Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samaritans volunteering

• 21-09-2011 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone on here has ever worked as a volunteer for the Samaritans. It's something I have been thinking of for a while, although I am not sure if I am equipped to do it.

Is there training?

If anyone that has done it can share their experiences, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

*Mods please move if there is a more appropriate forum. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I applied to do it but work commitments at the time prevented me doing the training. One question i was asked at interview really stumped me. I was asked first of all how would you cope with an abuse victim ringing up and then the stumper. What way would you react if an an abuser rang up suicidal and started talking about what they'd done?. Really tough question's so be prepared for them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

There is a volunteerism forum you might get more answers posting there. You come across in your posts as a caring kind person someone who would lend a sympathetic ear so maybe it would suit. I think though you would need to be confident of switching off when your shift was over or it could be all consuming. Well done for contemplating it, without volunteers the world would be a much poorer place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thanks guys.

I didn't realise there was a volunteer forum :confused:

I wanted to do this years ago in Australia. There was training and I could not do it as I worked nights. I can't remember how long the training was for though.

I have the time on my hands now... I've been contemplationg it for months tbh.

Thanks is mise astra :) I really wish I had got into counselling when I went to college all those years ago instead of media. Ah well, you live and learn.

Mods, can you move this to the volunteering forum. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Schnooks

Hi SF27

This is what I wrote over on the volunteer forum to answer a similar question from another poster, quoted below in blue. It's a big committment and the most important thing that a volunteer needs to have is empathy. I can see that you do have this as you post some very good replies to alot of people's problems on here.

Feel free to ask any questions or PM me for more info if you like.

You will have to get 2 friends or workmates or family or whoever, to fill out a questionaire on you and how they think you would handle various situations.

A week or 2 after the open night, there is an interview. That can be fairly tough as they like to get under your skin if they can. But what I would say is be open, don't try and hide stuff, there is nothing about you these volunteers will not have already heard in their normal call-taking duties. Not everyone is called for interview, and not everyone interviewed is selected for training. And of couse, not everyone finishes the training.

The training can be fairly gruelling at times, but can be great fun at times also, and there is a great cameraderie in the Samaritans.

I am 3 years there now, and the the awful upsetting times are far outweighed by the sense of satisfaction that you have helped someone just by listening and asking leading questions, but never judging or giving advice.

It also makes you a better listener in real life, and you may find that people tend to talk to you alot about personal issues, even though they have no idea you are a volunteer, but they recognise that you have empathy and are a good person and don't run away from other poeples problems. As was said at our open night, anyone who is applying to be a Samaritan is already a good person.

All in all I am very proud to be a Samaritan. It wouldn't be for everyone, the fact that you are not allowed offer advice is off-putting for alot of people. Go to the open night with an open mind. And good luck wink.gif

Thanks schnooks :)

So if you don't offer advice, do you say... what exactly? Is it a case of just listening and saying 'how did that make you feel?' etc etc.

I don't expect to be offering advice, I am not a trained counsellor, but just curious as to what you say.

I know there is a Samaritans where I live and apparantly the guy in charge is a friend of a guy on another charity I volunteer for.

I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say :)

Thanks a million for all the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

I know one person who does it, and have spoken to him about it.

One thing to be prepared for - multiple folks working there will have been on the phone with someone who they think/know has gone on to commit suicide. How would you deal with this?
    Also, as stated above, you need to have the ability to both empathise at the time, yet be able to switch off afterwards and go back to your normal life without it taking over.

I considered it but decided against it as I dont think I could switch off.

Edit - oh, and the lack of advice thing seems odd, but makes sense also. You can give them information about where to get advice/counsellors etc but you just cannot do it yourself. Id imagine a sense of powerlessness myself but the guy doing it does manage it ok and thinks its worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI :cool:

fungun wrote: »
    I know one person who does it, and have spoken to him about it.

One thing to be prepared for - multiple folks working there will have been on the phone with someone who they think/know has gone on to commit suicide. How would you deal with this?
    Also, as stated above, you need to have the ability to both empathise at the time, yet be able to switch off afterwards and go back to your normal life without it taking over.

