wondering what would be best to use. Somebody said crash barriers but do not know where to look for them. Am in Cavan area. Maybe somebody might have more ideas. I know gates are an option but was interested to know what others have done. Something simple enough that I can do myself. Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Somebody said crash barriers but do not know where to look for them. Am in Cavan area. Maybe somebody might have more ideas. Cheers.

Get yourself and a mate a couple of hi-viz suits, a white transit, a 16 ft IW trailer, a compressor in the van with an air gun, a 19/24mm socket and off you go. It is rip off Ireland afterall!!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 knotta clue

Thank you for your reply.
    I presume this is how they are got in the first place. however it is not what I had in mind. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I put up a holding pen like that a few years back. I used 5 railway girders with rings welded on one side. Galvanised tubes run through the rings. I then ran a strip of concrete about 3ft wide down along the whole length. I put 3 uprights (railway girders again) inside these to make a crush. I then hung gates off the 2 end free girders. The concrete strip then holds it all together.
    On the other side of the pen, I used old ESB poles put into holes and packed with loose gravel only, no concrete. Timber 4x4, I think then used as horizontals. On the front section of the steel side the tubes can be removed to put in a creep gate to feed weanlings. Did it for under a 1,000 Euro if I remember right.
    I'll do a sketch and put it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

crash barriers will do fine you will need at least 3 on the sides ideally 4, you should consider leaving the drivers side (when reversing in with a trailer) longer than the pen that way when you open the gate to load animals you will have a natural funnel, to this end if help loading is an issue 2 small gates may work better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Rough Sketch

• Advertisement

Many thanks for the swift reply. You described it in great detail which I really appreciate. Not many would go to the trouble of drawing a diagram also. First class. Cheers.

Many thanks for your quick reply. All information is appreciated. Any idea on price of barriers or similar. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Thinking about doing the same thing, but only using it as a gathering pen, not really for loading, thus making it fairly large. Was thinking about driving a series of straining posts (8 - 10ft in length) and attaching a few rows of 2" joined steel pipe onto these. Posts c. €12 a go, with the pipes around €25 per 6m. Had considered using railway sleepers as the uprights but there usually > €20 each and many are split, thus unsuitable for holding nails or bolts. Also, crash barriers are dearer and only half the length of the pipes. Need to get something done soon enough too as it's a bitch trying to get cattle out of the field I intend to erect it in.

Thanks again for the reply. Sounds good what you say. Longer lenghts definately better than the barriers. I know what you mean about getting anything out of field without some form of pen. Cheeers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

If you want to do a serious job precast concrete will be the daddy, Most of my walls around the yards now are wideslab pre-stressed concrete. You maybe surprised that its costing less that steel gates, blocks and is a job for life, oh and if you want to move them and put somewhere else thats simples as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

gilmore engineering beside between swanns cross, corcagahan in monaghan has them

On a more serious note than my previous post, if you are in a hurry for it drive 8' H-irons about 3 foot into the ground with a post driver. Hang 16' gates on them. You will need to point the ends of them first, and you will need to use a crowbar . Use a short chain and bolt on the gates top and bottom at each end, those bolt on hangers can pop under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Thanks for the info. Cheers

Many thanks for the info re Gilmores. Will give them a go. Cheers

Many thanks for this info. I certainly did not consider anything in concrete. Will get some prices. Thanks Again.

Thanks again for the help.Another good idea. I have plenty to think over . Many thanks

Many thanks for your quick reply. All information is appreciated. Any idea on price of barriers or similar. Cheers

A wheeler dealer(Del boy type) had crash barriers in Roscrea 2 yrs ago, selling them for 23-25e each. I think 3 joined together spans 10m. Scaffold pipes from a builder might be another alternative if you can get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

if you look at the photos that vander put up of the ploughing the penning that my cow was in was from one of the blue boys loading pens for his yard andhe moves it around.all the gates were joined by a bar slotted down a hole on the corners,it was easy to put up and down:o,the gates were extra high awell,a very very good job,but cost a few euro.

Advertisement