Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Dogs be on a Lead in a Public Place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

chughes wrote: »
    I would consider being on a lead as effective control. How would you define effective control ?

Well it's how the law defines 'effective control', not how andreac defines it!! Plus for greyhounds I believe there is a difference in the law when referring to racing greyhounds which I believe must be muzzled in public and kept on a lead, and pet/non racing greyhounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

andreac wrote: »
    Sure that can be said about any dog off the lead then...:rolleyes:

And should be said. They are not evil animals but these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Also, a greyhound maul a child, are you serious?? :mad:

Is this serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

ISDW wrote: »
    Really? I have seen many dogs on leads and most definitely not under effective control.

OK, I'll rephrase. I would consider a responsible and competent person holding the lead to be effective control.

I'd still like to hear other definitions of effective control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Rustynut, are you going to start quoting incidents of anyone and everyone who has been attacked/mauled by all sorts of dogs??

The dog hasnt done anything wrong, the owner is at fault. The OP needs to speak to the owner and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

chughes wrote: »
    OK, I'll rephrase. I would consider a responsible and competent person holding the lead to be effective control.

I'd still like to hear other definitions of effective control.

It doesnt matter about other or our definitions as they wouldnt stand up in a court of law.

The OP asked do dogs have to be on a lead in a public place and the answer is NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The OP asked do dogs have to be on a lead in a public place and the answer is NO.

The OP asked do GREYHOUNDS have to be on a lead in a public place and the answer is YES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

It doesnt matter about other or our definitions as they wouldnt stand up in a court of law.

While that was the general question of the OP, the specific question related to greyhounds, where the answer is yes.

Bizzum wrote: »
    The OP asked do GREYHOUNDS have to be on a lead in a public place and the answer is YES.

But isn't it only RACING greyhounds this applies to, a pet/non racing greyhound it 'just another pet dog' (for want of a better phrase)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    But isn't it only RACING greyhounds this applies to, a pet/non racing greyhound it 'just another pet dog' (for want of a better phrase)

The act says,

10.—(1) A person shall not permit a greyhound to be in any public place unless such greyhound is being led by means of a sufficiently strong chain or leash.

(2) A person shall not lead or cause or permit to be led by any one person more than four greyhounds at a time in any public place.

In the interpretation section,

“greyhound” includes any whippet and any strain or cross of greyhound or whippet;

It does not say racing or registered etc, so on the plain reading of the Act, it seems to cover any greyhound or whippet or cross.

• Advertisement

Section 10 of the '86 Act uses the term "Greyhound", there is no memtion of what the dog does for a living:).
    Maybe there is mention in other legislation Eg. the 1958 Act, but I don't know of any!

Section 10 of the '86 Act uses the term "Greyhound", there is no memtion of what the dog does for a living:).
    Maybe there is mention in other legislation Eg. the 1958 Act, but I don't know of any!

I would imagine this would be 'open to interpretation' as most of these 'laws' seem to be.

I think the best advice was to approach the owner and mention your fear etc from another poster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Rustynut, are you going to start quoting incidents of anyone and everyone who has been attacked/mauled by all sorts of dogs??

The dog hasnt done anything wrong, the owner is at fault. The OP needs to speak to the owner and take it from there.

I was replying to a post which insinuated that a greyhound would never attack a child, I know it's the owners fault but given the right circumstances any dog will attack.

IMHO anybody that allows a dog to approach people without checking if it's ok is just plane irresponsible.

Greyhounds might be generally passive lazy pets but if you are a kid and are approached by a dog that's the same size as you it can be a terrifying experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, the interpretation is for the breed itself of greyhound. Animals legislation is written only from the point of view of commercial interests, not with regard to keeping animals as pets. Hence why we have so little of it.

The specific restrictions on greyhounds (which also prevents anyone from leading more than four at a time) are because I understand that trained racing greyhounds will basically bolt and chase anything small which runs past them; like a cat. Legislators would never consider that someone would keep a greyhound for anything other than racing :rolleyes:

This legislation, coupled with the common practice of muzzling greyhounds just in case they catch a cat (they're quick!) leads people to believe that greyhounds are dangerous. By jaysus they're not.

I would imagine this would be 'open to interpretation' as most of these 'laws' seem to be.

Looks clear enough to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

While there appears to be an (out of date and unneccessary imo) clause in the control of dogs act for greyhounds, the OP seemingly has issues with any large dogs. They state they don't mind small dogs being kept in their apartment block.

If approached by (for example) a great dane or an irish wolfhound which are considerably bigger than a greyhound they would display the same hysteria and no such by laws apply to these breeds (and rightly so)

I notice the OP hasn't returned to the thread but I would hope that they will address their fears as greyhounds can be the most loveable of dogs - as can any dog in the right environment.

