Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin McGuinnes Thread interned

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

Say the two lads who only showed up here a month ago. LOL.

I gave only proper feedback in my first post. And there was honest feedback in my second post too. Ye just highlighted the flippant part. Poor debating on your parts, I must say.

My account got mongled during the database hacking thing. I've been around boards for as long as you, though rarely as a poster, and you're always at it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Which has to do with what?

You are coming across as a bit of a dick, as a moderator surely you enforce the "don't be a dick" rule.
    jimdeans wrote: »
    My account got mongled during the database hacking thing. I've been around boards for as long as you, though rarely as a poster, and you're always at it.

If you know the site as well as you claim to, you'd both also know that personalising a debate will rarely get you anywhere. How often I post in this forum has nothing to do with what I posted in this thread.

Honestly, if ye want to get to the bottom of the whole argument, stop bothering me and focus on clarifying your point and what you want done about it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Im sure the guys will do any interviews that make sense and are convienent.

Im pretty sure the guys are not holding back an interview because of being biased but because there are more important site related issues to deal with.

boards.ie duties > political interviews

And why exactly should boards let you represent them to a presidential candidate as their representative???

Also note mods/cmods/admins are volunteer for the most part and dont engage in those offical duties either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Considering the lack of update to this and the absence of a McGuinness interview it seems clear the boards policy on this.

I'd have a lot more respect for boards.ie if they conducted themselves in a more politically neutral manner as regards candidate interviews. I think there was a missed opportunity here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Get Marty to shoot them a steely glance, pregnant with menace.

• Advertisement

There wasn't much steely glances present when I checked.

To illustrate this point here he was meeting the relatives of the 1916 Proclamation signatories last Friday at the GPO as part of the 'Save 16 Moore St' Campaign.

Martin_McGuinness0001bw.jpg

Martin_McGuinness_GPO_Oct_2011_0016bw.jpg

Martin_McGuinness_GPO_Oct_2011_0028bw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

On the Frontline debate you may have noticed he wore a small badge. That was a "save Moore Street" badge.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    On the Frontline debate you may have noticed he wore a small badge. That was a "save Moore Street" badge.

I did indeed :)

'Save 16 Moore St' from the property developers who want to put a Mall there. Kind of poignant that he wore the badge when he addressed the FF candidate for taking 5k envelopes. I was there when he was given the badge btw,

Here is a pic of it :

Martin_McGuinness_GPO_Oct_2011_0092bw.jpg

Martin_McGuinness_GPO_Oct_2011_0093bw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

And last week there was the thread bemoaning too much air-time being given to SF, along with claims that Boards.ie was backing a pro SF agenda.

Personally, I don't see evidence of Boards censoring MMcG discussion, nor enabling a SF agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think people are just disappointed that not all the candidates had boards.ie interviews and as far as I can see little effort has been made to get the interviews.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    And last week there was the thread bemoaning too much air-time being given to SF, along with claims that Boards.ie was backing a pro SF agenda.

Personally, I don't see evidence of Boards censoring MMcG discussion, nor enabling a SF agenda.

At the point in time this thread was started after hours was coming to an end of a couple of weeks of wall to wall david norris threads.

The first Martin McGuinness thread had approx 40k views was in full flow when it was shut down.

The second part of the thread was about the apparent reluctance on the part of boards.ie to follow through & interview ALL candidates, after having made such a big deal about the david norris interview. It's political correctness gone mad I tells ya.*

*this part was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Morlar wrote: »
    The second part of the thread was about the apparent reluctance on the part of boards.ie to follow through & interview ALL candidates

McGuinness seemed to have a bit of "schedule" problems during the election though as I know at least one major evening Radio show couldn't tie him down for a 1-1 interview so maybe the same just happened here

McGuinness seemed to have a bit of "schedule" problems during the election though as I know at least one major evening Radio show couldn't tie him down for a 1-1 interview so maybe the same just happened here

Or 'maybe' there was just less desire on the part of senior boards management to interview that candidate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Or 'maybe' there was just less desire on the part of senior boards management to interview that candidate ?

And the staffing issues!

Was Mitchell interviewed?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    And the staffing issues!

Was Mitchell interviewed?

I doubt mitchell would have spoken to boards, besides with his thundering mandate of 2% it hardly matters.

This thread (and question) is about the removal of the McGuinness thread at a time when it was the most popular in after hours, while at that same time after hours was also cock in both ears chockablock full of Norris threads. If you recall posters had taken to first name terms, it was all 'David this and David that' ad infinitum.

The 2nd part of this thread was about the lack of a McGuinness video interview, despite requests for same. I don't recall senior boards figures making negative comments about Mitchell however - can you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I doubt mitchell would have spoken to boards, besides with his thundering mandate of 2% it hardly matters.

This thread (and question) is about the removal of the McGuinness thread at a time when it was the most popular in after hours, while at that same time after hours was also cock in both ears chockablock full of Norris threads. If you recall posters had taken to first name terms, it was all 'David this and David that' ad infinitum.

The 2nd part of this thread was about the lack of a McGuinness video interview, despite requests for same. I don't recall senior boards figures making negative comments about Mitchell however - can you ?
    Morlar wrote:
    The second part of the thread was about the apparent reluctance on the part of boards.ie to follow through & interview ALL candidates, after having made such a big deal about the david norris interview. It's political correctness gone mad I tells ya.*

Ah right, I thought it was some idea about fairness for all candidates as you posted earlier today, not just ones that have a small vote as per polls.

That's that clarified anyway.

I haven't really followed comments from the staff tbh.
    Still think it's a staffing issue and not a conspiracy against McGuinness or Mitchell for that matter, but that's probably what they want us to think!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Why, Yes. That certainly explains why they shut down the first McGuinness thread yet left the Norris ones to run in circles for weeks on end prior to that !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

... also cock in both ears chockablock...

Stay classy

Advertisement