Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Phd query

Options
  • 21-09-2011 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I have just finished my MA course in English and am expecting my final results in a few weeks. Would a high result give me a chance at getting into a paid Phd course? I know one or two friends who have got into a Science Phd based on the strength of their results. Does the same apply to English? I've found precious little information on the website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'd imagine the best advice you'd get would be from your lecturers, course co-ordinator etc. They will know the system, how it works and who you should talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

The route to a PhD in Arts/Humanities/Social Science is different to that in science and engineering.
    It is easier to 'fall' into a PhD in the latter. To get funded for an English PhD in Ireland, you'd probably need to either be extremely lucky and manage to get some internal funding or get IRCHSS/external funding.

I'm sure if your results are strong and you really want it, you could get the IRCHSS with strong letters of reference, proposal etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yeah, PhD funding in the humanities is much rarer. In the sciences there are 2 rought categories - Funding that the department has gotten for a particular project, which they are looking to take a PhD to do, or funding that the PhD student has sought out to do their own research (through an IRCSET application)

Most people who "fall" into a science PhD do it through the first type - they have good grades, interview for a spot in a programme, and get it. The really bright and dedicated people generally approach a possible supervisor, get them to sign off an an IRCSET app, and send it in - if they are awarded funding, they then do their own thing.

In the humanities, as far as I can tell, the second of these paths is the only way to get funding - have great grades, have a great idea, get a supervisor on board, and get them to sign off on your IRCHSS app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Raphael wrote: »

In the humanities, as far as I can tell, the second of these paths is the only way to get funding - have great grades, have a great idea, get a supervisor on board, and get them to sign off on your IRCHSS app.

And even with all that the success rate for IRCHSS funding applications is down to around 12% these days I believe, due to funding cuts.

Essentially OP you're extremely unlikely to get funding for a Humanities PhD...sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Blut2 wrote: »
    And even with all that the success rate for IRCHSS funding applications is down to around 12% these days I believe, due to funding cuts.

Essentially OP you're extremely unlikely to get funding for a Humanities PhD...sadly.

17.6% - 100 granted, out of 566 applicants. But next year may be worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Ah, perhaps the 12% figure is the expected one for next year - thats the figure I've heard thrown about most recently anyway. Not good odds anyway either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

If your results are strong and you're willing to move to the US, you'll find that (at the best universities) funding is relatively easy to get for PhD programmes. Most of the top universities give their students either fellowships or teaching assistantships that allow them to live. The fees are generally waived.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rails

Reegis wrote: »
    I have just finished my MA course in English and am expecting my final results in a few weeks.

Oh are the final results out by the end of October? I hope its the same for all MA's in English.

Advertisement