I considered it but decided against it as I dont think I could switch off.

I suppose it is hard to know if I would be able to switch off or not. I don't want to not try it for fear I won't. I suppose if it turned out I couldn't then I'd have to cross that bridge when I came to it...:)

Thanks schnooks :)

So if you don't offer advice, do you say... what exactly? Is it a case of just listening and saying 'how did that make you feel?' etc etc.

I don't expect to be offering advice, I am not a trained counsellor, but just curious as to what you say.

Tha's about the size of it Sunflower27. It's all about respecting people's right to self-determination, we don't try and talk them out of whatever road they have planned for themselves, but we do ask why they think that it would be the best option and how do they think they would feel to die/self harm/whatever.

Most of us are not trained or qualified to offer advice, we are just ordinary people at the end of the phone/email or sitting across from the distressed person in a meeting room (there are face-to-face callers too).

The thing that most surprised me when I started is that, by asking leading questions i.e. getting the caller to open up about what is making them distressed or suicidal, they may talk for an hour or more and come to a solution or plan of action themselves. But it's the first time they have ever spoken about stuff that is deep within them and that they cannot share with anyone in their regular life. You might be surprised how much that helps people in severely distressed states and very often, but not always, they end the call alot more confident about the future than when they started it.

Also to be a good volunteer, you must get right down there in the depths of despair with the caller and not be afraid to do that. We are not there to cheer them up, that's not our purpose - we are there to offer emotional support in times of despair.

Hope this makes sense, good luck if you decide to give it a go, I'm sure you would be a very good addition to the Samaritans. Let me know if I can be of any other assistance or if you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Just saw the other post about switching off. I am pretty ok at this, sometimes there is the odd very upsetting call that stays with you, especially when you are new.
    But I guess as you get more experienced at dealing with peoples' problems, you learn to leave it behind when you leave the centre at the end of your shift.

Great advice Schnooks. I'm actually really looking forward to it now.

I'll definitely be in touch with you once I contact the Samaritans and find out the next step.

Top advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

i have applied to do volunteer work with aware and have been trying to get insights into what will be expected of me , had also considered the samaritans but it doesnt suit at the moment . This thread had been a great help , thanks

Sunflower27 , i would really appreciate it if you could let me know how you get on with the selection process , only if you feel comfortable with that , thanks .

Seres wrote: »
    i have applied to do volunteer work with aware and have been trying to get insights into what will be expected of me , had also considered the samaritans but it doesnt suit at the moment . This thread had been a great help , thanks

Sunflower27 , i would really appreciate it if you could let me know how you get on with the selection process , only if you feel comfortable with that , thanks .

No problem at all. I will keep you updated :)

To anyone interested, this is the site to 'register' your interest.

https://account.samaritansnet.org/apply/EqualOpp.aspx?t=YfdyEzVpWOv9N1C84vN0GA==&f=sUu1LE7FNVwz0p2N+Zgr2g==&l=HiiBmamjkUzMoz9MkS8few==&c=JNHg9ijI8wjO5IeQAO/AHQ==&s=1

I have received an emailing stating that my details have been forwarded to my local branch and have got a bit of information about the training programme. Am pleased to see it in extensive enough.

To become a listening volunteer you don’t need previous experience or formal qualifications but you do need to be able to listen and not judge people. Samaritans training team has developed an initial training course within your local branch, which will normally be held during weekends or evenings. The training consists of eight 3-hour modules, which will usually be delivered over a six to eight week period. It is essential that you attend all eight modules.

No problem at all. I will keep you updated :)
    great , look forward to hearing back , best of luck in the meantime :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I went to one of their open evenings a few years back. It was insightful, if a understandably heavy. I know someone in the UK who's a Samaritan, said she once had to stay on the line whilst a person died (possibly suicide). Don't think I'd be up for that.

I went to one of their open evenings a few years back. It was insightful, if a understandably heavy. I know someone in the UK who's a Samaritan, said she once had to stay on the line whilst a person died (possibly suicide). Don't think I'd be up for that.

