Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin McGuinnes Thread interned

Options
  • 21-09-2011 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

I am wondering why have boards.ie locked the Martin McGuinness thread from After hours ?

At almost 40k views it was the most popular thread on there at the moment, and is a widely interesting general topic.

It is now closed and posters referred to the politics /election forum, however this is odd to me as I don't recall any of the multiple Norris threads in after hours getting the same treatment.

Also, can anyone confirm if or when boards.ie intends to include martin McGuinness in the 'Presidential canditate boards.ie video interview' series ? Such as was the case also with Norris.

I pm'd about this on monday and got no meaningful response.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

In response to the closing of the thread in AH, all threads regarding the presidential election(if they haven't already died off)will be closed in time and users directed to the Election forum

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I guess it was seen as too politically charged for AH.. unlike the Norris threads which were more of a flavour of the day type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The Master wrote: »
    In response to the closing of the thread in AH, all threads regarding the presidential election(if they haven't already died off)will be closed in time and users directed to the Election forum
    This doesnt seem to be happening, any reason why?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't think the Dana one was moved either. ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not to worry, if historical precedent is any guide, it will return from its internment in a different guise; skilfully gainsay its tumultuous past and have many people that should know better queueing up to endorse it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

stovelid wrote: »
    Not to worry, if historical precedent is any guide, it will return from its internment in a different guise; skilfully gainsay its tumultuous past and have many people that should know better queueing up to endorse it.

What a fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

Frankly, I don't want to talk politics with anyone who would log on to an election forum.

The pres election is classic pub talk and is well suited to AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Always seems to be the same main posters on MMG threads anyway and very little difference in the content or style.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Outrageous. Will there be a dirty protest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

stovelid wrote: »

What a fail.

Bang to rights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Jayzus, I was only messin' bout the dirty protest.

Where the hell did that last thread go to?

wont tell anyone, I swear....

There's an awful lot of threads being moved or locked in there lately isn't there? Seems a little odd to restrict what people can talk about, within limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

jimdeans wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of threads being moved or locked in there lately isn't there?
    Lately? What time period are you using as a benchmark?
    Seems a little odd to restrict what people can talk about, within limits.
    Now, this one is really confusing.

El Weirdo wrote: »

What's confusing? All the other presidential threads are open while the MMG one was locked, it isn't rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

What's confusing? All the other presidential threads are open while the MMG one was locked, it isn't rocket science.
    Read the line I quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

No news on the Martin McGuinness boards.ie video interview ?

I remember boards.ie pushing the Norris interview on the front page, was told it was equally open to all candidates.

Norris is no longer officially a candidate and McGuinness is so I would expect boards to offer the same platform to McGuinness as it has done in the past to Norris. No ?

Can anyone confirm has it been scheduled or has anything been done to arrange it ? Have any decisions been made in regard to that ?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Lately? What time period are you using as a benchmark?

I'm using the last few days. When I wrote this there were 4 or 5 threads locked or moved on one page.

Dunno what's confusing about what I wrote.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Morlar wrote: »

I remember boards.ie pushing the Norris interview on the front page, was told it was equally open to all candidates.

Norris is no longer officially a candidate and McGuinness is so I would expect boards to offer the same platform to McGuinness as it has done in the past to Norris. No ?

Can anyone confirm has it been scheduled or has anything been done to arrange it ? Have any decisions been made in regard to that ?

Pretty sure Darragh was the man who dealt with that kind of thing. His position is yet to be filled, as far as I'm aware, so the resources aren't there to do more interviews yet.

Pretty sure Darragh was the man who dealt with that kind of thing. His position is yet to be filled, as far as I'm aware, so the resources aren't there to do more interviews yet.

Set the date and time, arrange an office & I will do it.

If boards.ie is so short staffed as to not be able to spare anyone for 1- 1.5 hrs to tape an interview with a leading candidate in the Irish Presidential election of 2011 I will personally offer my time to help out.

How hard can a call or email to the SF press office from boards.ie be ? Outlining your audience and programme of video interviews with ALL candidates ?

You could do it for other candidates quite easily enough, so if boards.ie is to be taken seriously as a politically impartial group then it is a requirement to treat candidates in an even handed manner - no ?

