Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused first time buyer!!

Options
  • 21-09-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

This has probably been done so many times so i apologise in advance.

Myself and my gf are looking to apply for a mortgage, I just have a few quick questions, ive had a savings direct debit for 3years and so has my gf we are very good savers, the only thing is when i was in college i maxed out my student credit card approx, I always paid the minimum due but never really cleared it that was three years ago and have had good credit since and havent any other loans, would that be a stumbling block???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

So you were servicing the debt at the max up until 3 yrs ago, when you cleared the debt entirely ? If that's the case, it won't count against your credit rating at all unless you actually missed or were late with payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Paid off the debt eithin a month of getting a job, never had any correspondence about missing payments or anything and has i said its probably closer to 5years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'd guess that credit-history wise you're fine. Even if you missed a payment by a couple of days I don't think CC companies would move that quickly to register a judgement against you.

I was kind of in a similar boat - 99% of the time I just pay off the entire balance but once or twice I forgot to make the payment and then got a reminder and cleared it straight-away. I applied for a mortgage and was fretting that this might come up but nothing was said and we got a loan offer. Lord knows, they might could well still find a way to pull the offer when I try to act on it, but at least the credit check doesn't seem to be a problem.

Advertisement