Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting + Minimum Term Leases

Options
  • 21-09-2011 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm looking at renting a house for a year or more and notice that all the houses I've looked at online have minimum leases of 1 year.

This is fine and I understand about protecting the landlord and tenant.
    I've never broken a lease and hope I don't have to but in these times of uncertainty I can't say my job is going to be here in 6 months time and I'd rather have some opt out clause in the lease - giving adequate notice etc, but without losing the deposit or being liable for the rent for the remaining period.

Is it normal to negotiate these break clauses into leases?

Or is it the norm to accept the fixed term without break clauses and hope for the best if the worst happens?

Most places seem to be let by letting agents who do not want to discuss this possibility - I'm guessing they may lose out in their own contracts with the landlord if the lease is broken.

Looking online, there seems to be lots of houses lying unrented for quite a while - surely a bit of flexibility on behalf of the landlord/letting agent regarding leases may reduce this stock of vacant houses.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A break clause is not unusual to be honest- and indeed, can be viewed as a positive by both tenant and landlord. Its hard enough for most landlords to find reasonable tenants at the moment, other than in high demand locations, unless they have a queue of people at the door looking to rent the property- it would be normal to negotiate-

1. a reduction in the rent for the property (aka if its advertised at EUR800 a month offer 650 and see what happens
    2. a breakclause at 6 months with a set of pre-defined conditions attached that can trigger the clause (such as redundancy for example).

If a property has been vacant for a protracted period of time- it is certainly in a landlord's interests to be as accommodating as possible, towards potential tenants.

Advertisement