Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multimedia a go go

• 21-09-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently in the process of cranking up my skill level in a number of areas. By the end of my adventure I'll be able to create a fully interactive multimedia site for my novels (or more accurately, the world my novels are set in.)

So, a few questions...

Which, in your opinion, would be more effective: A website to act as an intro to the novels, or a website that complements (thanks BW) the novels?

How much of the world should I reveal on the website? My books are all about werewolves and such things, but I'm getting feedback that I'm doing it in quite a different way than most, so do I spell out "the rules" on the website, or should the reader learn such things as they go?

My books reference a lot of real world locations, I was considering setting up an interactive map where you can click on locations and see video footage. Will this help the reader, or is it more likely to ruin the locations they've imagined?

Just a few points I'm wondering about... :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I'm currently in the process of cranking up my skill level in a number of areas. By the end of my adventure I'll be able to create a fully interactive multimedia site for my novels (or more accurately, the world my novels are set in.)

So, a few questions...

Which, in your opinion, would be more effective: A website to act as an intro to the novels, or a website that complements (thanks BW) the novels?

Go for a complementary website. Seems like it would work better
    How much of the world should I reveal on the website? My books are all about werewolves and such things, but I'm getting feedback that I'm doing it in quite a different way than most, so do I spell out "the rules" on the website, or should the reader learn such things as they go?
    Give folks a rough idea as what to expect rather than leading by the hand through every little detail
    My books reference a lot of real world locations, I was considering setting up an interactive map where you can click on locations and see video footage. Will this help the reader, or is it more likely to ruin the locations they've imagined?
    I like this idea quite a bit. Might be a boon for your readers who live outside of Ireland and may not be as familiar with the geography of the region.

Advertisement