Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal GAA Question

Options
  • 21-09-2011 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how many All Ireland Senior Football Winners Medals Fingal players playing for Dublin have won while playing with clubs based in Fingal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how many All Ireland Senior Football Winners Medals Fingal players playing for Dublin have won while playing with clubs based in Fingal?

That's a tongue twister, you can add Paul flynn and bryan cullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

I don't think anyone will have a full list but with everyone's input we may give it a shot.

Bryan Cullen - Skerries Harps
    Paul Flynn - Fingallians
    Michael McCarthy - St Sylvesters (was on the extended panel and togged out on Sunday)

John O'Leary (O'Dwyers)
    Keith Galvin (St Sylvesters)

John O'Leary (O'Dwyers)
    Kieran Duff (Fingallians)

Will add more later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Barry Cahill is a Brigids man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

As Whitehall Colmcilles pitch is in Fingal, can you count Paddy Moran and Paul Clarke from '95?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Balbriggan - O'Dwyers

John O'Leary X 2
    George Wilson X 1

Stephen Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

As Whitehall Colmcilles pitch is in Fingal, can you count Paddy Moran and Paul Clarke from '95?

Ballymun Kickhams too, lets say that the clubhouse must be within Fingal borders. Whats the criteria for the Fingal Hurling team selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

bcmf wrote: »
    Barry Cahill is a Brigids man

Was Kevin Bonner in the Dublin Squad this Summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Dont think so . Think he was one of those (startled earwigs!!!) who were in the 'clearout' a year after Gilroy took over BUT may be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

In addition to those already mentioned:

Sean Murray and Declan Lally - St Brigids.
    Tommy Drumm - Whitehall Colmcille
    Kieran Duff, Dermot Deasy - Fingallians
    Barney Rock, Gerry Hargan, John McCarthy - Ballymun Kickhams

Deasy played for Ballymun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Bobby Beggs, Skerries Harps
    Skerries have contributed to Dublin successes before. Bobby Beggs featured in the side that accounted for Galway in the 1942 decider – four years after winning a medal with the Connacht county – and Sean ‘Yank’ Murray played midfield on the 1958 side that accounted for Derry.

I don't know for sure but I don't think Whitehall had their pitch in Coughran when Dublin won in '84. So he was probably a city player.

It might be better first if we can agree on a list of Fingal Clubs, using the google map on gaainfo.com and the Fingal Map on the Fingal County Council Site I came up with this list. Have I missed anyone?

Fingal GAA Clubs
    1. O'Dwyers Balbriggan- John O'Leary(1995, 1983), George Wilson(1974), Stephen Rooney(1974)
    2. Clann Mhuire Naul
    3. Garristown
    4. Skerries Harps Bryan Cullen(2011) Bobby Beggs(1942),Sean Murray(1958)
    5. Man O War
    6. BallyBoughal
    7. Fingal Ravens
    8. St Patricks Donabate
    9. Naomh Maur Rush
    10. Round Towers Lusk
    11. Fingallians Swords Paul Flynn(2011). Kieran Duff(1983)
    12. St Finians Swords
    13. St Sylvesters Malahide Michael McCarthy(2011) Keith Galvin(1995)
    14. St Colmcille Swords
    15. Naomh Mearnog
    16. Beann Eadair Howth
    17. Na Dubhghall
    18. St Margarets
    19. Ballymun Kickhams Dermot Deasy(1995), Barney Rock(1983),Gerry Hargan(1983), John Kearns(1983), Anto McCaul(1983)
    20. Starlights
    21. Innisfails
    22. St Peregrine's
    23. Erin Go Bragh
    24. Garda( where was this club located before moving to this location?)
    25. St Brigids Barry Cahill(2011), Sean Murray(2011), Declan Lally(2011)
    26. Castleknock
    27. Wild Geese Oldtown
    I ruled out Whitehall Colmcilles as the Fingal Border starts at Santry Demesne. Can anyone confirm that John McCarthy was with Ballymun when he won one of his 3 medals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

It might be better first if we can agree on a list of Fingal Clubs, using the google map on gaainfo.com and the Fingal Map on the Fingal County Council Site I came up with this list. Have I missed anyone?

