Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last dairy feed

• 21-09-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

hey lads,meal bin empty, will milk for another 10 weeks, what nut or ration would suit for the last fill of the year, last fill was 16% protein,cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

quota status?

cow condition ?

Grass/ winter feed condition

what is available from your supplier and cost ?

all above will determine what to feed

we are approx 13% over quota, feeding no meal

spring calving herd milking 21ltrs. @ 4.45 b/f and 3.85 Protein

will be milking OAD in 2 to 3 weeks time to get back to approx 5% over quota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

got a good 18% for €250 yesterday, just to tode me over til next week.As purchasing group meeting is next week .Had a terrible job yesterday , had to open the hatch on the meal bin and get crap that was left in it out, last load i got was warm going in and caused endless problems:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

snowman707 wrote: »
    quota status?

cow condition ?

Grass/ winter feed condition

what is available from your supplier and cost ?

all above will determine what to feed

we are approx 13% over quota, feeding no meal

spring calving herd milking 21ltrs. @ 4.45 b/f and 3.85 Protein

will be milking OAD in 2 to 3 weeks time to get back to approx 5% over quota

very good snowman, im ok for quota, cows in good condition, supplier is quoting
    235 /tonne for 16% ration, ordered today

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

whelan1 wrote: »
    got a good 18% for €250 yesterday, just to tode me over til next week.As purchasing group meeting is next week .Had a terrible job yesterday , had to open the hatch on the meal bin and get crap that was left in it out, last load i got was warm going in and caused endless problems:mad:[/

Thanks whelan 1, ordered 16% ration today 235/tonne, truck was in the area.
    horrible job cleaning out bottom of bin, all get caught with that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

im paying 285 for 18% nut. its a high maize nut. am i paying well over the odds?
    Do you know what ingredients are in the rations costing 235 and 250?

• Advertisement

have the docket in my pocket, 18% dairy nut. barley, sunflower seed ext, p=rapeseed ext, soya bean hulls, maize gluten feed, citrus pulp, soya meal dehulled, milk solids extract, calcium carbonate, magnessium oxide, palm oil, , trace elements, sodium chloride, novatan 50.
    protein 18%
    oil3%
    fibre 12%
    ash 11%
    blah blah blah:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

what sort of respone are you lads hoping to see from meal at this time of year. cows milking well dont think i will bother plenty of grass around.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stagg88

Just when i see you say your cows are giving 21 litres at 3,85 protein is there jersey in any of them? Thats pretty good figures for this time of year and the weather the last few weeks! I ask really because Im curious what line to go down next year with the ai. Our genetics rep is saying stay away from the jerseys but the fj seem to singing them from the roof tops. I no the fj isnt the be all and end all but I wanna no what anyone else thinks. Proteins at approx 3.5-3.6% and 23 gallons a day. Really what im asking is the jersey crossbreed the way to go

stagg88 wrote: »
    Proteins at approx 3.5-3.6% and 23 gallons a day. Really what im asking is the jersey crossbreed the way to go
    23 gallons a day :eek: would be sticking with whatever you are using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

stagg88 wrote: »
    Just when i see you say your cows are giving 21 litres at 3,85 protein is there jersey in any of them? Thats pretty good figures for this time of year and the weather the last few weeks! I ask really because Im curious what line to go down next year with the ai. Our genetics rep is saying stay away from the jerseys but the fj seem to singing them from the roof tops. I no the fj isnt the be all and end all but I wanna no what anyone else thinks. Proteins at approx 3.5-3.6% and 23 gallons a day. Really what im asking is the jersey crossbreed the way to go

I assume typo and 23litres, but why consider changing with that production? The important question is are you making a comfortable living and happy doing it?

High input/high output, low input/low output, Holstein, BF, Jersey, everyother dairy breed, OAD, robot etc and profit are not mutually exclusive. Each done well will give a good living, the converse is true too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

Hey guys, just starting back milking again and i'm wondering what should i be looking for in the dairy feed this time of year, and,the price range out there...
    i'm presuming high energy,high protein with magnesium included,(cows going out as they calve). so far i've priced 2 high energy 18% dairy nut..one €280 the other €260.
    also..what do ye start your calves on.. the bags of crunch run into a sweet bit of money..is there any reason why a weanling mix could'nt be used to get them going..

oooge1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just starting back milking again and i'm wondering what should i be looking for in the dairy feed this time of year, and,the price range out there...
    i'm presuming high energy,high protein with magnesium included,(cows going out as they calve). so far i've priced 2 high energy 18% dairy nut..one €280 the other €260.
    also..what do ye start your calves on.. the bags of crunch run into a sweet bit of money..is there any reason why a weanling mix could'nt be used to get them going..
    on the calf front, dont give them weanling ration , the reason the calf crunch is a bit dearer is its what the calf needs, for the rumen to develop, i feed calf crunch til they are 6 weeks along with hay, then move them on to calf grower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

I'd say a 16% high energy maize based nut and either order small quantities and don't get all calmag requirements put in just incase the have to go back in. On the calf meal i use a high spec pellet, only slightly cheaper than crunch, wouldn't use some of the mixes that are been sold at the moment, too much poor ingrediants.

Advertisement