That's rough alright, but I suppose the one thing to take from it is that he/she did not die 'alone'. I'd look at it from that point of view.

Very sad though.

I haven't heard anything back yet... hopefully next week.

I've just been offered an internship through jobbridge so hopefully the training is in the evenings. Am fairly sure it would be.

That's rough alright, but I suppose the one thing to take from it is that he/she did not die 'alone'. I'd look at it from that point of view.

Very sad though.

I haven't heard anything back yet... hopefully next week.

I've just been offered an internship through jobbridge so hopefully the training is in the evenings. Am fairly sure it would be.

thats a thoughtful way to look at it , seeing their need rather than your own
    Sounds like you would definitely be an addition

thats a thoughtful way to look at it , seeing their need rather than your own
    Sounds like you would definitely be an addition

Thanks Seres, what a lovely thing to say.

I suppose in that situation, and when a person is at that stage, there is little anyone can say that will suddenly make the pain go away or make them see a light at the end of the tunnel.

They have usually been in pain a long, long time.

I watched a documentary called The Bridge a short while ago. It was filmed over a year at the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco - where someone commits suicide on average every two weeks.

It was heartbreaking to watch, but it showed me how comitting suicide isn't something someone just does on a 'bad day'. For many of those that did it, they were carrying around emotional pain every waking moment for years.

I watched it about a month ago and I think it was pivotal in me deciding to sign up for the Samaritans. These people need an outlet to pour out their hearts and not be judged.

I can offer that :)

Thanks Seres, what a lovely thing to say.

I suppose in that situation, and when a person is at that stage, there is little anyone can say that will suddenly make the pain go away or make them see a light at the end of the tunnel.

They have usually been in pain a long, long time.

I watched a documentary called The Bridge a short while ago. It was filmed over a year at the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco - where someone commits suicide on average every two weeks.

It was heartbreaking to watch, but it showed me how comitting suicide isn't something someone just does on a 'bad day'. For many of those that did it, they were carrying around emotional pain every waking moment for years.

I watched it about a month ago and I think it was pivotal in me deciding to sign up for the Samaritans. These people need an outlet to pour out their hearts and not be judged.

I can offer that :)
    I think i saw a doc on that before too , its great though that you are acting on that feeling , rather than just saying i must do something and then forgetting bout it . I think alot more people are struggling now with this sort of thing since the eco crisis , im an accountant and i see this

I think i saw a doc on that before too , its great though that you are acting on that feeling , rather than just saying i must do something and then forgetting bout it . I think alot more people are struggling now with this sort of thing since the eco crisis , im an accountant and i see this

I agree, a lot more people are in need of someone to listen to them. Times are tough and it's worrying the amount of people racking up debt, for example, that can't see an end to the bad times in sight.

It's incredibly sad that anyone would not be able to see how precious life is and see suicide as the only answer.

It's heartbreaking.

• Advertisement

its ironic really how i see it sometimes , some people bought houses to offer them a sense of security and in alot of cases now its the noose around their necks , wheres the comfort in that

its ironic really how i see it sometimes , some people bought houses to offer them a sense of security and in alot of cases now its the noose around their necks , wheres the comfort in that

I see what you mean. It's a really bad time for so many people and yet I don't think I have seen much in the way of advertising for services for those that feel suicidal as a result of debt/unemployment.

Why is there not a massive campaign? I'd have thought tackling the incidence of suicide should be something high up on the agenda.

Suicides are generally not reported in the media out of respect to families.
    But is anyone monitoring the incidence of it?

There was a campaign called 'Soften the f*ck up' launched in Australia for tackling suicide, specifically among young men. I don't know why something similar is not being pushed here as a matter of urgency.

Why keep it hidden? It's pretty disgraceful if you ask me.

Why is there not a massive campaign?
    There was a campaign called 'Soften the f*ck up' launched in Australia for tackling suicide, specifically among young men. I don't know why something similar is not being pushed here as a matter of urgency.

Why keep it hidden? .

Government dont want to plunge money into it , they have no real roll out plan and its quite an ambiguous area to tackle , hence very costly .Apparently there are more deaths from suicide annually than from car accidents , but road deaths gets more coverage , greater interest to the boarder population and a more defined problem to address , IMHO

Rang the local samaritans up today to see bout recruiting , they have the winter training done so next phase starts in spring
    How long ago did you apply ? did you send in a garda vetting form ?

Government dont want to plunge money into it , they have no real roll out plan and its quite an ambiguous area to tackle , hence very costly .Apparently there are more deaths from suicide annually than from car accidents , but road deaths gets more coverage , greater interest to the boarder population and a more defined problem to address , IMHO

Rang the local samaritans up today to see bout recruiting , they have the winter training done so next phase starts in spring
    How long ago did you apply ? did you send in a garda vetting form ?

I only applied last week, through the online channels. Will contact them direct tomorrow.

That's a real shame if I have missed out :(

I only applied last week, through the online channels. Will contact them direct tomorrow.

That's a real shame if I have missed out :(
    id say it was just the centre , sligo , if you sent it in last week and they had stopped recruiting for the moment they wouldnt keep you waiting , i send an application for aware last friday week and have gotten nothing since , i assume they are waiting to get garda clearance first , and whos knows there might be a hold up there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭black & white

It happens from time to time although the training is very good in preparing you for all eventualities and they have an excellent system in place if you feel you need to talk to someone if you need to.

Rang my local branch and it seems they are currently training new recruits. It closed last week. Am pretty gutted.

On the plus side, they embark on the training programmes every three months so I can sign up for the next one in January.

The guy I spoke to was lovely. I asked if there is anyway I can be put on the current training and he said he would have to speak to the woman in charge. I don't think I will be able to, to be honest, but worth a shot :)

Rang my local branch and it seems they are currently training new recruits. It closed last week. Am pretty gutted.

On the plus side, they embark on the training programmes every three months so I can sign up for the next one in January.

The guy I spoke to was lovely. I asked if there is anyway I can be put on the current training and he said he would have to speak to the woman in charge. I don't think I will be able to, to be honest, but worth a shot :)
    Ah thats a pity , you could try aware !
    On the up side , it can be a new years resolution to help others , what a great way to start off a new year !

Ah thats a pity , you could try aware !
    On the up side , it can be a new years resolution to help others , what a great way to start off a new year !

Yep, that's what it will ahve to be - my new years resolution. I can never stick to them but I will for this one :D

• Advertisement

Got confirmation I missed out by a week. Will be applying in January now they have my details on file. :)

Hi there

Some good news. I attended the information night for the Samaritans, had my personal interview and have made it through to training.:)

Just wanted to update everyone that offered advice and support last year.

Really looking forward to getting stuck into it now.

:)

How's the training going SF? It is quite an experience, and can be very intense at times, but ultimately very rewarding too. Best of luck with it, I'm sure you will do very well. Board PI forum is a good starting point for a prospective Samaritans volunteer ;)

Schnooks wrote: »
    How's the training going SF? It is quite an experience, and can be very intense at times, but ultimately very rewarding too. Best of luck with it, I'm sure you will do very well. Board PI forum is a good starting point for a prospective Samaritans volunteer ;)

Hi Schnooks

Thanks for the lovely message. We are on the fourth week of training next week and I have to say I LOVE it. It is intense - we covered suicide quite indepth the last two weeks - but I am not phased at the thought of someone dying on the phone and accept that is something that may well happen.

I have got fantastic feedback from my mentors so I know I was right to do this and the other great thing to come out of it is that I am going to pursue a career in counselling. It is going to take a while to get the money together for the course I want to do, but I am really focused.

I have also met the most fantastic bunch of people. I am so glad I signed up and got through to the training. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Thanks for all the interesting comments. I have just sent of a mail to my local Sams to see if I can get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭black & white

If anyone is interested, an Information Night is being held for Limerick/Tipp Sams tonight in the Barrington St Centre, Limerick starting at 7.30pm. Probably similar nights around the country this week or next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement