Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New BMW M5

• 21-09-2011 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Lads, I'm at the launch of the new M5. Only thing I can say is....wow.

Bloody hell it is fast

We wil post up a review after midnight (embargoed until then)

Paddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Ap4nE0c2c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

That is one great sounding motor and im a merc fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Damn but I'm jealous. Lucky man.

Sounds tasty alright. Liking the turbo whistle. Not too sure bout them wheels though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sounds tasty alright. Liking the turbo whistle. Not too sure bout them wheels though.

Plus one.

The colour though... Nyom nyom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Typical V8 sound :D

I wonder how the switch from V10 N/A to V8 turbo will be received by the press...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Plus one.

The colour though... Nyom nyom

Totally with you there LM. Originally watched on the phone in work. When I got home, the missus wanted to know why I was trying to wake the child up with "that racket" comin out of the laptop.

Feckin women!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Missus just gave out to me there too for "trying" to wake the baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭CompleteCarGuy

The 5-arm alloys are actually a lot nicer. It will be available in Matt Black too.

unkel wrote: »
    Typical V8 sound :D

I wonder how the switch from V10 N/A to V8 turbo will be received by the press...

It is brutally fast - it doesn't quite have the auditory thrill of the last one, but Jesus Christ it shifts and stops, thankfully. You need to recalibrate your brain driving these. 4.4 seconds to 100km/h, 13 seconds to 200km/h. Mad stuff

It is brutally fast - it doesn't quite have the auditory thrill of the last one, but Jesus Christ it shifts and stops, thankfully. You need to recalibrate your brain driving these. 4.4 seconds to 100km/h, 13 seconds to 200km/h. Mad stuff

That's a good bit faster than the V10 E60 M5 (507BHP). It is even faster than the V10 RS6 (580BHP)

Makes one speculate the BHP might be over 600BHP? :eek:

• Advertisement

560hp / 680Nm

Aye, I was typing my post before you published your review. Well before midnight at that, are you not going to be in trouble over that? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

That's a good bit faster than the V10 E60 M5 (507BHP). It is even faster than the V10 RS6 (580BHP)

Makes one speculate the BHP might be over 600BHP? :eek:

Wonder if the on the road cars will match the (pre)review cars... :cool:

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Wonder if the on the road cars will match the (pre)review cars... :cool:

C'mon, this is a BMW. Maybe other manufacturers from Japan or even Italy use unethical means to promote their cars, but here it is what you see is what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Aye, I was typing my post before you published your review. Well before midnight at that, are you not going to be in trouble over that? :)

Depends what time zone the midnight embargo was decided on I'd imagine? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Some machine alright, blistering performance. Would have been nice for it to break the 4 second barrier though, will have to wait for the next one for that.

Depends what time zone the midnight embargo was decided on I'd imagine? :P

I suppose you are right and the OP is still on continental european time :)

Would have been nice for it to break the 4 second barrier though.

C'mon your expectations are way out of here. 5s is very fast. Just over 4s is near supercar performance. Unimaginable for a big saloon and never done before until now. Under 4 is supercar and under 3 is hypercar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Once upon a time, a few years ago, fishtits was looking at doing several trips a year to Geneva. I thought about doing them by car, thought about an M5 vs a 535D.

Given the M5 fuel consumption its was impractical, I'd be stopping every hour and a half... The 535D would give several hours extra.

Who buys these things (the M5) ? and what do they do with them?

C'mon your expectations are way out of here. 5s is very fast. Just over 4s is near supercar performance. Unimaginable for a big saloon and never done before until now. Under 4 is supercar and under 3 is hypercar

I don't think so, put it this way, its 6 years since they launched the E60 M5 and all they've shaved off is a mere 0.3 of a seconds for 0-100kph. I completely understand the lower you go, the massive power you need to get even 0.1 shaved off, but maybe if they hadn't made the thing so damn heavy (it appears to be 100kg heavier than the E60) it wouldn't be too far off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Fishtits wrote: »
    Once upon a time, a few years ago, fishtits was looking at doing several trips a year to Geneva. I thought about doing them by car, thought about an M5 vs a 535D.

Given the M5 fuel consumption its was impractical, I'd be stopping every hour and a half... The 535D would give several hours extra.

Who buys these things (the M5) ? and what do they do with them?

Most people buy em to commute to work or just to go for a blast at the weekend. The e60 was woeful for range, I saw an E39 Zurich registered silver one here parked down in UCD during the last month- so there's a CH to Dublin blast in an m5!
    I actually lived in Zurich - going back my car is waiting for me it's a 745d and will pull the head off you right up tithe limiter and cover huge mileage without having to stop for the black stuff.

I don't think so, put it this way, its 6 years since they launched the E60 M5 and all they've shaved off is a mere 0.3 of a seconds for 0-100kph. I completely understand the lower you go, the massive power you need to get even 0.1 shaved off, but maybe if they hadn't made the thing so damn heavy (it appears to be 100kg heavier than the E60) it wouldn't be too far off the mark.

I'd imagine that two turbos, intercooler and all the relavent piping would have something to do with that.....

So unless they started putting carbon fibre boots / bonnet / etc all over the shop, i'm not really sure where else there'd be a substancial weight saving to be made? Unless they took the Mazda approach and re-engineered every nut and bolt to shave grams off each part...

Well i'd expect the V8 to weigh less than they V10, surely the turbos etc can't weigh that much more. Then again the F series chassis is very different from the E series.

A bit of carbon fibre wouldn't go a miss for €140k! :D Wonder why they never gave it a fibre roof like the M3.

Cos the 5 series is the old manbusinessman series

:pac:

I suppose you are right and the OP is still on continental european time :)

Yep - it was midnight here in Spain! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Estimated price €140,000? B.S It'll probably be an extra 20k on top of that judging by the price of super cars in this country.

Costs €100,000 new in Germany.

An S class AMG costs €350,000 new in Ireland, €140,000 in Germany...

****hole country!!

Amazing looking car though, would love to hear it in the flesh.

Edit: 4.4 M5 4 dr Saloon Manual € 132,240

I'll believe it when I see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Estimated price €140,000? B.S It'll probably be an extra 20k on top of that judging by the price of super cars in this country.

Costs €100,000 new in Germany.

An S class AMG costs €350,000 new in Ireland, €140,000 in Germany...

****hole country!!

Amazing looking car though, would love to hear it in the flesh.

Edit: 4.4 M5 4 dr Saloon Manual € 132,240

I'll believe it when I see it!

That's the official price that's now been set my BMW Ireland - and if you consider that €43,000 odd of that is VRT and we have higher VAT than Germany (21% v. 19%).
    So in fact BMW are selling the M5 and indeed quite a few of their high end cars at lower base costs to other States.
    And I haven't the time to check but I'm quite sure we even get a higher spec than the Germany Market does as is the case with the 5 & 7 series .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

heate wrote: »
    That's the official price that's now been set my BMW Ireland - and if you consider that €43,000 odd of that is VRT and we have higher VAT than Germany (21% v. 19%).
    So in fact BMW are selling the M5 and indeed quite a few of their high end cars at lower base costs to other States.
    And I haven't the time to check but I'm quite sure we even get a higher spec than the Germany Market does as is the case with the 5 & 7 series .

Germany is not in recession, whereas Ireland is. But the government doesn't see it that way of course..

Still, €40,000 for a few extras? Curse this country :p

Advertisement