Treating candidates in an even handed manner would require an even platform to all. If it's only given to one candidate, or engineered such to refuse coverage to another candidate, then it's not an even platform it's an endorsement in disguise.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Set the date and time, arrange an office & I will do it.

If boards.ie is so short staffed as to not be able to spare anyone for 1- 1.5 hrs to tape an interview with a leading candidate in the Irish Presidential election of 2011 I will personally offer my time to help out.

Fire in an oul' CV there for yourself there so, like a good man. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056339045
    How hard can a call or email to the SF press office from boards.ie be ? Outlining your audience and programme of video interviews with ALL candidates ?

You could do it for other candidates quite easily enough, so if boards.ie is to be taken seriously as a politically impartial group then it is a requirement to treat candidates in an even handed manner - no ?

Treating candidates in an even handed manner would require an even platform to all. If it's only given to one candidate, or engineered such to refuse coverage to another candidate, then it's not an even platform it's an endorsement in disguise.

Blah blah blah, political conspiracy, blah. This has gone way beyond the point of the OP, but anyway.
    It shouldn't be the site's responsibility to approach every single political party in the country. The candidates should be contacting the site if they're so interested in being interviewed, not the other way around.

• Advertisement

Fire in an oul' CV there for yourself there so, like a good man. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056339045

Blah blah blah, political conspiracy, blah. This has gone way beyond the point of the OP, but anyway.
    It shouldn't be the site's responsibility to approach every single political party in the country. The candidates should be contacting the site if they're so interested in being interviewed, not the other way around.

I think it's a serious enough issue not to be laughed off.

Also to point out - the OP had 2 parts, (this one has been ignored so far).

I didn't use the words 'political conspiracy' you did.

Would you agree with these points here are legitimate concerns (rather than dismiss them offhand) ? ? ? :

Blah blah blah, political conspiracy, blah.

If you can't give reasonable feedback on the issue, why do you bother posting?

The OP still hasn't been responded to by any of the mods or admin on the site, which is a clear enough message of bias in my opinion.

He always seems to be here, fighting boards' battles at every opportunity. Don't know why.

A post DeVore that made in the Politics forum would suggest that an interview is at least being considered.
    DeVore wrote: »
    I'm not trolling, I genuinely would like to hear the guys answer to that. Unfortunately, I doubt I'm going to be allowed to do the McGuinness interview for Boards.

DeV.

FWIW I pm'd Dav on this subject on 19th Sept and was told that they would be in contact with the other candidates 'in due course'.

However since then, nothing has been announced to the best of my knowledge. So given the respective handling of different candidates, I think it's a fair question.

A post DeVore that made in the Politics forum would suggest that an interview is at least being considered.

I don't follow, (tone or context or link would help) is that saying Dev will not be permitted to perform the interview ? Permitted by whom exactly ?
    Does that mean the candidate has refused or internal boardspol means that a different interviewer be selected ? Or that there is some other barrier to that interview proceeding ?

Here's the link to the thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74565672#post74565672

I'm guessing what DeV means is that he wouldn't be seen by others as impartial enough to conduct such an interview himself. Pure speculation on my part, mind you.

Here's the link to the thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74565672#post74565672

I'm guessing what DeV means is that he wouldn't be seen by others as impartial enough to conduct such an interview himself. Pure speculation on my part, mind you.
    I'm decidedly opposed to this person representing me in any way, or indeed being near me. It wouldnt be fair for me to conduct it.

I have a feeling that the norris boards interview and any future McGuinness one will make for an interesting comparison.

The OP still hasn't been responded to by any of the mods or admin on the site, which is a clear enough message of bias in my opinion.
    He always seems to be here, fighting boards' battles at every opportunity. Don't know why.

Say the two lads who only showed up here a month ago. LOL.

I gave only proper feedback in my first post. And there was honest feedback in my second post too. Ye just highlighted the flippant part. Poor debating on your parts, I must say.

• Advertisement

Say the two lads who only showed up here a month ago. LOL.

Which has to do with what?

You are coming across as a bit of a dick, as a moderator surely you enforce the "don't be a dick" rule.

Advertisement