Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiroom AV Setup with Squeezebox

Options
  • 21-09-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Ive been asked to design and install an AV system for a person who has cabled her whole house.

She wants to be able to break up the music into 4 areas, and control each seperately (volume, skip track, etc)

All cables are going back to a cabinet. I have yet to speak to the electrician about how he is terminating everything so so far there are loose cables

I am putting in a Synology nas box (either the 211j or 411) to act as a media server but also to act as a backup device for her computers

I was going to put 4 seperate squeezeboxe radios into the cabinet, and connect the speakers for the different areas to that areas squeeze box. They can then control the squeeze box through the iPhone or Android apps

There are a number of TV's that will be using WD TV Live players to connect to the NAS Box for movies and the like

So what do i need?

1. Is 4 Squeezebox Radios the way to go? Very limited budget here, 3K all in to include my time!!
    2. How do i connect the Squeezeboxes to the speakers? There seems to be a stereo headphone output on the Radio, splice all the speakers into a 3.5mm jack and plug them in??
    3. Am i doing this correctly? is there a better way to do it, under budget?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

I'm a massive fan on Sonos...you will need 4 = ~€1.8k. Speakers is dependent on how fussy, I got decent ones that do grand for €100 a pair. Then use an iphone or itouch or android whatever (good bet has one already) app to control it. Really really really easy to set up (see their web page)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

Can get audio distribution systems for really quite reasonable prices nowadays, particularly in terms of good graded equipment. If video distribution is handled by streaming 1k or thereabouts could see you with a very good audio system with built in tuner, dvd, mp3, cd including speakers and keypads.

The likes of nuvo if available graded are fantastic buys as although expensive new the kit itself has a nice feel and prices are much lower, their support is raved about online too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

If squeezebox is the way you want to go, you don't even need 4x units.

I have a full PC running SqueezeCenter (or whatever it's called thee days). There's a piece of software called squeezeslave (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83362) that emulates a squeezebox. I run 4x copies of this on the PC and have an m-audio delta 410 pci card that gives me 4x stereo outputs.

These are connected to t-amps and speaker cable runs from these to the 'zones' that are controlled via iPhone or pc or whatever that can interface with SqueezeCenter.

I've found this to be a flexible set-up and definitely a poor-mans whole-house audio system.

Advertisement