Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providers in Merrion Square

• 21-09-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was hoping to get UPC in my new place but they have no coverage out in this part of the city. Need to have broadband in within the next week (for work) but I'm worried it might take longer than that.

For that area, who should I be looking at? UPC might be available within the next couple of months so I'd like to keep that option open if I can.

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

You're not going to find a broadband supplier who can set you up in less than a week.
    Your best alternative (for the time being) would be pay-as-you-go mobile "broadband".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Tried the mobile broadband option before and it was a disaster - had me wishing for 56k again. Shame that there's no providers out there that can have me set up within a week. Any suggestions as to who I should be looking at?

Anyone?

Not much difference between all the mobile BB providers to be honest. Best is to check coverage checkers on the respective providers websites and see what theoretical speeds you can get. Then it's just a case of getting a trial from that provider and seeing which is the best in practicality.

Reall don't want to go with mobile BB at all - have found a temp solution to my problem but would ideally like something set up in the next couple of weeks. Have just found out that I don't have a telephone line in the place :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Order a telephone line. Add DSL from a LLU or bitstream vendor of your choice. Viola!

zeris wrote: »
    Order a telephone line. Add DSL from a LLU or bitstream vendor of your choice. Viola!

That's gonna take quite a bit longer than a week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

roast wrote: »
    That's gonna take quite a bit longer than a week...

True but no point putting it off. If the OP ordered the line on the 21st he/she would already be a few days ahead of now. Besides, last post by the OP was that he/she had a solution for the next couple of weeks anyway.

The lesson to learn from this is if you need broadband for work don't move in somewhere in the hope that the bandwidth fairies will arrive riding on the back of the connectivity unicorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

UPC currently upgrading area just east of Merrion Sq.

New box at the corner of Stephen's Place and Stephen's Lane, started work about a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

funnyname wrote: »
    UPC currently upgrading area just east of Merrion Sq.

New box at the corner of Stephen's Place and Stephen's Lane, started work about a month ago.

Not to mention digging up the lane beside O'Dwyers - "Howl at the Moon",
    and digging trenches across the Lower Mount Street to Holles Street Hospital
    that was part my Cycle into work :mad:
    thankfully they fixed up the lane/road now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

eircom will knock in a phone line pretty quick for you these days. The waiting lists are very short indeed.

zeris wrote: »

How long does it take for a line to be installed? Waiting for a response back from eircom at the moment...

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of your post :/

Thanks!

Ended up going with eircom :/ Not ideal but the place never had a phoneline so I had to get them to install it (or should I say they will be installing it).

Hopefully they're okay (went with the 24mb package)...

Ughhh...it will take 2 weeks to have a technician out to install a new line :( Then the guy on the phone told me that I would have to put in a new order for broadband after the line was put in - even though my order went through yesterday. Anyone know what that's all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm suprised a new line install would take two weeks for you, I arranged a new line install into a domestic property and the job was done by 3 days later. In the Merrion exchange area.

Really? 3 days would be ideal but don't think that's going to happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Renn wrote: »
    Really? 3 days would be ideal but don't think that's going to happen!
    My experience was a year ago I suppose but I don't think line installs have been plentiful in the meantime!

Advertisement