Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats happened to the Xbox 360 Scene?!!

Options
  • 21-09-2011 4:02pm

I feel like ive been away from the scene for years, but its only been 2 months and everythings changed!

I had an 360 that I grabbed from ebay about 9 months ago, it was already flashed with the latest liteon firmware and not banned from Xbox live, of course as you expect the bleedin thing got RROD, so instead of repairing it there and then I left it and got over excited about the PS3 modding scene:rolleyes:

So I decided to return to my Xbox and give it a fix, of course as you would expect Microsoft have introduced a new update, so off I go to try and update my machine only to find it wont update because of the modded firmware I have.

I discover that I have to reflash the origional stock firmware and then the new liteon firmware?

And here lies my problem, I havent got a clue what to do next. Do I need to have the codes for my drive which is a Samsung because obviously buying the thing of ebay I dont have the origional codes, so is the box useless to play my games online?

I then see that there is something called the glitch trick coming aswell as this other device called the 360key?

So whats the best course of action, is my current modded console only good now for offline playing, and am I better off buying a new 360 and buying the 360 key or waiting for the glitch trick?

Im really confused about the whole thing and would be greatful for some advice!

Many Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ricochet69

Well it depends on what you want from your xbox. You have mentioned several things here which are unrelated.

Firstly the reset glitch hack and jtag are both used to try and run homebrew software (the reset glitch hack being very new)

Are you going to use your xbox offline or do you want to use it online?

is your xbox now flagged (they dont seem to be "banning" consoles at the moment just flagging them to be banned) check using xval (google it)

is the drive that came with your xbox what was originally in it, does it play games still? if so you can just do a dump to get the key.

the 360key is what they call an original drive emulator, its very new and plugs between your dvd drive and the motherboard. It allows you to play games off an hard drive and as of today it was announced works with xbox live (although there may be a new type of ban for this)

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

First off, a modded console should never be used online, you're breaking the Terms of Service of Xbox Live. The fix you're using is not a fix, it's a band aid. The only "fix" for an RROD is to scrape off the lead-free solder used under the CPU/GPU chips and replace it will lead. This is called a reball and costs about €60. It's not a guarantee, but it's the very best effort at a solution and has very good success rates. But anyway....

Microsoft decided to roll out their new X3GD game disc format which allows 1GB of extra data storage space amongst a few anti-piracy measures. In the future most, if not all, game discs will be X3GD. To support this new format, DVD drive firmware has to be updated, so starting at Dashboard 2.0.13xxx.0 any update will proceed to flash your DVD drive. The fact you have iXtreme should not hinder any update attempt, the firmware is simply replaced with official stock firmware.

Then comes the creation of the 360key and other ODDE (Optical Disc Drive Emulators). You open your console, and unplug the SATA drive data cable. You connect the data cable to a part of the x360key, and then connect a cable from the x360key to the disc drive. Now you have the x360key sitting in the middle of the data path so the data goes like this Disc Drive ----> x360key ----> Console. The only thing is, the x360key has another input ..an external hard drive with game ISOs. When in Disc Drive mode it operates as a passthrough, so none of the data from disc drive is touched, it's like it isn't even there. And when in USB mode it emulates, or pretends to be, your DVD drive. Like iXtreme, you need to set you DVD Key in the x360key device. And to get that you need to read it from your DVD drive. The sole purpose of this device is backup playback/piracy, and as such to talk about it any more is probably not allowed by the charter. The XODE is pretty much the same thing, another ODDE for the 360.

There once was the JTAG exploit, an exploit on the xbox 360 kernel that allowed us to run free60/Xell/Xellous because the check that code due to be run was signed by Microsoft was removed. With this check defeated we could run modified (unsigned code). So they modified the xbox 360 dashboard software to remove more checks for unsigned code and a few other things, and the rest is JTAG history. Microsoft copped on to what was happening and released a console update in August 2009 that updated the kernel and also recorded the unique identifiers of the two exploitable kernels so they would never run on that console again. Once you had the new kernel, no more JTAG. And with lots of people playing games released after August 2009, or going on Live, lots of people got that update and JTAGs became quite elusive and pricey :)

But now we have the glitch hack. Unlike the JTAG that exploited a software flaw in the bootloader, the glitch hack exploits a hardware flaw. A true hardware flaw, by it's nature, can only be fixed with new hardware. The theory goes that the glitch hack is a true hardware hack, but I'm not an electronic engineer/reverse engineer so I guess time will tell because if it isn't, Microsoft will patch it like they did with the JTAG one.

That being said, the glitch hack is a timing hack designed to trigger a processor bug using electronic pulses or signals. Using some extra hardware that is soldered to the motherboard the glitch hardware slows down the processor, sends a small reset pulse and instead of actually resetting, the slowed down CPU bugs out and allows unsigned code to run. All versions of xbox 360 except the very old non-HDMI versions are exploitable, including the slim. There is no dashboard/kernel requirement or anything like that, everyone's a winner :P

The glitch hack isn't quite as mature as the JTAG yet because you cannot run a hot-rebooter yet to load applications like the modified dashboard. This means a glitched console can really only run Xell/Xellous/Free60 and homebrew applications compiled with the LibXenon libraries (which Xell/Xellous/Free60 will look for once they're done booting and spilling all the tech info about your console). So at the minute there is no way to run freestyle dash or anything on glitched consoles. However, GBOOT (glitchBOOT, like freeBOOT on the JTAG) is making progress, and when gboot is done then glitched 360s will be just like JTAG 360s, absolutely magnificent :)

Of course, you still have the option to either leave it at stock or install iXtreme LT on the drive. But every dashboard update you'll have to reflash your drive firmware back to iXtreme after the update flashes it to stock. And you're always running the risk of a ban too. And you don't get homebrew apps or awesome dashboards. Your call :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

The Xbox scene is very much alive my friend you have a spoofed drive and the update to 13599 can't proceed until you extract the key and flash it the intended drive (probably a liteon) a customer of mine had this issue just recently.

Thanks for the replies guys, something to mull over, slight problem im having at the moment though is my xbox wont update to the new Xbox firmware, it keeps coming up with a error code and telling me to contact Microsoft.

Its an old version without HDMI, any guesses as t owhy this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ricochet69

Thanks for the replies guys, something to mull over, slight problem im having at the moment though is my xbox wont update to the new Xbox firmware, it keeps coming up with a error code and telling me to contact Microsoft.

Whats the error code?

• Advertisement

You have a spoofed drive and the update won't process until the intended drive is replaced, you need to extract the key from the spoofed drive and flash it to an original replacement, I'm guessing it's a Hitachi drive since you said it's a non-HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

justryan wrote: »
    You have a spoofed drive and the update won't process until the intended drive is replaced, you need to extract the key from the spoofed drive and flash it to an original replacement, I'm guessing it's a Hitachi drive since you said it's a non-HDMI.

All of my Xenon consoles were Samsungs :)

justryan wrote: »

All of my Xenon consoles were Samsungs :)

To be sure the OP should extract the firmware from the Samsung and open the dump in JungleFlasher to see if the firmware was spoofed.

Advertisement