Fingal GAA Clubs
    1. O'Dwyers Balbriggan- John O'Leary(1995, 1983), George Wilson(1974), Stephen Rooney(1974)
    2. Clann Mhuire Naul
    3. Garristown
    4. Skerries Harps Bryan Cullen(2011) Bobby Beggs(1942),Sean Murray(1958)
    5. Man O War
    6. BallyBoughal
    7. Fingal Ravens
    8. St Patricks Donabate
    9. Naomh Maur Rush
    10. Round Towers Lusk
    11. Fingallians Swords Paul Flynn(2011). Kieran Duff(1983)
    12. St Finians Swords
    13. St Sylvesters Malahide Michael McCarthy(2011) Keith Galvin(1995)
    14. St Colmcille Swords
    15. Naomh Mearnog
    16. Beann Eadair Howth
    17. Na Dubhghall
    18. St Margarets
    19. Ballymun Kickhams Dermot Deasy(1995), Barney Rock(1983),Gerry Hargan(1983), John Kearns(1983), Anto McCaul(1983)
    20. Starlights
    21. Innisfails
    22. St Peregrine's
    23. Erin Go Bragh
    24. Garda( where was this club located before moving to this location?)
    25. St Brigids Barry Cahill(2011), Sean Murray(2011), Declan Lally(2011)
    26. Castleknock
    27. Wild Geese Oldtown
    I ruled out Whitehall Colmcilles as the Fingal Border starts at Santry Demesne. Can anyone confirm that John McCarthy was with Ballymun when he won one of his 3 medals?

Corsendonk, hope you are signing up for Maurs? Great night last night with our friends from EirGrid
    I didnt think he won a medal while playing with Ballymun. Garda played their home games in the Pheonix Park before they moved to Westmanstown.
    Barney Rock also played for St. Josephs Ballamadun near Garristown but then played all his football with Ballymun from where he got his winners medal, after that and I think he might have played a season with Garristown before he retired.

Paddy Reilly, St. Margarets 1974,
    Ciaran Sutton, St. Margarets 1983
    Leo Hickey, Ballyboughal 1963
    Seamus McGuinness, St. Maurs 1958

I think as some here will know lads like Anthony Whyte, Clann Mhuire and Ciaran Griffen, Fingal Ravens and were unlucky not to win medals in 1983. Both were as good as anyone on the team (best I ever played against) but they played in Fingal League and players who played out here were so often overlooked despite often been better than city players. Who said politics and sport dont mix? Oh Anthony Tormey Garristown should have been in there also. Unsure about Joe Watson from Skerries.
    The one player who was hardest done by from what I hear was Packy Farren of St. Maurs. I heard at a function about 10 years ago he was better than any half back Dublin had from 74 to 77. Two inter county players i spoke to reckoned he was the best player they came up against. He was never given a fair chance. Some say this still happens but not as much as it did. I would question that tho

Con Martin, Rush.

Martin was born in Rush, Co. Dublin in 1924 and played GAA in his teens and was called into the Dublin senior panel aged just 18, helping the Dubs to the Leinster title in 1942. However, at the same time as lining out for Dublin, he was also playing soccer for Drumcondra. When this was discovered, Martin was expelled from the GAA and it wasn't until 30 years later that the Association eventually agreed to award him the Leinster medal he won.

He joined Irish League side Glentoran in 1946 and was selected for Ireland's tour of Iberia in 1947. After making his debut against Portugal, he was selected in goal for the second match against Spain. His performance in a historic 1-0 win sufficiently impressed Manchester United to offer him a contract, but Leeds United offered him a contract as an outfield player at the same time and he opted for Elland Road. While Manchester United became one of the strongest sides of the time, Leeds floundered, but it didn't stop Martin winning 30 caps, the last of which was in 1956, and scoring six goals.

