Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Dogs be on a Lead in a Public Place?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

OK you didnt use the words "flout the law" but you did say "This law dates back to the time when greyhounds were only working dogs and not considered pets. There are many pet greyhounds who are perfectly fine off lead, so hopefully one day they won't be subject to such a rule" This would lead people(me anyway) to believe that you would have no problem with flouting the particular part of the law(section 10) that requires Greyhounds to be kept on a leash......

And yes I appreciate your point that no breed of dog should be allowed run up to children.

There are thousands of dogs of all size and breed who are fine off lead and who are kept under effective control (as required by law) even while off leash but many local authorities have their own bye laws requiring that all dogs be kept on leash at all times.

The whole Control of Dogs Act needs to be updated not just Section 10!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

garkane wrote: »
    but many local authorities have their own bye laws requiring that all dogs be kept on leash at all times.

Which ones? I remember a discussion about Dun Laoghaire - Rathdown proposing such a bye-law but which are the many LAs that have actually enacted such bye-laws?

Just checked, DL-R have no such bye-law, just some restrictions about parks and beaches.

Well I'm living in Lucan and walk my dog in 3 seperate parks here, all three parks have signs saying all dogs must be kept on a leash at all times, I also walk my dog on donabte beach, same applies there too.. Thats just 2 area's of which I know of.

http://environment.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=163&Itemid=207 Go to Leashes then section C

I cant find anything on the fingalcoco.ie website about leashes..

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/environmentcultureandcommunity/findit/environment/animalcontrol/#Bye-Laws - yes you now have it, even at a place near you this applies!! All dogs must be kept on leash at all times!

Well I'm living in Lucan and walk my dog in 3 seperate parks here, all three parks have signs saying all dogs must be kept on a leash at all times, I also walk my dog on donabte beach, same applies there too.. Thats just 2 area's of which I know of.

http://environment.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=163&Itemid=207 Go to Leashes then section C

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/environmentcultureandcommunity/findit/environment/animalcontrol/#Bye-Laws - yes you now have it, even at a place near you this applies!! All dogs must be kept on leash at all times!

Neither of your links say anything even remotely like what you are claiming. Tbh, councils in this country have nothing like the power you are assuming they do.

I'm not assuming anything, I know full well the powers they have. What I'm saying is that they do not implement them or enforce them like they should.

In relation to my links they clearly do say what I'm claiming your obviously not reading it. I'm not going to get into a long debate dragging this thread further and further away from the original question asked.

• Advertisement

In relation to my links they clearly do say what I'm claiming your obviously not reading it.

No it really, really doesn't not. Unless of course some/all council owned parks somehow means all public places. Which, clearly, it doesn't.

iguana wrote: »
    No it really, really doesn't not. Unless of course some/all council owned parks somehow means all public places. Which, clearly, it doesn't.

Clearly I said Parks in Lucan and Beach in Donabate I fully understand the definition of a public place therefore I never mentioned all public places :rolleyes:

Also those links if you read them clearly you will read it says in respect of dlrcoco link "Under the Parks Bye Laws it is an offence for a dog to be off the lead in parks in the county with the exception of Killiney Hill Park and the specific offleash area in Marlay Park and Shanganagh Park"

And with respect of the sdcc link it states "c) All dogs must be leashed when in Council owned parks."

Clearly I said Parks in Lucan and Beach in Donabate I fully understand the definition of a public place therefore I never mentioned all public places :rolleyes:

Also those links if you read them clearly you will read it says in respect of dlrcoco link "Under the Parks Bye Laws it is an offence for a dog to be off the lead in parks in the county with the exception of Killiney Hill Park and the specific offleash area in Marlay Park and Shanganagh Park"

And with respect of the sdcc link it states "c) All dogs must be leashed when in Council owned parks."

This was the statement you made which I asked you to expand upon; "but many local authorities have their own bye laws requiring that all dogs be kept on leash at all times." Not one single local authority has that bye-law, nor, afaik, do they have the power to enact such a bye-law.

