Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B2B, who pays returns costs for faulty item

Options
  • 21-09-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

Im trying to define some business processes and wondered if anyone could give me some guidance.

I work for a company that sells IT equipment on to either consumers or businesses...mainly businesses.

If we sell a hard drive and it fails at the moment we cover the cost of getting the drive back from the customer - to the supplier/manufacturer (usually in the UK), supplier sends item back to us and then we send back to customer. I am finding in a lot of cases the margin we make on the drive in the first place is spent on shipping costs.

Can I ask a business to cover the costs of sending the item back to UK supplier/manufacturer - is this legal?

Anyone know the details - I believe its different depending on wether its a B2B or B2C sale?

Let me know

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Business customers would obviously be treated differently to consumers as they do not have the same statutory rights but for consumers you would be expected to pay for the return of faulty goods but goods returned for Change of mind or under the cooling off period would not be covered and the buyer would be responsible for shipping costs

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Lyndan

Thanks.

So if I sell to a consumer I pay for the return to the manufacturer and then I guess I could get the manufacturer to ship direct to the end user the replacement

Anyone know how B2B should work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Lyndan wrote: »
    Anyone know how B2B should work?
    Depends on your contract; I've had it both ways with IT products.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It all depends what's written in the SLA or contract.

Moved to Entreprenurial & Business Management

dudara

Advertisement