Had he not been expelled he would have gone on to win, along with Bobby Beggs his All Ireland Medal in 1942.

An honorary member of this list perhaps.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Con Martin, Rush.

Had he not been expelled he would have gone on to win, along with Bobby Beggs his All Ireland Medal in 1942.

An honorary member of this list perhaps.

He was I believe actually caught by someone from Aer Corps who were a very strong G.A.A club at the time. They had people going to games and watching for players playing under false names.

Looking back at his achievments Con must be one of Irelands greatest sportsmen. Was also on first team to travel overseas and beat England at Goodison in 1948 but the claim it was Hungary in 1954 with Puskas and Co, "The Mighty Magyars"

Not sure if Paddy Ellis from Skerries was on Dublin Panel in 1977. I remember him playing in championship around 1978/79 for Dublin.

Sonny Leonard from Rush played with O'Tooles in early 1920s when Dublin won All-Irelands in 1921,22,23,. Will check details later

Keith Galvin St. Sylvesters was left half back in 1995 . Martin Barnes and. Donal McCarthy both St. Sylvesters may also have been on panel.

Padraig Doherty and Brian Irwin both Naomh Mearnóg were on panel in mid 90s also.

Stephen Carslake Fingallians might also have been on panel in 1995.
    Unsure of dates for last 3, Doherty, Irwin and Carslake

Con Martin.
    LeoB wrote: »
    He was I believe actually caught by someone from Aer Corps who were a very strong G.A.A club at the time. They had people going to games and watching for players playing under false names.

Looking back at his achievments Con must be one of Irelands greatest sportsmen. Was also on first team to travel overseas and beat England at Goodison in 1948 but the claim it was Hungary in 1954 with Puskas and Co, "The Mighty Magyars"

top60conmartin-75x75.jpg26. Con Martin
    Caps: 30
    Goals:6
    International Career: 1946-1956Position: Centre Defender
    Clubs: Drumcondra, Glentoran, Leeds United, Aston Villa, Waterford, Dundalk
    Club Stats: 328 known games, 22 goalsA former gaelic footballer for Dublin, Con Martin was one of few players to play for both FAI and IFA teams, playing six times for the Northern Ireland side and 30 for the Republic side. Although he played mainly at centre-half, Martin was a true versatility player, even making his Irish debut in goal in 1946 when Ned Courtney was injured against Portugal. In 1950 World Cup qualifiers, he was selected as a forward, scoring twice against Finland and once against Sweden. He also scored the opener from the spot in 1949 at Goodison, helping Ireland to be the first non-UK side to beat England at home.

With apologies for being off thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Great thread :)

How close is Erins Isle to the Fingal border? I have ancestors that have been involved in that club since its foundation.

Also they have Charlie Redmond and Keith Barr who have won AI medals and would be relevant if they were inside the border.

How close is Erins Isle to the Fingal border? I have ancestors that have been involved in that club since its foundation.

Also they have Charlie Redmond and Keith Barr who have won AI medals and would be relevant if they were inside the border.

Erins isle in the city I'm afraid

• Advertisement

Is Darren Daly not a Fingal man. Can't for the life of me remember who he plays for but he is definitely in the Dublin squad.

Is Darren Daly not a Fingal man. Can't for the life of me remember who he plays for but he is definitely in the Dublin squad.

You're spot on Darren Daly plays for Fingal Ravens

Erins Isle is pretty close to the border and for a few years they played in Fungal Challenge Cup but unfortunatley they are outside the boundary used for the new Fingal hurling team and also Fingal county.

Your bang on with Keith Barr and Charlie Redmond I would add Johnny Barr to that and possibly Keith Murray and Niall Crossan but Crossan might have missed out by a year or two.

P.J Buckley won a medal in 1983 scoring a point in the famous final against Galway. He later coached Clann Mhuire of the Naul. A number of teams are just outside the catchment area of Fingal Whitehall Colmcille, Naomh Barrog and Trinity Gaels who would have been major assets to Fingal Hurling

What are the rules for qualifying for an AI medal? If you were called into the panel as cover for one game would you still get a medal?

What are the rules for qualifying for an AI medal? If you were called into the panel as cover for one game would you still get a medal?

The rules have changed somewhat in the last few years. It used to be 21 but from what I gather counties now get medals as counties have very large panels some with as much as 40players but for match days 30 tog out. I think counties can ask to get extra medals struck.

Had Dublin won the Hurling Coanal Keaney would have been hard done by as he was in a motorcycle crash on the Friday before they their Semi-Final so Dublin would have asked for a medal for him and most likley got it.

This might help with anyone that struggles to remember before 1970. Any names from pre 1942 ring any bells?

1891 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

John Kennedy (capt.), G. Charlemont (gl.), G. Roche, J. Scully, T. Lyons, J. Roche, J. Silke, P. Heslin, J. Mahony, A. O’Hagan, P. O’Hagan, Dick Curtis, S. Hughes, S. Flood, T. Murphy, J. Geraghty, T. Halpin, M. Cooney, P. Kelly, R. Flood, M. Condon

1892 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

John Kennedy (capt.), G. Roche, G. Charlemont, J. Roche, J. Geraghty, R. Flood, S. Flood, S. Hughes, F. O’Malley, T. Doran, L. Kelly, P. Kelly, P. Heslin, M. Byrne, J. Silke, T. (“Darby”) Errity, R. Curtis.

1894 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

John Kennedy (capt.), G. Charlemont, Dick Curtis, G. Roche, P. Heslin, T. Lyons, J. Geraghty, L. Kelly, P. Kelly, T. Hughes, T. O’Mahony, M. Condon, M. Byrne, T. (“Darby”) Errity, P. O’Toole, J. Kirwan, F. O’Malley.

1897 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

P. J. Walsh (capt.), W. Guiry, R. Scanlon, L. Kelly, W. Callaghan, E. Downey, Dick Curtis, D. O’Donnell, M. Chambers, V. Kelly, C. Cannon, P. O’Donoghue, R. O’Brien, P. Redmond, J. Matthews, W. Flynn, J. O’Brien.

1898 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

Matt Rea (capt.), J. J. Keane, T. H. Redmond, W. Sherry, J. Heslin, D. O’Callaghan, P. Levey, C. Sargent, P. Redmond, P. McCann, T. Norton, T. (“Darby”) Errity, P. Fitzsimmons, P. Smith, J. Ryan, J. Ledwidge.

1899 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

Matt Rea (capt.), J. Lane, P. McCann, D. Smith, W. Sherry, T. (“Darby”) Errity, G. Brady, John Ryan, J. Norton, J. J. Keane, J. Farrelly, P. Leary, P. Fitzsimons, D. O’Callaghan, J. Heslin, J. Ledwidge, T. H. Redmond.

1901 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

J. Darcy (capt.), J. McCullagh, J. Fahy, D. Holland, T. Doyle, J. O'Brien, B. Connor, P. Daly, M. Madigan, L. Kelly, J. Grace, P. Redmond, M. O'Brien P. McCann, J. Whelan, T. Lawless, V. Harris

1902 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

Home Final. J. Dempsey, S. Mulvey, D. Brady, M. Casey, W. Sherry, J. McCann, T. Errity, J. Keane, J. Grace, C. Brady, P. Daly, J. Brennan, P. Weymess, P. Archdeacon, P. D. Breen, - Dunne.

1906 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

J. Grace (capt.), D. Brady, J. Dempsey, D. Kelleher, J. Brennan, M. Kelly, M. Keane, M. Curry, M. Barry, P. O’Callaghan, P. Casey, H. Hilliard, M. Madigan, T. Quane, T. Walsh, P. Grace, L. Sheehan.

1907 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

D. Kelleher, D. Brady, J. Brennan, J. Grace (capt.), J. Lynch, H. Hilliard, T. Quane, J. Dempsey, P. Casey, M. Curry, M. Barry, M. Madigan, P. O’Collaghan, T. Walsh, M. Kelly, D. Kavanagh, P. Grace.

