Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with this place?

Options
  • 21-09-2011 6:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭

I've been passing this place on the way into town for over a decade now, and it's always been derelict:not once have I ever seen it being occupied. It looks like it was built fairly recently; about 10-12 years ago. Its bordered by a motorbike shop/Chinese restaurant on the left and a light shop on the right and its to your right on the Harold's cross road as you go into town. Is there anyone who's lived in the area for some time who can shed any light as to why this building is derelict? Just curious to know. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Think it used to be a car dealers, was rebuilt (sorta) and left as is..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Yes, it was a car dealers and it's been like that for, I'm guessing, at least 15 years. Used to live around the corner and I vaguely remember something to do with a plan to build apartments and/or office units which ran into planning problems. Construction reached the stage you now see and was abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Ooh, Scott's have a nice Africa Twin outside :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

ollaetta wrote: »
    Yes, it was a car dealers and it's been like that for, I'm guessing, at least 15 years. Used to live around the corner and I vaguely remember something to do with a plan to build apartments and/or office units which ran into planning problems. Construction reached the stage you now see and was abandoned.

Looks like a massive waste of property. I'm guessing whoever owned the land kept holding out for the megabucks during the boom until it crashed and it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

Looks like a massive waste of property. I'm guessing whoever owned the land kept holding out for the megabucks during the boom until it crashed and it was too late.

greedy!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 babar2964

I don’t know how to put this to make it easy, but then again, its not like the past few years have been the easiest, right?” I blush.

babar2964 wrote: »
    I don’t know how to put this to make it easy, but then again, its not like the past few years have been the easiest, right?” I blush.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

While we're on the topic of idle developements in Harold's Cross can anyone tell me what's the story with this?

Google maps

It's not like it is in the photo's, got a load of work done but things seem to have ground to a halt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

Hmmm, can anyone tell me something about this building at 30 Portland Row, just off the North Starnd

http://g.co/maps/wfgan

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

While we're on the topic of idle developements in Harold's Cross can anyone tell me what's the story with this?

Google maps

It's not like it is in the photo's, got a load of work done but things seem to have ground to a halt...

Used to be Itchy Feet (infamous night club) amongst other things.. be a while before this re-opens I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Hmmm, can anyone tell me something about this building at 30 Portland Row, just off the North Starnd

That's Aldborough House, think it was/is owned by Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I've often been curious about This weird little bungalow. It's in the Tenters, so maybe someone from D8 could help?

It doesn't fit in to the architecture of any of the surrounding buildings, and it doesn't make sense that it's just there, in front of a semi-D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Google maps

Shut a successful pub Quinlans (formerly the Terenure House) back around 2007 and applied for planning permission for shops and 40 odd apartments which was refused due to the scale of the development. Seems they had no Plan B and then the economy dived anyway.

When it was done up and painted a while back the rumours were of a Spar or a Lidl/Aldi but zilch has happened since.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Its albrough hosue. I asked the same question on a thread last year and got a good few websites with info on it. It was built as a city mansion but think the chap was a bit of a looper. Was used as a school at one stage. I,ll try find my post from last year and get the websites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Compustore on Stephen's Green?

Update: Went past the building i mentioned in my first post last night in a taxi and saw scaffolding around it, looks like something's being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There are so many derelict buildings in Dublin, often beside or between new buildings. A good example is this block, just opposite the entrance to James's Hospital, between the Chandlers Guild and Phoenix View. An awful block, sandwiched between developments. People using the red line of the Luas will be well used to seeing it:

Eyesore

If the building boom ever gets going again, there should be some sort of condition on the developers to renovate buildings like these when they are building new developments. There would be issues around ownership of these sites, but as much as possible should be done to at very least upgrade these buildings if they are not being knocked. It takes a shine off some developments to have this kind of thing adjoining them. It would be preferable to deal with sites like these rather than starting new developments on good sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a lot of work going on on the building (the op) at this very moment. i passed by it half an hour ago and the yard at the front was full of heavy plant

Advertisement