Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into woodwork

Options
  • 21-09-2011 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Im kinda flirting with the idea of doing a bit of woodwork to pass some time (unemployment is a b!tch). Ive seen a few different books that I;ll probably buy, but before I go spending money, Im just wondering--

generally speaking, is woodwork an expensive hobby?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It can be - just like any other activity. It all depends on what sort of woodwork you want to do and how you plan to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TankGuy

I only done woodwork in school but have always wanted to give it a go as a hobby. I reckon the basics you need would be a workbench, good vice and your tool set. I think you may get the tools and vice cheap enough in lidl or aldi when they have deals on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi damo, I have no work shop no bench and just a few basic tools and I started building wooden boats with no woodworking skills by just buying bits of wood as I can afford them and forming the parts as I need them so anything is posable if you put your mind to it :D Woodworking can be as cheep as a penknife and a bit of wood or as expensive as a wood turning lathe it all depends on what you want to do " woodworking was around long before powertools" You would be amazed at what you could make with just a hammer and a saw :D
    Best of luck it's a great way to pass the time and very rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Hi Folks,

I have been into building model boats etc since the age of 15. I got into furniture building about 10 years ago.
    The beauty is there are a wide variety of areas in woodwork that a person can get into , anything from using a lathe to just carving. Carving can be rewarding but you need patience and time i'd say to achieve a good skill base.
    I have found when trying to build various pieces of furniture that you'll always need 'another tool' to finish the job. Thankfully I have most of them at this stage. It can be expensive depending on what you want to do.
    It's easy enough to stick with something and become quite good. Some people would be like this. I find I constantly need a challenge and like to try different things. This though requires constant reading on the subject and trying things out.
    If you ever need timber supplies, there's Morgans Timber in the port area of Dublin, Abbey woods in Baldoyle industrial estate and theres also a place near newcastle I forget the name ....
    Anyway, give me a shout if you need any info.. good to have to fellow woodworkers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Its a great hobby if only to get you out of the house. ! Forget the kitchen table, you need a shed as a lotta sawdust gets made. All projects begin with two things- crosscutting and ripping so a small table saw is ideal. After that a planer thicknesser frees you from the tyranny of pre-planed stock and alows you to buy hardwoods.It gives you control over your dimensions.After that there is always the 'next must have' so start small and learn the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nick0

Hey!!
    I enjoy working with wood and would love to be able to build custom furniture and bits.
    i have a frw tools like a cheap tablesaw and a few hand tools. Have a small shed. Where is the best place to start?
    Thanks.

Advertisement