1908 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

D. Kelleher (capt.), J. Grace, H. Hilliard, T. Walsh, J. Lynch, D. Cavanagh, J. S. Brennan, T. Healy, F. Cooney, J. Brennan, P. Daly, T. McAuley, P. Whelan, P. Fallon, M. Collins, M. Power, J. Shouldice.

1921 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

E. Carroll (capt.), John Reilly, Joe Norris, P. Carey, John Synnott, P. Kirwan, W. Donovan, P. Fallon (goal), John Murphy, Thomas Pierse, F. Burke, C. McDonald, A. Belmain, J. O’Grady, W. Fitzsimons.

1922 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

P. Carey (capt.), J. McDonnell (goal), P. McDonnell, W. Robbins, A. Gibbons, Joe Synnott, John Synnott, Joe Norris, John Reilly, W. Rooney, C. McDonald, Wm. Donovan, P. Kirwan, F Burke, Tom Pierse.

1923 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

John Reilly, P. McDonnell (capt.), John Murphy, Joseph Norris, Joe Synnott, Patk. Carey, P. Kirwan, J. Stynes, Frank Burke, John McDonnell (goal), John Synnott, M. Shanahan, J. Sherlock, P. O’Beirne, L. Stanley.

1942 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

C. Kelly, R. Beggs, P. Kennedy, C. Crone, P. Henry, P. O’Reilly, B. Quinn, M. Falvey, Joe Fitzgerald (capt.), J. Joy, P. Bermingham, Gerry Fitzgerald, M. Fletcher, P. O’Connor, T. Banks.

1958 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

P. O’Flaherty, L. Foley, M. Wilson, Joe Timmons, C. O’Leary, J. Crowley, J. Boyle, John Timmons, S. Murray, P. Haughey, O. Freaney, D. Ferguson, P. Farnan, J. Joyce, K. Heffernan (capt.). Subs: Maurice Whelon for Murray; P. Downey for John Timmons.

1963 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

P. Flynn, L. Hickey, L. Foley, W. Casey, D. McKane, P. Holden, M. Kissane, D. Foley (capt.), John Timmons, B. McDonald, Mickie Whelan, G. Davey, S. Behan, D. Ferguson, N. Fox. Sub: P. Downey for P. Holden.

The L. Stanley from 1923 could possibly be Larry Stanley who won 6 leinster medals in a row with Kildare from 1914. Players moved counties with work back then and actually up to recently. The former Garda Sargent in Rush Mick Ryan a native of Knock Co. Mayo played for Mayo, Cavan and Louth. This year Billy Joe Padden played for Armagh and holds a Connaught medal with Mayo

Before that you can can see the amount of changes in teams and this was because clubs who won the county title went on to represent their counties in Hurling and Football championships. A lot of the teams back then were made up of people who worked in a certain trade like bakers, carpenters, Railways and retail. I read where St. Maurs played against Inchicore Hibs and G.N.R in various competitions. The Civil Service club is still going as is the Garda club but Clann Colaist Mhuire folde a few years ago but are making a comback under some other name I believe

Mickey Whelan centre forward on 1958 and coach to winners in 2011 a massive 48 years later

Slightly off topic but I came across this
    Lucan Sarsfield Website
    Lucan won the Intermediate Football League in the 1904-05 season. It is reported that they did this with the help of five players from Balbriggan. The story goes that in 1902 a team call Balbriggan Wanderers won the Intermediate League and then for some reason or other went out of existence in 1904. One of the players on that team was a man named Paddy Richardson, who was a fish merchant and regularly attended the Dublin market. At the market he met up with Mickey Ashe who was secretary of Lucan and who also worked in the fish market. With the assistance of Tom Clarke, another fish market worker, the Balbriggan men were persuaded to throw in their lot with Lucan and the result was the winning of the league that year.

Slightly off topic but I came across this
    Lucan Sarsfield Website

While that may sound unusual it was common practice back then.

St Maurs had a number of players from Fingal at various times during the years and as recently as 2003 when we won the Inter championship Paddy and Davy Boylan from Lusk played with us. They transferred in from Round Towers. Paddy drives the Fingal C.C bin Lorry and Davy is a butcher in Hacketts on Main St.

Years ago we had Fechin Maxwell from Ballyboughal and Martin Ging who was from Kildare both winning medals with Maurs. Fechin Maxwell is always represented at our Annual Mass. There were 1 or 2 from Skerries also. We also had players who played with bigger clubs. Sonny Leonard O'Tooles and St. Marys, Martin Leonard played for Clann Na Gael beside the Irish Glass bottle company.
    Last year Whitehall won the U/16 "A" Hurling Championship with Conor Cary and Conor Moran from Rush both on the side and the U/15s with Conor Carey, Eoghan Ryan and Jack Higgins. They contined to play football for Maurs. We could not field a team at these age groups in Hurling but this year we can and they will all be playing with Maurs again.

Currently we have Mr Doran a teacher in Rush N.S who plays adult hurling with Maurs but plays his football for his home Club Round Towers in Lusk who dont have adult hurling.

• Advertisement

This might help with anyone that struggles to remember before 1970. Any names from pre 1942 ring any bells?

1921 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

E. Carroll (capt.), John Reilly, Joe Norris, P. Carey, John Synnott, P. Kirwan, W. Donovan, P. Fallon (goal), John Murphy, Thomas Pierse, F. Burke, C. McDonald, A. Belmain, J. O’Grady, W. Fitzsimons.

1922 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

P. Carey (capt.), J. McDonnell (goal), P. McDonnell, W. Robbins, A. Gibbons, Joe Synnott, John Synnott, Joe Norris, John Reilly, W. Rooney, C. McDonald, Wm. Donovan, P. Kirwan, F Burke, Tom Pierse.

1923 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

John Reilly, P. McDonnell (capt.), John Murphy, Joseph Norris, Joe Synnott, Patk. Carey, P. Kirwan, J. Stynes, Frank Burke, John McDonnell (goal), John Synnott, M. Shanahan, J. Sherlock, P. O’Beirne, L. Stanley..

I would imagine the Synotts in these teams are from O'Tooles. Their clubhouse in Seville Place beside the five lamps was where people signed up for the 1916 rising.

John Synott may also have been responsible for the programme sales in Croke Park for many years or it could be a son.
    1958 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

P. O’Flaherty, L. Foley, M. Wilson, Joe Timmons, C. O’Leary, J. Crowley, J. Boyle, John Timmons, S. Murray, P. Haughey, O. Freaney, D. Ferguson, P. Farnan, J. Joyce, K. Heffernan (capt.). Subs: Maurice Whelon for Murray; P. Downey for John Timmons.

1963 - All Ireland Senior Football Championship - Dublin

P. Flynn, L. Hickey, L. Foley, W. Casey, D. McKane, P. Holden, M. Kissane, D. Foley (capt.), John Timmons, B. McDonald, Mickie Whelan, G. Davey, S. Behan, D. Ferguson, N. Fox. Sub: P. Downey for P. Holden.

These sides had a few players who went on to hold fairly important positions.
    Kevin Heffernan was a big chief in E.S.B and went on to a big job also in the Labour court
    Ollie Freeney was a fairly big accountant and ran a very large business.
    Des Fergusons son Terry went on to play for Meath againt Dublin in the famous 4 in a row saga of 91
    From what I believe a few were appointed by C.J Haughey to various jobs also.The P. Haughey was I think better known as "Jock" a brother of C.J.

I met Jim Crowley on many occasions and he was a fine man as is Mick Moylan who is missing from the teams. Seamus McGuinness got injured before the final in 1958 while playing for Dublin in New York and so missed out. Jim's sons Conor and Niall? were on Dublin minor team in 1982 and U/21s with Steaky O'Carroll from Balbriggan. There are some good links between teams from various era's

Advertisement