Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help starting car

• 21-09-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

honda `crv`07
    car non responsìve, key not triggering the locks. Opens manually but nothing from ignition.

new car battery put in recently. No spare key at the moment, will have it soon. little red light on key flashes, not sure if it always does that

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No ignition lights at all? Sounds like a flat (car) battery to me. Why was the last battery replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

no response from anything whatsoever. Battery was in bad shape so atlas replaced it during the summer.

Found post elsewhere that the red light on key is indicator of key battery failure. pretty sure it doesnt always come on.

qwife on way home now so can try her key. Typical though, am bringing child to hospital for planned overnight stay, the bed will be gone by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 minty247

minotour wrote: »
    no response from anything whatsoever. Battery was in bad shape so atlas replaced it during the summer.

Found post elsewhere that the red light on key is indicator of key battery failure. pretty sure it doesnt always come on.

qwife on way home now so can try her key. Typical though, am bringing child to hospital for planned overnight stay, the bed will be gone by now!
    your car should still start even if key battery is dead. sounds like your battery. You may have something draining your battery.

minty247 wrote: »

your car should still start even if key battery is dead. sounds like your battery. You may have something draining your battery.

Yeah seems most likely alright, what would do that? I pointed it out to atlas before and they couldn't find anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Yeah seems most likely alright, what would do that? I pointed it out to atlas before and they couldn't find anything
    I'd bring it to an auto electrician - if you're anywhere near Camden St then Hamiltons are good and very reasonably priced. In the meantime, you'll need a jump start.

• Advertisement

thanks, gave her a jump and shes grand again, definitly something worng with her though, ill take her in i suppose.

cheers, was panicing a bit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 minty247

thanks, gave her a jump and shes grand again, definitly something worng with her though, ill take her in i suppose.

cheers, was panicing a bit there.
    what about the car????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

child going in to hospital, no time for for jumpstarting anything id say :)

minty247 wrote: »
    what about the car????

he's here all week folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

During the summer the neighbours car had the same problem. Got a new battery, same thing still happening, needed a jump start every morning. I had a quick look, it was the boot interior light not going off when the boot was closed. Thats just one example of what can cause it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

maybe ur a alternator is shagged? in some cars once its started you can actually disconnect the battery and the car will run away fine. actually my honda does it. but if the alternator is not kicking in when the batt is low it wont charge it. hence when you just jump started it it runs fine. go get ur alternator tested to see what the story is. maybe its just not chargeing it enuf they can be reconditioned for between 80-100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

dax121 wrote: »
    maybe ur a alternator is shagged? in some cars once its started you can actually disconnect the battery and the car will run away fine. actually my honda does it. but if the alternator is not kicking in when the batt is low it wont charge it. hence when you just jump started it it runs fine. go get ur alternator tested to see what the story is. maybe its just not chargeing it enuf they can be reconditioned for between 80-100.

This is far from recommended practice!!!

Do not disconnect / reconnect battery while engine is running, much more harm than good will come.

Advertisement