Ok i'm done :rolleyes:

Ok i'm done :rolleyes:

Twice a day, everyday for about 15 months I walk my dogs in an area of SDCC which is not a council owned park and as such it's perfectly legal for me to walk my dogs off-lead at whatever time I like as long as they are under my control. I actually checked that with the council before I moved here.

The difference between what you claimed initially and what you have proved with your links is vast. All the rolley eyes on the boards won't change that.

• Advertisement

Ok Maybe i'm not done..

As my posts went on you asked for more clarification, thats all I did. Never once in any of my posts did I say all public places at all times.

Maybe I should have said, in coco owned parks all dogs must be kept on a lead at all times, this would have made you understand what I was getting at..

In addition to this and in reference to your comment "Not one single local authority has that bye-law, nor, afaik, do they have the power to enact such a bye-law"

If you have a read of the DUN LAOGHAIRE-RATHDOWN COUNTY COUNCIL
    PARKS BYE-LAWS UNDER THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT, 1994
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/environmentcultureandcommunity/findit/environment/animalcontrol/#Bye-Laws go straight to the following sections; 1(a), 1(b), 1(c), 4(c), 10(a), 10(i)

The above sections outline and give the definitions of the word Park, who has the power to enact the bye-laws, what they can do and the fines involved if they choose to prosecute. I will add is that I do realise these bye-laws are very rarely enforced.

I apologise to the OP for this post being dragged away from the original topic but I feel it is still relevant to the point and the law is the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

In my experience, before my mum got her small dogs and I finally got mine, i was petrified of dogs after a bad experience when I was younger.

If a dog was off lead, I didn't care if it was a terrier to a great dane, I did not want to be anywhere near them... especially the ones which came up for a big sniff and their owner (From 10 yards away) shouts "it's okay, he/she's friendly". I didn't give two hoots.

It's the height of ignorance in my opinion to have an unleashed dog, you don't know what child/cyclist/car/animal you will meet. How is anyone 100% sure their dog wouldn't act up, or in more cases of children, they do something to the animal and the animal defends itself??

My lovely two JRT are on leash at all times outside for their own safety. I've had kids pull my dogs tails and try to slap them on the head, not nice. I love my dogs and if anything happened to them I would be devastated.

I'd love if dogs could all have designated doggie parks which they could be off leash, with or without other distractions in a controlled environment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hmm; I like a lit of your comments; I've just come from Boston where I was horrified to learn that with virtually no exceptions; all dogs have to be on a lead at all times. The dogs have a small yellow with pee triangle to run free on in the public park; there is little space ( maybe 100 foot) and even in the mountains and wilderness and lakes area out in the sticks where there are literally thousands of acres of wilderness they are not allowed off lead. It really was a terrible thing to see. We all have to share this planet. I've never seen a mire unnatural set of animals with cropped stunted runs :( sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

big dogs yeah, the likes of greyhounds, labs, alsatians etc. People so readily forget that not everyone is a dog-friendly person and dogs that size can be pretty intimidating to the general public, no matter how harmless and dotey you think/know your own dog is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

john t wrote: »
    op asked shd dogs b on lead in public????answer yes....

Can you stop writing posts in text speak please, no-one older than 12 can understand what you are trying to say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O no!!! It's the big dog small dog thing again!!!! Aaaaaaaah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

john t wrote: »
    op asked shd dogs b on lead in public????answer yes....

But if the OP was asking "in your opinion" or was she asking is it a law in Ireland she will get very different answers.

Your opinion is clear, but it is just that, your opinion.

Simple answer, No, unless you live in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

tomthetank wrote: »
    big dogs yeah, the likes of greyhounds, labs, alsatians etc. People so readily forget that not everyone is a dog-friendly person and dogs that size can be pretty intimidating to the general public, no matter how harmless and dotey you think/know your own dog is

If a law like this was brought in, why should the people with fears of BIG dogs be catered to only. What about people who fear all dogs? Some people have a genuine fear of all dogs no matter the size.

Some people feel fear even seeing a dog on the lead.

I 100% agree that off lead dogs should not be allowed to approach other people or dogs, they should be under control and if not they shoud be put back on their lead but - If my dog is under control, as the law states they should be, then really other peoples fear is not my problem.

Advertisement