Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Japanese- Questions.

• 21-09-2011 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,
    Just started fifth year and have began learning Japanese, with aspirations of taking the Japanese LC next year.
    Just have a few quick questions on the contents of the course for any who have sat the exam or are preparing to sit it.
    I am aware of the list of required kanji found in the syllabus, but do all the meanings and readings of each kanji need to be known? For the oral, is the standard equivalent to other LC languages or is it comparable to JC languages ?
    Finally, when compared to JLPT, where does Leaving Cert Japanese stand ? N5, N4 or N5 ? I have received mixed reports on this question and obviously there is no one definitive answer, but would be interested to hear the opinions on here.
    Regards to those who answer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

BioDiverse wrote: »
    I am aware of the list of required kanji found in the syllabus, but do all the meanings and readings of each kanji need to be known? For the oral, is the standard equivalent to other LC languages or is it comparable to JC languages ?
    Finally, when compared to JLPT, where does Leaving Cert Japanese stand ? N5, N4 or N5 ? I have received mixed reports on this question and obviously there is no one definitive answer, but would be interested to hear the opinions on here.
    Regards to those who answer

Yeah you need to know lots about Kanji, in the exam you'll be asked to write the furigana and the meaning.

I think the oral standard is more equivalent to JC

The JLPT standard is 4 really. If you have passes 3 you'll be comfortable, if you have passed 4 there won't be anything new either though.

Best of luck, i'm struggling hugely to study for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BioDiverse

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
    When you say that you're struggling hugely, what in particular are you finding difficult ? How big is the workload for the course ? Is it feasible in two years ?
    Finally, last questions, what book did you use and are you studying the subject independently or in a class ?
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
    When you say that you're struggling hugely, what in particular are you finding difficult ? How big is the workload for the course ? Is it feasible in two years ?
    Finally, last questions, what book did you use and are you studying the subject independently or in a class ?
    Thanks

I'm studying independantly, so i'm struggling with the oral side, and just consistent practising it on the whole really.

2 years is loads of time.

I'm using Nihongo Kantan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BioDiverse

So for you, the oral is the most difficult aspect of the course is oral work ?
    What makes it so ? Is it genuinely awkward or is it getting consistent practice in the main problem ?
    On Nihongo Kantan, what do you think of it ? Does it comprehensively cover the course and all the kanji ?
    What do you expect to get in the exam ?
    Thanks

What makes it so ? Is it genuinely awkward or is it getting consistent practice in the main problem ?
    On Nihongo Kantan, what do you think of it ? Does it comprehensively cover the course and all the kanji ?
    Thanks

Sorry mate, only saw this now.

I do struggle with it the most. Because I have really no drive to prepare for the oral, I love learning Japanese, but when your studying all night you don't want to have make yourself go over topics of basic conversati0on with nobody.

I can't stress enough how easy LC japanese is, if your going into 5th year now, with a teacher, who gives you homework, and you do 30 mins a day up until the exam you have an A1 in the bag.

I just struggle to find the time to get it in when it's not part of my homework.

The Book is sufficiant if you have a teacher if you do not, it leaves a lot of gaps. So I also used Japanese for busy people, they're very simple work books that really cover basic grammar and vocab, very, very slowly.

Also there are tons of online resources, if your not working this summer keep up your studies!

In terms of course content Nihongo Kantan covers everything, including all Kanji, rather well.

I dunno. If I don't do any work I'll just take the pass paper, I have 6 honours besides. So I can't really tell you yet. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement