Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm advice

Options
  • 21-09-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi

We're doing a fairly big renovation and electrical job on our house, which also has a granny flat to the rear, each with their own alarm systems. We're reconnecting the flat with the house, so we only want one alarm system. The two systems are Aritech, mostly with shock sensors which are 10 -15 years old.

We had an alarm chap round who said it would be best to replace the exisitng systems completely and put in motion sensors, total cost €1000 approx (phone watch quoted €1500).

Does any one know what lifespan Aritech systems have? Given the age of the aritech systems and the fact that we'd need to add/replace a few sensors anyway, do you reckon it would make more sense to spend an extra few pound for a new system, or simply to add/replace a few sensors to our existing system.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

PiRs alone would never be my recommendation. Your alarm wont activate untill someone has actually gained access. At that stage the damage is done.
    Either A Signet (Siemens SPC) 4000 or a HKC Securewave would be your best option. Both have expanders that you could locate at one system. You would only need a single cable between the 2 panels to intergrate them. Shop around & get at least 3 quotes. Insist on a site visit here to ensure everything is covered. Get all quotes in writing & ensure you are comparing like with like.
    Re age of systems. Manufacturers would recommend anything over 10 years be replaced. If the Panels are Aritech CS350s they would not be expandable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

At 10-15 years the alarm system has served you well.
    I would advise you to wire all external windows and doors with a few additional pirs for backup.
    But if you have no intention of putting the alarm on when you're at home then the pirs will be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 F S S

itl be a cs350 alrite defo needs a upgrade recamend a cs 250 + the option of pirs trought the house is the lazy way out, you need something on your windows and doors downstairs at least

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

+1 For the HKC Securewave.
    Covering your windows and doors and installing 2 PIRs is the best option.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I Wouldnt be recommending a CS250.
    Either Securewave or one of the Siemens 4000 range .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭creedp

F S S wrote: »
    itl be a cs350 alrite defo needs a upgrade recamend a cs 250 + the option of pirs trought the house is the lazy way out, you need something on your windows and doors downstairs at least

Im at point of looking to select an alarm system ofr new build and have just noticed (Doh!!) that the builder didn't run alarm cables to the windows of the sunroom? This room has 6 windows and now no possibility of wired window contacts. When asked he replied that he intended that one PIR would cover all six windows. Quite why all other downstair windows and external doors have been wired and not these six I'm at a loss ......

My Q here now is can I mix and match with a new alarm system, i.e. can I have wired contacts where possible and also use wireless contacts for the 6 windows that haven't been wired?

Finally approximately what should it cost to install 8 wired window contacts, 3 external door contacts, 6 wirelss window contacts and say 2 PIRs for a new build. Would like to have monitoring by text. My builder has alarm install in his agreed price but now ............

Thanks

creedp wrote: »

My Q here now is can I mix and match with a new alarm system, i.e. can I have wired contacts where possible and also use wireless contacts for the 6 windows that haven't been wired?
    Yes.
    I would recommend Simens 4000 series or HKC securewave here. Both of these are hybrid systems & can do what yoiu require.
    Finally approximately what should it cost to install 8 wired window contacts, 3 external door contacts, 6 wirelss window contacts and say 2 PIRs for a new build. Would like to have monitoring by text. My builder has alarm install in his agreed price but now
    Is it a complete system you require fitted here?
    Couple of questions?
    Do you want a GSM for text with remote control via text?
    Have you checked your builder is using a PSA licenced installer ?
    (Considering he forgot to wire so many windows:rolleyes:)

KoolKid wrote: »
    Yes.
    I would recommend Simens 4000 series or HKC securewave here. Both of these are hybrid systems & can do what yoiu require.

Is it a complete system you require fitted here?
    Couple of questions?
    Do you want a GSM for text with remote control via text?
    Have you checked your builder is using a PSA licenced installer ?
    (Considering he forgot to wire so many windows:rolleyes:)

Yes to 1st Q above ... its a new house that has been [partially] wired for an alarm

RE: GSM text - is it worth it and how much extra does it cost? I'm assuming without it you have effectively a non monitored alarm. I'm slightly dubious about the benefit of these if the house is a stand alone and may have nobody with earshot during the day. At least with the text notification you could ring someone to go and check. Is it possible to get the text alert without the remote contol setting aspect?

Re: PSA issue .. nothing would surprise me so that's the reason I'll probably just get the alarm installed myself rather than force him to do the job.

Yes to 1st Q above ... its a new house that has been [partially] wired for an alarm

Basic system on that spec would be between €1200-€1300
    Presuming you want inertias & not just contacts.
    RE: GSM text - is it worth it and how much extra does it cost? I'm assuming without it you have effectively a non monitored alarm. I'm slightly dubious about the benefit of these if the house is a stand alone and may have nobody with earshot during the day. At least with the text notification you could ring someone to go and check. Is it possible to get the text alert without the remote contol setting aspect?

Gsm would be between €250-€350
    You could have text sent from a landline PSTN digi depending on your provider . This would be outgoing text only. That would be around €70-€100
    Re: PSA issue .. nothing would surprise me so that's the reason I'll probably just get the alarm installed myself rather than force him to do the job.

Force him to do it?? Why not ask about his licence & see what he says?;)

You could have text sent from a landline PSTN digi depending on your provider . This would be outgoing text only. That would be around €70-€100

Im afraid its not just the alarm Im trying to get him to finish so Im choosing my battles at this point ......... suffice it to say it has not been a very pleasing experience ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 F S S

Im afraid its not just the alarm Im trying to get him to finish so Im choosing my battles at this point ......... suffice it to say it has not been a very pleasing experience ....

The fine for fitting the alarm without a Psa Licence is €5000 for this very reason , tell him ul report him if he doesn't sort the job, gsm dialers are €240 Inc vat in Northwood technology nore road Dublin ind est

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Im at point of looking to select an alarm system ofr new build and have just noticed (Doh!!) that the builder didn't run alarm cables to the windows of the sunroom? This room has 6 windows and now no possibility of wired window contacts. When asked he replied that he intended that one PIR would cover all six windows. Quite why all other downstair windows and external doors have been wired and not these six I'm at a loss ......

Finally approximately what should it cost to install 8 wired window contacts, 3 external door contacts, 6 wirelss window contacts and say 2 PIRs for a new build. Would like to have monitoring by text. My builder has alarm install in his agreed price but now ............

Thanks

With some wire free sensors used you can wire other wired sensors out of them. It will save you a few quid as the price of wire free alone is expensive.

Advertisement