I always fear that people who are afraid of dogs or any other animals is that they will pass this fear on to others or worse still their children if they have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Have a look at the Thread title... This little arguement will sort itself!! :rolleyes:

I dont think all dogs should be on leads in a Public Place at all times. Think of it like this for me and anyone else who works shifts, On any given morning I walk my dog at about 6am, there is never anyone and I literally mean nobody around so my dog is let off the leash to run around on his own. Now change my shift and I walk him at 3pm and the local park is full so he stays on leash...

OP as has been previously said it is the owner you need to have a word with, his dogs are clearly friendly, my reason for thinking this is as in one of your posts you say they bounded up towards you without him in sight.. if these were dangerous/mad/crazy/wild/man eaters they would have attacked you. But..... they didnt!!!

Have a chat with him and sort it out ;)

On a larger scale, we(on boards) are but a few small people in this big war of words about dogs on leads!! There will always be people out there willing to break this law and many more others!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

When walking close to roads or on pedestrian footpaths it's best practice to have your dog on the lead. If your in the forest or at the beach and your dog is good on recall I see no problem with allowing your dog run free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

NO MORE SHOUTING AT EACH OTHER PEOPLE!!!!

:p

ILoveShoez wrote: »
    But these are GREYHOUNDS!

I said it to the owner about the dogs being on a lead and all I got from him was "Show me that in the rule book!":mad::mad:

The above quote is from the OP.

"Show me that in the rule book" the OP was asked.

And I did.
    Case closed:).

• Advertisement

garkane wrote: »
    Have a look at the Thread title... This little arguement will sort itself!! :rolleyes:

Have a chat with him and sort it out ;)

OP already tried this and was told to produce the rulebook essentially.
    The thread title is irrelevant when we are dealing with greyhounds, specifically because they are mentioned in the legislation.
    OP is now armed with said rulebook!

I'm not sure what smiley to use here to conclude ...........So I'll use none!

fair point Bizzum.. i would have used a -> :D <- face to end your last post!!

thread "locked"

0¬ <--- like my key :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

OP lives in apartment which may have rules and regulations, most apartments dont allow pets. Some do but have internal rules and laws too prohibit pets. OP should approch managment company too discuss this .. Pets may not be alloweed and intefere with block insurance policy. If you inform managment of your concerns you should be accomadated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

But at the same time the dogs in question have not done anything wrong and so why should they be punished, if the owner said show me it in writing then she can approach him and quote this forum and the link to the Laws regarding Greyhounds. I find too many people want to go to extreams as their first move and it is a very defensive stance to take, what every happened to the good old days where people were willing to talk to one another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

This forum is only this forum and its participants not the law, i said apartments have seperate rules...which may have no pet policy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Personally, i learned something new from this thread..so thanks Bizzum
    Control of Greyhounds section 10, Control of dogs act 1986

I could be here all day explaining why they are the most adorable dogs and the law is wrong etc etc...but i wont. If you know Greys,know dogs...and are willing to see beyond "the breed stereotype" then you'll know section 10 is crazy.

Driving home the other day,while crawling in traffic in Leeson St. Dublin i saw a really trendy,mid 20ish lady confidently walking a beautiful black greyhound (non muzzled),on a relaxed lead through rush hour peeps. I smiled ...it made my day:)

Times are changing....we'll get there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

No greyhound, be it a racing greyhound or retired is required by law to wear a muzzle, but they are required to be on lead. This law dates back to the time when greyhounds were only working dogs and not considered pets. There are many pet greyhounds who are perfectly fine off lead, so hopefully one day they won't be subject to such a rule.

No one should be letting any dog or any breed run up to children.

In my experience doing some small scale rehoming and organising walks for people with greyhounds and lurchers the message is getting out there slowly but surely. I've noticed too Anniehoo, that lots of quite 'hip' young couple are increasingly interested in adopting greyhounds! Good taste obviously :D

Vel there are hundreds of laws not just this one that are not up to date, should we flaunt them all??

Lets jump on the merry go round because this could go on and on and on!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

garkane wrote: »
    Vel there are hundreds of laws not just this one that are not up to date, should we flaunt them all??

Lets jump on the merry go round because this could go on and on and on!! :p
    Errr, who mentioned anything about flouting the law????? I merely clarified the law as regards racing greyhounds as someone above stated they are required to be muzzled, when this isn't the case and I stated that I hoped one day greyhounds wouldn't be subject to this particular law.

At no stage did I suggest anyone flout this law and as someone who regularly organises walks for pet greyhounds and lurchers I would NEVER do so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

OP already tried this and was told to produce the rulebook essentially.
    The thread title is irrelevant when we are dealing with greyhounds, specifically because they are mentioned in the legislation.
    OP is now armed with said rulebook!

I'm not sure it does as it sounds rather like the OP and the greyhounds were on private property which the greyhound owner resides on. Otherwise I'm not sure why she mentioned them being apartment dwelling neighbours. If that's the case the only rules that apply are the rules of the complex.

Advertisement