Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox 250gb + GoW3 for €185

• 21-09-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

@ HMV

Just picked up a new xbox360 250gb + Gears of War 3 for €185

They also have xbox360 4gb + Gears of War 3 for €160 though not sure why anyone would bother with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

emul8ter25 wrote: »

@ HMV

They also have xbox360 4gb + Gears of War 3 for €160 though not sure why anyone would bother with that.

Jesus thats a great deal!!!! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Harvey Norman have had them at that price now for a few weeks, minus the GOW3 game , wish I'd waited a week to get mine now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

@ HMV

Which branch was this in?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

kessler182 wrote: »
    Which branch was this in?

HMV on Henry street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Rang liffey valley. They know nothing about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

Spent half my lunchbreak walking to Henry street. No such offer exists, hopefully others will be saved the hassle

kessler182 wrote: »
    Spent half my lunchbreak walking to Henry street. No such offer exists, hopefully others will be saved the hassle

In the store, right before the stairs down, they had some xbox360 boxes with the advertisement on them. When i asked for one the guy at the counter knew nothing about it. I went and brought the box with the sign on it down to him and they rung me up for it at 185.

Thats as much as I can tell ya. Dont know if I got lucky and it was a mistake....

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

I popped in to HMV Henry street quickly on my lunch break and my understanding of the deal is that if you buy Gears of War 3, you could buy the 250g 360 for €185 so if as another poster is saying that Hardly Normals are selling it for this price seperately, it's not much of a deal.

Could be wrong as I just popped in and out.

I popped in to HMV Henry street quickly on my lunch break and my understanding of the deal is that if you buy Gears of War 3, you could buy the 250g 360 for €185 so if as another poster is saying that Hardly Normals are selling it for this price seperately, it's not much of a deal.

Could be wrong as I just popped in and out.

Yeah, they tried to tell me that was how the deal worked as well....

but the sign clearly said

"xbox 250gb + Gears of War 3 for €185"

I said its pretty hard to get that deal from what the sign says. Its meaning is pretty clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Yeah, they tried to tell me that was how the deal worked as well....

but the sign clearly said

"xbox 250gb + Gears of War 3 for €185"

I said its pretty hard to get that deal from what the sign says. Its meaning is pretty clear.

Think they might have changed the sign!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Koded_AR_Rose

i was in hmv in the crescent shopping centre limerick , on the 21st of september, i saw this deal and only i had prebooked the limited edition of gears would have bought one there and then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

ya i saw this offer in HMV, cork today and and there were little cards with barcodes on them so staff know to charge the right price?

Can any1 confirm is 185 for the xbox and the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Basically the deal is that your getting the 250GB xbox for €185 when you purchase gears of war 3(€40) with it, So the total is €225 for game and console

I was going to buy it today but HMV don't have stock of the newer matte black 360's :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

So is it 185 for them, or 225?

€225 for Gears 3 and 250GB console.

Still not a bad deal.

Yup, the best bundle going atm, gonna grab it when they get the newer 360's :)

I'm interested in that..... what do you mean, new xbox?

They have discontinued the shiny/Glossy 250GB xbox's in favour of the matte finish, like the 4GB arcade model. Info here

Game have them already but Gamestop and HMV do not...

Is there any difference between them?

• Advertisement

Hardware wise, im not sure. Trying to find that out, but because their so new there's not much info...

I'm looking to trade my PS3 for one of them then, just not sure if I'l get enough....

CombatCow wrote: »
    Basically the deal is that your getting the 250GB xbox for €185 when you purchase gears of war 3(€40) with it, So the total is €225 for game and console

I was going to buy it today but HMV don't have stock of the newer matte black 360's :rolleyes:

Wrong. IT IS €185 for xbox 250gb AND gears 3.

I bought it for €185 at HMV on Henry street.

I happened to be in Liffey Valley yesterday and HMV there were also advertising the deal for €185 for the xbox AND Gears 3.

It is not €225

Looks like they were unsure of the deal at that stage or they have changed it so you got lucky getting both for €185 :)

Confusingly they have 2 bundles on the the moment that include Gears 3, the first is fine and straightforward and is what I bought today €219.99. The second works out at €226... I was told this was because F1 2011 costs €44.99 opposed to gears 3 €40.99 and that price difference is taken into account for that bundle.

Bundle 1
    175732.jpg

Bundle 2
    175733.jpg
    Notice the clever wording of "When you buy..."

CombatCow wrote: »
    Looks like they were unsure of the deal at that stage or they have changed it so you got lucky getting both for €185 :)

It looks like HMV is confused about their own deal. Maybe I got lucky getting it for €185, but then I saw the deal again at HMV in Liffey Valley for the console and gears for €185.

I guess it is hit or miss.

Wish I'd gone to Henry street, I Paid 220 for it on Grafton street

I got mine in henry st today, they seemed to know the right price for each bundle so there was no chance of getting it for €185, seems emul8ter25 was pretty lucky :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wrong. IT IS €185 for xbox 250gb AND gears 3.

I bought it for €185 at HMV on Henry street.

I happened to be in Liffey Valley yesterday and HMV there were also advertising the deal for €185 for the xbox AND Gears 3.

It is not €225

You got very lucky!

They advertised it badly and arseways and according to the law, the store has to sell it at the advertised price. They'll have fixed their advertising pronto after you walked out the door.

In America, it's very popular to change the tags of things around in the store so the item you are buying has a cheaper price on it then it actually is. The customer goes to the counter and is told that's not the price and when they argue that that's what was advertised, the store has to legally sell it at that price.

Kind of like on adverts, you can't sell your item at a higher price than advertised.

So no, it's not €185, it's €225.

(I have written that like fact, but I stand to be corrected. But that's the only explanation I can come up with.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

mars bar wrote: »
    You got very lucky!

They advertised it badly and arseways and according to the law, the store has to sell it at the advertised price. They'll have fixed their advertising pronto after you walked out the door.

In America, it's very popular to change the tags of things around in the store so the item you are buying has a cheaper price on it then it actually is. The customer goes to the counter and is told that's not the price and when they argue that that's what was advertised, the store has to legally sell it at that price.

Kind of like on adverts, you can't sell your item at a higher price than advertised.

So no, it's not €185, it's €225.

(I have written that like fact, but I stand to be corrected. But that's the only explanation I can come up with.)

I'm not a lawyer, but my crude understanding of this is that it falls under "invitation to treat". There is no legal obligation for a shop to sell you the goods for the advertised price. If, however, you are mistakenly charged the lower price, they can't do anything about it.

• Advertisement

so here's what i ended up doing.....

got the xbox 250gb with gears 3 from HMV for €185 (it appears i may have been lucky with that)

brought it down to Game to trade it in for the GoW3 special edition xbox for €99

traded in GoW3 from original deal for €35 and applied the store credit towards special edition xbox

final result:

Gears of War 3 special edition xbox 320gb for €249 :D

bundle includes:
    GoW3 320gb xbox
    GoW3 game
    Crysis 2
    2x Gow3 controllers (new d-pad design)

Advertisement